Thinking about quitting.

rhino02

I got a job at UPS and have been there three weeks. I am not going to lie so far I absolutely hate it. I am a college student and don't plan on staying with the company. I was just looking for a decent part time job but the pay and the work sucks. After gas I bring home $70 a week because of the drive. I used to lift weights alot it's a huge passion of mine and I can't do that anymore because if I do before I go to work I am too tired to be fast enough for the shift. All this bull**** about UPS getting you in shape is just that. Bull****. I guess if you look like a twinkie before you start it's true. I am completely capable of doing the work but there is no incentive, the tuition program is a way to trap students it's pretty damn obvious. Where I am at it takes 14-15 years to become a driver. The last company I worked for I was with 5 years and I really hate to quit after being at UPS such a short time I feel bad about it I am not a quitter but it's just not worth it. Not sure what I should do at this point.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Seems like you have made up your mind already.
Do what's best for you.
If you are really going to college and determined to get a degree, don't let UPS get in the way.
Only you know what your real goals are.

ymelord

Money sucks, work sucks, the harassment suck, now you know why it is important to stay in school, wished I would have.

rhino02

Well most of the guys I work with are pretty cool most of them seem to like me alot and I talk to them all the time, that's the only good part about the job. My supervisors are alright yeah they can be a little annoying but not too bad. It's the job itself that sucks if I was getting paid more for the work I wouldn't complain but I am making roughly 14 dollars a day after gas at the moment. My point is it's very low pay for hard work. My friend helped me get hired and I really hate to quit because the people I work with have been pretty nice to me and I don't want to make him look bad. For me to quit a job is a big decision.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i walked out in my 3rd week
i harassed the **** out of my management, on a daily basis, for 2 years
if you'd asked me if i planned to stay with the company or become a supervisor in those first two years, i would have laughed in your face, and did many times

just stick with it, it gets a lot better

29 years to go; i just hope i dodge the layoffs lol

Bad Gas!

Find a job where you can study at work and then you can workout afterwards..All you need through college is throwaway jobs...Go wait tables at night.You can get busy and make fast jack at your age..

I got a job at UPS and have been there three weeks. I am not going to lie so far I absolutely hate it. I am a college student and don't plan on staying with the company. I was just looking for a decent part time job but the pay and the work sucks. After gas I bring home $70 a week because of the drive. I used to lift weights alot it's a huge passion of mine and I can't do that anymore because if I do before I go to work I am too tired to be fast enough for the shift. All this bull**** about UPS getting you in shape is just that. Bull****. I guess if you look like a twinkie before you start it's true. I am completely capable of doing the work but there is no incentive, the tuition program is a way to trap students it's pretty damn obvious. Where I am at it takes 14-15 years to become a driver. The last company I worked for I was with 5 years and I really hate to quit after being at UPS such a short time I feel bad about it I am not a quitter but it's just not worth it. Not sure what I should do at this point.
Quit

CharleyHustle

I really wouldn't worry about disappointing anyone. The people here know this job isn't for everyone. Just be nice about it, don't burn any bridges, give two weeks notice and go.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a nice chat with a co-worker the other day. He is a single Dad who has primary custody of their child. He is on intermittent FMLA for a family member with health issues and has been hassled over his "last minute" phone calls to the center. He has 14 years in but needs to work another 21 to get his full pension. The demands of the job and the responsibilities of being a single Dad are becoming more than he can handle and he is looking for employment elsewhere. He is a good worker and it is a shame but this is what the company has become.

I also think about quitting everyday but worry that the place may fall apart without me.

Indecisi0n

If its not for you then just move on. At least you tried. If you force yourself to stay here you will become a bitter man filled with regret like upstate.

I had a nice chat with a co-worker the other day. He is a single Dad who has primary custody of their child. He is on intermittent FMLA for a family member with health issues and has been hassled over his "last minute" phone calls to the center. He has 14 years in but needs to work another 21 to get his full pension. The demands of the job and the responsibilities of being a single Dad are becoming more than he can handle and he is looking for employment elsewhere. He is a good worker and it is a shame but this is what the company has become.

I also think about quitting everyday but worry that the place may fall apart without me.

Advise him to file a complaint with the DOL over the FMLA issue. Harassment is a defined violation of the law.

moreluck

golden ticket member
........"I also think about quitting everyday but worry that the place may fall apart without me. .............." (upstate)

Big mistake! (and I speak from our experience).
After a week of you gone, they'd say, "Dave who?"