Thirty Percent Dividend Hike

bacha29

As an testament to their appreciation for the efforts of contractors who are out there today trying to scrape up enough money to pay for additional trucks and manpower in an effort to prepare for a potential UPS/IBT slug fest , FDX today announced a 30 % increase in it's quarterly dividend.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
As an testament to their appreciation for the efforts of contractors who are out there today trying to scrape up enough money to pay for additional trucks and manpower in an effort to prepare for a potential UPS/IBT slug fest , FDX today announced a 30 % increase in it's quarterly dividend.
Because stockholders (read Board of Directors) are more important.

bbsam

Staff member
I don’t know why you think ISP’s are trying to staff for this. We have a daily stop threshold. There is no schedule K money being given out to ramp up. If the company takes on more than they can handle, it’s completely on them.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I don’t know why you think ISP’s are trying to staff for this. We have a daily stop threshold. There is no schedule K money being given out to ramp up. If the company takes on more than they can handle, it’s completely on them.

He has quite the flair for the dramatic.

bacha29

You're the one who called the contract " a piece of fiction". You've been around long enough to know that all it takes in another " oh by the way here's your new addendum". Even by it's own admission they consider no part of that contract binding and if any new conditions arise that they have no solution for what was once their problem becomes your problem.
At my station there is a TM who strictly adhere's to his budget and no matter what the contractor's stop threshold says he still has to produce whatever is needed to service the entire area.

bbsam

Staff member
You're the one who called the contract " a piece of fiction". You've been around long enough to know that all it takes in another " oh by the way here's your new addendum". Even by it's own admission they consider no part of that contract binding and if any new conditions arise that they have no solution for what was once their problem becomes your problem.
At my station there is a TM who strictly adhere's to his budget and no matter what the contractor's stop threshold says he still has to produce whatever is needed to service the entire area.
That’s the strange thing. Every year they bring out the schedule K. Why not just write it into the contract?

I never sign it and am more than happy to let them deal with whatever happens. It’s never affected whether I get a contract or not.

bacha29

Well he did have a TM say such and such to all the day one contractors 30 years ago so there’s that.
What they said didn't matter. Their actions always spoke louder than their words. No disrespect but you place far greater trust in the belief that they will live by the terms of a contract that they alone wrote and implemented especially if what might happen at the end of next month presents them with the opportunity they've spent the last 21 years waiting for.

It will be fine

What they said didn't matter. Their actions always spoke louder than their words. No disrespect but you place far greater trust in the belief that they will live by the terms of a contract that they alone wrote and implemented especially if what might happen at the end of next month presents them with the opportunity they've spent the last 21 years waiting for.
I don’t think anyone thinks a strike is actually going to happen. If Fedex did they’d be prepping for it. They’d be dropping cash for us to staff up. They aren’t even talking about it.

bacha29

I don’t think anyone thinks a strike is actually going to happen. If Fedex did they’d be prepping for it. They’d be dropping cash for us to staff up. They aren’t even talking about it.
Yes, the odds clearly favor a settlement on time but if it isn't reached until near the end of the current contract then the question is what will X do to prepare for what could be a huge volume shift in July? You know Fat Freddy and Trump are good buddies. Fat Freddy supported Trump's campaign and was under consideration for Transportation or Labor secretary.
Remember the old saying, politics makes strange bedfellows and you never can tell what Trump might ask Fat Freddy to do to keep the economy running if there is a UPS/IBT showdown. I can't wait to see what happen because this is going to be fun to watch.

oldrps

Ground will probably do what they did in 1997 as RPS. No new accounts created a month before the UPS contract expires and limit existing pickup customers to current level of packages plus 50%. If you ship 100 packages a day, they will limit them to 150 packages. ISP's will have to instruct their drivers not to exceed the number of pickup packages. It will be like Christmas peak in July except no snow or ice.

Oldfart

Ground will probably do what they did in 1997 as RPS. No new accounts created a month before the UPS contract expires and limit existing pickup customers to current level of packages plus 50%. If you ship 100 packages a day, they will limit them to 150 packages. ISP's will have to instruct their drivers not to exceed the number of pickup packages. It will be like Christmas peak in July except no snow or ice.
Yep. Express did something very similar. Unless the shipper signed a long term agreement, volume was based on an average and then some. Shippers could not double and triple outbound.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
This provides the perfect opportunity to do what a former coworker did during the last strike. She would take as much extra freight as she could load in exchange for gift cards. Made out like a bandit.

bacha29

Once again bacha is spewing gibberish.
Gibberish huh? You think so? This morning I received a call from my US Congressman requesting a private one on one meeting with me in July. Just him and I in the room ,,,,, and he's a Republican and I'm a Democrat.

bbsam

Staff member
Gibberish huh? You think so? This morning I received a call from my US Congressman requesting a private one on one meeting with me in July. Just him and I in the room ,,,,, and he's a Republican and I'm a Democrat.
Really bacha? Do you really think Congress would do anything? Maybe he has a “wide stance”.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Pendulum just swung from incredulous, to incredible.
Might seriously have to rename you Bacha-BS.

Last edited:

bacha29

Pendulum just swung from incredulous, to incredible.
Might seriously have to rename you Bacha-BS.
Being called a BS er, I don't mind that but being called a liar something else. While the Congressman and I belong to different parties we live in a rural district that continues to be drained of resources in all forms with nothing being put back.