Thinking about possibly attempting to make the switch to UPS

ManInBrown

Hi. As you can see from my username I am a fed up Express courier. I was wondering if you can give me some insight on working at UPS. I am a little over a 10 year FT swing driver at express. I know for the most part what the job entails at UPS. My question is. I am in my mid to late 30s. I do not want to go the seasonal route in an attempt to get a driver job as the few UPS drivers I have spoken to on the road while working have told me the chances are slim to none to catch on permanent. Also I cant be without benefits for years so I was thinking of going the loader route and biding my time till my name comes up. My question is am I too old to start as a loader at my age and then best case scenario early 40s when I get in the package car? I'm in great shape so the physical aspect is not going to be a problem. But realistically I would want to put in 25. Am I just too late? In my building we have drivers in there early 60s. As many of you know or may not know the job at Express has become a road to nowhere and it's time to get out. Also another question I have is when I do a job search at Upsjobs.com and search for package car driver positions it lists about 60 different locations and almost all specifically state seasonal. But a couple don't say seasonal. The 3 or 4 that dont say seasonal are in some not so desirable locations. Was wondering if any of you had insight on if that might be a mistake and they should say seasonal or are they possibly hiring off the street in those not so desirable locations? One is in the desert of Nevada and another one in North Dakota. Any insight anyone here could give me with those two questions I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Random_Facts

hey, welcome to the brown cafe first off. Secondly you can become a UPS driver right away it depends on luck and right timing but it can be done. Some people on here will disagree with what I'm saying. The driver I load for has 27 years on him, never worked as a part timer and was hired off the street. (granted that was years ago). But it still happens to this day. Most people on the other hand who are drivers and didn't work part time, started out as seasonal. If they really like you, and you're doing a great job then generally you stay on board. (unless it's feeders you really want, then that's another story..)

Now if you join UPS as a part timer, and load trucks, for a few years. (again it depends on each building). Like in my hub for example, you can become a full time driver in about 5 years. But in other hubs people say 10 plus years. It depends on seniority and how many people are before you wanting it. Remember some people will have more than you, but want to go into management instead of driving. So that helps your odds as well.

Last but not least, as long as you're in good health and can lift boxes, your age shouldn't be a factor. I know a guy who just turned 60 and he's been a part timer for almost 15 years. Anyway, I hope you get in, if that's your true dream. don't let anyone tell you it's not possible, because it clearly is. Have a great day!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Today the chances of being hired as a full time permanent driver is next to none. You are correct about being a seasonal casual off the street. There is virtually no chance of going permanent there either. Almost all drivers hired now have been part time employees for years. I just made perm full time driver a few months ago after putting in over 3 years of working inside nights part time and that is unusual nowadays. Other guys in my driver class had been waiting 8 to 9 years. Good luck with whatever you decide to pursue.

kingOFchester

If you are trying to get into a building that is only hiring seasonal, then you are pretty much out of luck.

Now, I have heard there are places where they will hire off the street. Perhaps that is what you are seeing, or they just posted the job without being clear it was seasonal.. If you are willing to relocate, I would fill out application and see how it goes.

QKRSTKR

We had a FedEx ground employee get hired as a full time driver. Not seasonal at all. So it does happen. This wasn't too long ago. I would just go apply. In our hub it takes a while thru the part time ranks, but also the experience isn't there. A lot of this next generation can't drive a stick, or know what a stick shift is. You may be surprised. Go apply. You have experience, which is very valuable.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
And that lack of stick driving is why our fleet is slowly going automatic.
{ along with the lack of trained mechanics } & { it's just cheaper in the long run }

ManInBrown

Thank you to the posters that took the time to try to help me. I definitely want to go package car driver. No management or feeders. I applied last year at my local building to be a seasonal. The HR employee who interviewed me basically told me it was not a good idea to leave Express for a seasonal job at UPS. She also explained that the chances were slim to none to stay on permanent. Even with all the experience and route knowledge I have. She said it does happen but its very rare. Im not looking to cheat anyone. I know you have to put in the time on the inside which is fine to me. No problem doing that. Was just more looking for insight on if posters thought it was too late to do that. Obviously I wish I did this 5 years ago but Express wasnt the dead end job it is now back then. Like I said no issue putting in the time on the inside but obviously if those couple places I mentioned were hiring off the street I would probably not have an issue relocating. My app is on file at UPSJOBS.com and I put in for the 4 or 5 positions that dont say seasonal and they all come up with no interview times are available at the moment. If I dont hear anything from that I will go back to my local building and apply for the loader position when it becomes available. Again thank you to the people who took the time to answer my question.

J

jibbs

Thank you to the posters that took the time to try to help me. I definitely want to go package car driver. No management or feeders. I applied last year at my local building to be a seasonal. The HR employee who interviewed me basically told me it was not a good idea to leave Express for a seasonal job at UPS. She also explained that the chances were slim to none to stay on permanent. Even with all the experience and route knowledge I have. She said it does happen but its very rare. Im not looking to cheat anyone. I know you have to put in the time on the inside which is fine to me. No problem doing that. Was just more looking for insight on if posters thought it was too late to do that. Obviously I wish I did this 5 years ago but Express wasnt the dead end job it is now back then. Like I said no issue putting in the time on the inside but obviously if those couple places I mentioned were hiring off the street I would probably not have an issue relocating. My app is on file at UPSJOBS.com and I put in for the 4 or 5 positions that dont say seasonal and they all come up with no interview times are available at the moment. If I dont hear anything from that I will go back to my local building and apply for the loader position when it becomes available. Again thank you to the people who took the time to answer my question.

If you find an opening for FT permanent, apply and get it, don't think you're cheating anybody out of a job. That listing wouldn't have been posted if there were PTers looking to go FT or if they've already promoted several people from within the building(s) in question. I always flake on the exact ratio but I think it's 6 inside promotions for every 1 new hire. The jackpot for you in this situation would be you becoming the one person they hire off-the-street and it would be cheating yourself not to try and land it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Good luck if you decide to make the switch.

I liked the title.. Thinking about possibly attempting to make the switch. ;) Jump right in, water's warm!

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Another option if you think you can hack it is to apply for one of those undesirable locations...suffer for a year and then put yourself on the transfer list. Actually Portland, Or is really low on the seniority list right now and the place is beautiful. I miss it actually...but there's lots of 10 hour days there and some people can't handle that. Being you're a FredEx you're probably use to the abuse. Good luck!

ManInBrown

If you find an opening for FT permanent, apply and get it, don't think you're cheating anybody out of a job. That listing wouldn't have been posted if there were PTers looking to go FT or if they've already promoted several people from within the building(s) in question. I always flake on the exact ratio but I think it's 6 inside promotions for every 1 new hire. The jackpot for you in this situation would be you becoming the one person they hire off-the-street and it would be cheating yourself not to try and land it.

Yes I just meant I know that people put in a long time on the inside of the building waiting there turn to get the opportunity to drive. I know my experience working at FedEx helps me a little but I dont want to come off as just thinking I can walk in off the street because of my experience and land a job. I know it doesnt work that way. But I definitely wouldnt be against it if it was available in a not so desirable location. LOL. My personal situation pretty much would allow me to pick up and go anywhere to land a permanent position. Obviously I wouldnt pick up and go anywhere for something seasonal or a loader position. I would just stay where I am and do that. That is what is confusing with the listings. Like I said in a previous post a few of the driver listings dont say seasonal. But they also all say no interviews available at this time. With my FredEx airline discount I would happily fly to any of the locations to interview if there were times available.

Another question I have if some of you can help me out is lets say those locations that dont say seasonal dont work out. And I have to stick where I am and try to get my foot in the door. I dont really want to say what state I am in but I am in the northeast in a heavily populated expensive state to live in. What would be my best route in your guys/gals opinion to eventually get a permanent package car driver position. Seasonal and hope they like me and eventually call me back and offer me a job. Or the loader position.

Not tooting my own horn here at all so please dont take this the wrong way. Been doing this for 10 years. The station I would work at would basically cover the same areas I have been working the last 10 years as a swing so I basically know every route. I'm a very good, hard worker. I know its a different animal at UPS. I am well aware of that. I would have to imagine mgmt at UPS would be very happy with the way I handle the job barring any catastrophic event (running someone over while working) if I was to go the seasonal rt. Even if at the end of the season they told me they had nothing. I could handle being out of work a 1 year if need be. If they were happy with me what would be the chances they would find something for me eventually. Thats my dilemma choosing seasonal or loader.

Let me just also say in the interview I had last time to give you an idea of the station I would be working at. the HR person told me they have a lot of older drivers but she said they just arent leaving. With the whole market crashing she said a lot took a beating in there 401Ks and they want to build them back up which makes sense. But there are from her words a "lot of older drivers." Because from the interview I had last time. In the orientation part where the HR employee was talking to all of us as a group she said you have to decide one or the other. You can be a seasonal for 2 seasons or you can be a loader but you have to choose first. I know its because of the union that you can only work 2 seasons which makes total sense. Otherwise they would just bring seasonals back every year and never hire anyone new or promote within the ranks. Lets say I do a really great job as a seasonal which I have no doubt I will (again not tooting my own horn so please dont take it that way) what would you guys/gals recommend? Seasonal and hope for the best or loader route? Thanks again for all of your input.

Also if the chances of there being a strike are high I obviously want to wait till that is over probably. But hopefully a two tier wage system is not implemented because that would basically cancel out one of the big reasons I want to make the switch. Its not all about the money but I am good at what I do and would like to be compensated fairly which no longer exists at FredEx.

Sorry for the long post but I know this is the place where I am going to get some good advice and I need your guys/gals help here.

ManInBrown

Also if any of you work in a location where the wait time isnt that long from the inside please let me know if you can. I know Portland Oregon was mentioned. Any other areas? I will keep my eyes open for loader positions in those areas.

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Nothing was deleted, you may have hit the wrong button to reply. This has happened to me before, I think its the "Quick Reply" button on the top left or something like that. There is a way to pull back up the post, sorry that I can't remember how.

I have heard the the Bakken Oil Boom has produced lots of jobs with good pay, maybe that is the North Dakota job that you saw listed. I was listening to a radio show recently where a local man moved there and started a entry level construction job and was making $100K, he also said that the fast food joints and Walmart were starting people out at $17 an hour. If you are used to the weather, this may be an option for you.

Last edited:

DorkHead

Another option if you think you can hack it is to apply for one of those undesirable locations...suffer for a year and then put yourself on the transfer list. Actually Portland, Or is really low on the seniority list right now and the place is beautiful. I miss it actually...but there's lots of 10 hour days there and some people can't handle that. Being you're a FredEx you're probably use to the abuse. Good luck!

What transfer list????

barnyard

KTM rider
It used to be that there were plenty of off the street hires at the centers in the Bakken oil shale region. Not sure if that is still the case, but there is one way to find out. Apply.

DS

Fenderbender
Probably not an option for you,but in Canada,Edmonton and Calgary need full time off the street drivers.
We make around $27 an hr at top rate right now.

ManInBrown

It used to be that there were plenty of off the street hires at the centers in the Bakken oil shale region. Not sure if that is still the case, but there is one way to find out. Apply.

Just applied online for a location in Williston ND. Luckily my personal situation allows me to just pick up and go wherever I have to. I literally will go anywhere I have to, to land a gig. I dont care if its ND. Is the pay the same across the country? Top pay 3 years after seniority for drivers. 32 and hour or whatever you guys are up to now? Would my seniority start right away if I was hired off the street in one of these undesirable locations?

As far as the possible pending strike is concerned. Would I be better off waiting to see what happens with that first before I quit where I am and take the leap. I have never been in a union before. If I was lucky enough to land one of these gigs in the next few months and was hired, I would assume I start paying dues immediately and am union right away? if there is a strike do I have a target on my back since I am new with the company and will that possibly jeopardize my job. Also I have heard of the possible two tier wage progression system. I obviously would want to get my foot in the door before that cut off date. I'm not going to say the money is the entire reason for looking to make the switch. But its a big part. I want to be paid fairly for a hard days work. And that doesnt exist anymore at FredEx.

I Started FT of the street. It can be done it's a lot easier if the bldg. has a lot of routes in it and a lot of guys are retiring. If you don't mind leaving FedEx when ever then I would go causal first around aprail or may-ish and if they say come back next year you have one more shot. In my local if you work two peaks as a causal and if you don't get hired then you can't come back. So keep that in mind. Causal quick and high risk or Pt to Ft long but safe. Also if you get in a accident when taking the Pt to Ft road they will kick you back and you have to stay Pt for a year. Do the same thing as a causal by by.