Thinking of leaving for school, question about tuition assistance

HawaiianSoup

I'm a PT sup and I'm thinking of leaving UPS to focus on school. I already applied for tuition assistance, however, and I did the voucher where the company pays up front before the semester starts. Does anybody know if I have to pay that money back before I am allowed to quit? The work schedule I have really gets in the way of school so I'm thinking of leaving.

T

Turdferguson

No they can't force you to work for them, but I am pretty sure they will come after that money they gave you one way or another

HawaiianSoup

Alright I was expecting to have to pay it back anyways but I just can't take it working this much anymore. I was told 27.5 hours a week but they have us at 40 and above because of late planes so I can't do it with school starting next week. Thanks for the answer :)

By The Book

Alright I was expecting to have to pay it back anyways but I just can't take it working this much anymore. I was told 27.5 hours a week but they have us at 40 and above because of late planes so I can't do it with school starting next week. Thanks for the answer :)
If you like working here, maybe have a talk with your boss and see if you can come to some sort of arrangement.

HawaiianSoup

If you like working here, maybe have a talk with your boss and see if you can come to some sort of arrangement.
I did talk with him and they moved me to the hub sort which starts at 9PM instead of the preload which starts at 4AM. I just don't see any potential for growth at the hub and don't want to get stuck there with no opportunities. I can pay for school without the company's tuition assistance so I figured I should just focus on getting my degree. Not like I'll never get a job as good as this again... I hope... Haha

HawaiianSoup

I did talk with him and they moved me to the hub sort which starts at 9PM instead of the preload which starts at 4AM. I just don't see any potential for growth at the hub and don't want to get stuck there with no opportunities. I can pay for school without the company's tuition assistance so I figured I should just focus on getting my degree. Not like I'll never get a job as good as this again... I hope... Haha
Let me rephrase that. I'm just scared to quit because I'm only 19 and I don't want to throw away a career by leaving to focus on school and then have no job after I get my degree. Such is life nowadays though :glare:

clean hairy

Just so you are majoring in something useful.
Too many folks will get a degree in underwater basket weaving.
Then they find out that degree does not have much value.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let me rephrase that. I'm just scared to quit because I'm only 19 and I don't want to throw away a career by leaving to focus on school and then have no job after I get my degree. Such is life nowadays though :glare:

You are doing the right thing by focusing on your degree. Yes, you will have to repay for this semester.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Just so you are majoring in something useful.
Too many folks will get a degree in underwater basket weaving.
Then they find out that degree does not have much value.
Don't knock it my friend! Lots of hot chicks in that class!

th

P

pickup

If your new schedules syncs with your school schedule then keep the job, it may be dead end as you say or may not be but it is less dead end than not having a job at all.

When you graduate , other opportunities at UPS may open to you because of your longevity and degree. If you chose to leave UPS upon graduation then having UPS manager on your resume can help you get a job.

Just my two cents but think about it.

budlight

hey friend* face
It was a joke braddah. Lighten up.

Some things in life you go to school for and better yourself. Some things in life you go with the flow and see where life takes you. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. The only one here who can tell you what to do is yourself. Stay and struggle through school and work, get a good item to add to your resume and move on. Quit and finish school and forget this chapter in your life ever existed. You're only 19, plenty of time to make decisions, whether bad or good, that will ultimately make you happy with the life you lived.

Did I help now pickup?