Thinking about quitting

FedGT

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about looking for work elsewhere. Going on 6 years with the company, almost 4 full time. Enjoy the job but don't want to work OT until I retire and my life has passed me by. I'm a single guy about 30, live below my means. Not sure what I want to do yet but if I quit want to do it right and save some money first as I'll hit top rate soon. Looking into working for the city or maybe DNR? Enjoy being outdoors and staying active, I'll pass on the OT though. Any suggestions? When am I vested in the pension? Have about 60k in the 401k. Roll it over? Or what? Looking for suggestions or advice in doing this the right way. I could stick it out for 10, 15, or 20 years but not sure it would make me happy. It seems this place gets worse almost daily. Does anyone see it differently? Thank you in advance.
I put in 6 years or so in FedEx Ground as a contractor and as a driver after selling my routes. Put in about 4 months at UPS right when the first COVID pandemic hit. The guy I replaced on the training route ran 90 stops a day because he ran a huge canyon along with city route. Within a week they had me at 140+ Stops 3 weeks got to 215 stops and then they were forcing me to take other work, and calling for me to work every Monday. Quickly found out there was no way I was going to have the family life I wanted with UPS. The money was great, benefits and pension too, but those things aren’t all that matter to a lot of people.
I was fortunate to bank a good chunk with selling my routes and got into something I have always wanted in becoming a firefighter. I love my job, love going to work everyday. I have good pension, I have good benefits, my pay does suck but there is a chance I may get into Vegas or Arizona down the road and get that decent pay raise.
My recommendation is to do it smart but do something that makes you happy. It is worth more than extra money as long as you are keeping your head above water.

moldsporh

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about looking for work elsewhere. Going on 6 years with the company, almost 4 full time. Enjoy the job but don't want to work OT until I retire and my life has passed me by. I'm a single guy about 30, live below my means. Not sure what I want to do yet but if I quit want to do it right and save some money first as I'll hit top rate soon. Looking into working for the city or maybe DNR? Enjoy being outdoors and staying active, I'll pass on the OT though. Any suggestions? When am I vested in the pension? Have about 60k in the 401k. Roll it over? Or what? Looking for suggestions or advice in doing this the right way. I could stick it out for 10, 15, or 20 years but not sure it would make me happy. It seems this place gets worse almost daily. Does anyone see it differently? Thank you in advance.
You want advice?

Go see a financial advisor, don't quit until you do.

Once your advisor takes your pay scale, your current money saved, your 401K percentage, it will paint a picture on your future. Anyone who hasn't done this is crazy, unless they are very financially savvy.

There are better jobs than UPS, but you have a good paying job in a very wacky world. Keep in mind how long it takes to get to top pay, and what you could be banking.

If you only have 60K invested and little in savings (guessing) I feel it would be a very poor choice to leave unless you have something SOLID already lined up.

Zowert

As long as you find a job with decent benefits, more power to you. It’s not the six figure income I’m after here it’s the pension and health insurance. I’d be happy making $60k a year in a low stress job if I had the same benefits UPS offers. Working for the city, county or state is your best bet. Good luck to you.

Brown Wing

Sandbagger
As long as you find a job with decent benefits, more power to you. It’s not the six figure income I’m after here it’s the pension and health insurance. I’d be happy making $60k a year in a low stress job if I had the same benefits UPS offers. Working for the city, county or state is your best bet. Good luck to you.
This is what air driving allows me to do. Can't put a price on feeling good. Don't have kids and you don't need $90k plus.

Get a PT Car Washer job at UPS.