Thinking about retirement, then this happens

quad decade guy

So, wife and I actually talked about could I retire/quit. I am a 40 year full time employee currently as a Feeder driver(that I hate)(because I hate working nights)(that will never change)(I'm only 20th in seniority)(out of 150)(there are only about 3 day jobs)(that aren't CPU)(I'm 58 btw). Ok. Literally about a week after this conversation, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. We are just now starting that journey with at least surgery in her future. My first thought is/was there goes retirement because we'll need the best insurance we can get and ours is free now. Ok. Does any one know if the insurance we can BUY is guaranteed? Such as with pre-existing conditions and all that? Or is the price the same for all retirees? It's interesting, I've never even considered insurance as we've always been blessed with UPS insurance. Thoughts? Thanks.

oldngray

nowhere special
No guarantees for insurance. Promises made when you retire mean little for the future. One would think retirees would be grandfathered in to the plan promises when they retire but that ain't so. Retirees have already been screwed on insurance in the past so don't be surprised if it happens again.

quad decade guy

No guarantees for insurance. Promises made when you retire mean little for the future. One would think retirees would be grandfathered in to the plan promises when they retire but that ain't so. Retirees have already been screwed on insurance in the past so don't be surprised if it happens again.
Ok.

I guess my question is: Do they HAVE to sell it to us? Not be denied? Thanks.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So, wife and I actually talked about could I retire/quit. I am a 40 year full time employee currently as a Feeder driver(that I hate)(because I hate working nights)(that will never change)(I'm only 20th in seniority)(out of 150)(there are only about 3 day jobs)(that aren't CPU)(I'm 58 btw). Ok. Literally about a week after this conversation, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. We are just now starting that journey with at least surgery in her future. My first thought is/was there goes retirement because we'll need the best insurance we can get and ours is free now. Ok. Does any one know if the insurance we can BUY is guaranteed? Such as with pre-existing conditions and all that? Or is the price the same for all retirees? It's interesting, I've never even considered insurance as we've always been blessed with UPS insurance. Thoughts? Thanks.

every supplement is different talk to somebody at your local

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm guessing it won't have any effect on your retiree health insurance, I'm not in teamcare but if faced with the same situation I would still have gotten the same retiree health insurance for the same rate. Assuming the same holds true for you you might actually be better off retiring because you will be able to devote more of your time and energy to taking care of your wife. I lost my father to pancreatic cancer a few years ago and my mom is a two-time breast cancer survivor so I can tell you from first-hand experience that just being able to be there for them without the pressure of having to go to work is invaluable. If you decide to keep working do like Gumby said and get on intermittent FMLA right away. Wishing all the best for you and your wife.

Shiftless

Thankfully this is 2020 and breast cancer survivor rate is so much better! Stay positive and focused on your wife!

Retirement? I too was a feeder driver and know the thought of working days was never going to happen in my area
and swing and nights were my destiny.

Retirement as "a choice" versus "having to retire" is best case scenario for sure!

Make the choice that your heart tells you! Obviously finances and health care will be a major player in your decision.

The remaining time you have with Family is not guaranteed! Remember as it stands now you are working for X amount, yet your eligible to retire and collect X amount. When you do the math, does it make sense?

oldngray

nowhere special
Thankfully this is 2020 and breast cancer survivor rate is so much better! Stay positive and focused on your wife!

Retirement? I too was a feeder driver and know the thought of working days was never going to happen in my area
and swing and nights were my destiny.

Retirement as "a choice" versus "having to retire" is best case scenario for sure!

Make the choice that your heart tells you! Obviously finances and health care will be a major player in your decision.

The remaining time you have with Family is not guaranteed! Remember as it stands now you are working for X amount, yet your eligible to retire and collect X amount. When you do the math, does it make sense?

No point in chasing every dollar if you don't have time to enjoy enjoy yourself after you retire. Once you have enough to pay your bills you have a lot less incentive to keep working for money you may never spend.

Treegrower

Are you Central States? I could be wrong but I believe that Central States has a yearly cap of 250k on their retiree health care benefit. Call Central States and ask. It’s important to get all the info you can. You don’t get a “ do over “ on your retirement. Maybe Big Union Guy can shed some light on the subject?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Man, best of luck. That sucks. Hopefully they got it early. I lmow more that a few survivors.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
No point in chasing every dollar if you don't have time to enjoy enjoy yourself after you retire. Once you have enough to pay your bills you have a lot less incentive to keep working for money you may never spend.

you realize this is the guy who was buying corvettes and going on fancy vacations instead of saving for retirement

Not to be cruel but he’s made his bed

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

I am in Team care in the Central..sorry about what your wife is going through.

If you retire you can continue with team care under their retirement health and welfare plan ... You just have to pay 400 a month for you and your spouse. I do not know if the benefits are the same as being active.

Your wife might qualify for Medicare because of her Illness or qualify for social security disability, I would check into that. You can sign up for Medicare without losing her current team care coverage even if you retire till age 65.

They will not deny her health coverage if you decide to retire. It was mentioned above that team care’s retiree benefits are maxed out at 250,000 annually..that could proof a problem if your medical bills exceed that limit.

My wife is currently having medical problems also and I might have to continue to work just to make sure we are not slammed financially. Once you retire you will at the mercy of your health provider so if they start to lose money your rates might skyrocket or lose them all together. Right now team care is solid and should be considering the amount of money being contributed.

You know that once you and your wife turns 65 you are automatically kicked off team care coverage.