Thinking of Leaving UPS - Does anyone know the cost of Cobra?

Mac9227

I'm thinking of changing jobs, but I need to keep the health insurance because of medications. I was thinking of paying for COBRA coverage until my new medical insurance takes affect. Anyone know how much the Aetna PPO coverage costs? When does the medical coverage end? I'm a Supervisor so I'm not union.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I just retired in Feb 2013.
COBRA has to offered by law, so these are the costs I was provided.
Monthly costs
Medical - You only - $453 You & Spouse = $951
Dental - $42 and $89
Vision (Exam only) - $3 and $6

Mac9227

Thanks for the info. I was looking to keep the medical just for me. Do you know when the medical coverage ends? Does it end the day i stop working at UPS or is it through the end of the month?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Thanks for the info. I was looking to keep the medical just for me. Do you know when the medical coverage ends? Does it end the day i stop working at UPS or is it through the end of the month?
UPS coverage ends the end of the month after month in which you terminate employment.
​Quit June 1 or June 30, your coverage ends July 31st.

Make sure you talk to UPS HR once you turn in your notice to make sure.

Note: What I have quoted is for when you retire but it is my understanding it applies to any termination of employment scenario.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am hourly and my son, who just turned 26, will no longer be covered by my insurance as of 6/1. He received a letter from the union offering him Cobra----the monthly premiums were $1,140.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I am hourly and my son, who just turned 26, will no longer be covered by my insurance as of 6/1. He received a letter from the union offering him Cobra----the monthly premiums were $1,140.

From what you have described, your insurance may be that much better than UPS Management insurance.
My out-of-pocket runs from $6000 -$11,000 in any given year.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

From what you have described, your insurance may be that much better than UPS Management insurance.
My out-of-pocket runs from $6000 -$11,000 in any given year.

He is going to forego the insurance and play the "I hope I don't get hurt or sick" game until either his current employer decides to retain him after his probationary period and offer him benefits or until he starts grad school in September and gets benefits through the school.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
He is going to forego the insurance and play the "I hope I don't get hurt or sick" game until either his current employer decides to retain him after his probationary period and offer him benefits or until he starts grad school in September and gets benefits through the school.

I founds basic insurance online for my daughter for I think it was less then 100 a month. At least a catastrophe would be covered.

Mac9227

UPS coverage ends the end of the month after month in which you terminate employment.
​Quit June 1 or June 30, your coverage ends July 31st.

Make sure you talk to UPS HR once you turn in your notice to make sure.

Note: What I have quoted is for when you retire but it is my understanding it applies to any termination of employment scenario.
This is great info! The job I am hopefully gonna get has benefits that kick in the month after I start. So I might not need COBRA if the timing is right.