Thinking about investing in a back support belt

dalecooper1

A lot of handlers at my hub have them. My back has been sore before at my old job but it healed and I never had surgery yet, thank God.

If I get a lower back belt will it help prevent an injury? I read an article that if you've never had surgery it could possibly weaken the back muscles.

OBVIOUSLY if I do get the belt that does not mean I should heavy boxes the wrong way. I'm still going to lift the correct way by bending my knees, back straight, avoid all pressure in your back. etc.

rod

Retired 22 years
They were all the rage a few years ago but to be honest I haven't heard anything positive about them. Apparently people who wear them tend to over do what they should be lifting.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are only supposed to tighten the back belt when you are getting ready to lift a heavy object so having it tightened throughout your shift may actually hurt more than help and, yes, they do tend to weaken your back muscles.

Save your money and follow the methods you outlined above.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
A lot of handlers at my hub have them. My back has been sore before at my old job but it healed and I never had surgery yet, thank God.

If I get a lower back belt will it help prevent an injury? I read an article that if you've never had surgery it could possibly weaken the back muscles.

OBVIOUSLY if I do get the belt that does not mean I should heavy boxes the wrong way. I'm still going to lift the correct way by bending my knees, back straight, avoid all pressure in your back. etc.
I have one...I only wear it occasionally when my back is bothering me. It's no daily alternative to stretching and proper lifting methods.

jaker

trolling
I always found it weird that we really don't use them and some companies make you use them

But I heard those places are not doing that anymore

oldngray

nowhere special
Some companies provide their employees with back braces. UPS doesn't but you can buy your own and wear it if you want. It gets uncomfortable wearing them all day and they don't help enough to be worth the hassle for most people.

smapple

The way I understand it back supports are okay for temporary use but prolonged use is a big no-no because while it does help support your back they also effectively apply pressure to the lower back muscles so there's less blood flow and basically you're back gets weaker and weaker.

You've Got Mail

I have spondylolisthesis from a bad self-caused car accident when I was 17, which is a "condition in which a bone (vertebra) in the spine slips out of the proper position onto the bone below it."

All the lifting and hopping in/out of the seat doesn't help, and all day my back hurts like hell, but luckily I haven't slipped a bone bad enough to have to stop working. If that day comes, I'll know this job isn't right for me. $18.75/hr is worth more to me than my back, since no matter what job I do, unless it's an office gig (which I'd rather die than have one of those) will be hell on my back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are only supposed to tighten the back belt when you are getting ready to lift a heavy object so having it tightened throughout your shift may actually hurt more than help and, yes, they do tend to weaken your back muscles.

Save your money and follow the methods you outlined above.

The way I understand it back supports are okay for temporary use but prolonged use is a big no-no because while it does help support your back they also effectively apply pressure to the lower back muscles so there's less blood flow and basically you're back gets weaker and weaker.

llamainmypocket

Deadlifts are all you need to prevent injury. A nice short 20 minute workout once per week. Deadlifts, barbell reverse grip rows, machine rows. Sensible weight, 1 minute breaks between sets, about 80-120 total reps total that are broken up into sets of 8-12. Don't kill yourself like you would on chest and arms.

Lifting correctly in the gym will train you to lift correctly at work by employing the correct muscles for a lift, fully develope the supporting muscles to prevent tearing, and increase bone density. That's my strategy for lasting 25 years.

llamainmypocket

But hey, braces are good for one thing. If you have a muscle that is permanently sore then using a brace for a whole week can give you the break necessary to allow the muscle to heal and therefore become stronger.

llamainmypocket

Also, keep in mind that almost everyone that proclaims that they dead lift proudly has suffered injury from them. It's not necesary to deadlift 400lbs+ to prevent an injury from a box that weighs up to 150lbs. I'd wager that weight would be around 150lbs.