This can't be happening!!! UPS DRIVER CAUGHT NEW VIDEO AFTER FEDEX AFTERMATH

C

chuchu

around here they are paid 10.50,,, but I see your point.... doesnt matter anyway. At our center we were told if we wanted a knowlegable helper we would have to train them. Thats when I told them I didnt want one,,, was forced to anyway. I was hired to deliver and pickup.... not to be a babysitter
Tourists24, I understand your point. No one wants to train a helper. I don't and never will. But I don't run the company and we have to work as directed to the best of our ability.

Maybe you don't feel responsible for a helper that has no clue. I do. That's why I am a steward, because I care what happens to the people I work with, including underpaid helpers that really need the job and will do anything...even unsafely to make themselves look good to the company in hopes of long term employment.

I had a helper one day this peak that didn't even own a coat because their family was going thru tough times and I have dealt with this untrained helper issue every year too. It sucks.

But, as UPS drivers I feel we are better than what we saw on that video no matter how old the thing is. We know most of our customers (if you are a bid driver that has kept the same rt for awhile) and that makes this whole deal very personal. Have a good Christmas.

S

splozi

I suppose you wouldn't feel responsible if your helper walked in front of the truck to make a delivery across the street

I still don't understand this. Let's say you walk behind the truck - you still need to stop and look the other direction. What different does it make which end you walk by?

Indecisi0n

I still don't understand this. Let's say you walk behind the truck - you still need to stop and look the other direction. What different does it make which end you walk by?

Because the cross traffic when walking behind the truck is in the next lane as oppose to crossing in the front of the truck where traffic is the same lane you are attempting to clear.

S

splozi

Because the cross traffic when walking behind the truck is in the next lane as oppose to crossing in the front of the truck where traffic is the same lane you are attempting to clear.

I'm sorry, maybe it was the 73-hour workweek, but I can't seem to wrap my head around that.

Here's a diagram: http://i40.tinypic.com/zjwl88.png

A northbound truck parked on a street full of houses with red roofs. No matter which end you cross by, you will be crossing a "lane" with potential traffic in it, meaning you will have to stop and look if you want to be safe.

tourists24

Ariticle 6 Section 5 states basically that a teamster is allowed to train another worker on a voluntary basis. That drivers who train helpers are done with specific conditions. Drivers can be selected by seniority and have to be qualified and skilled for the job.

All of this is done on a "voluntary" basis only. Nowhere does it state, nor in my supplement at least, that its the driver's responsibility. Sec 5 number 13 also says that trainers will not be held liable for auto accidents incurred by the trainee.

tourists24

Article 6, Section 5, Paragraphs 1 and 3.

Yes,,,, and paragraph one also says "on a voluntary basis". Paragraph 3 is under very specific training conditions and done by training committee members. I for one never volunteered for any committee and even told them I didnt want a helper this Christmas season

Borderline 9.5

We had an accident in our district last week, Two cars slammed in the rear of a parked package car. Luckily the driver was in the car sorting and not making a delivery per the "new methods" From the pictures they showed, it would have been a pretty sight if they had been crossing the street from the rear.

tourists24

Train them or not, you are indeed responsible for their actions while they are on the car.
Oh really? Ive never heard of any discipline sticking because a helper was hurt or injured for their own actions. I am not responsible for that. They are. It is UPS's job to train them correctly. I will not carry that burden.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Oh really? Ive never heard of any discipline sticking because a helper was hurt or injured for their own actions. I am not responsible for that. They are. It is UPS's job to train them correctly. I will not carry that burden.

I disagree. The first thing I do when the helper gets on the car is go over my expectations and those of the company. The helper works under my direction and I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I knew that my helper was injured due to something that I could have prevented.

Off to see Mission Impossible.

Dave.

tourists24

I disagree. The first thing I do when the helper gets on the car is go over my expectations and those of the company. The helper works under my direction and I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I knew that my helper was injured due to something that I could have prevented.

Off to see Mission Impossible.

Dave.
Well that makes it your opinion, not contractual fact. Its the exact reason I ask not to have a helper. I am not going to be responsible for that. Have a nice movie trip....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The point is: if you know and do nothing about it you are liable. I am a steward that stands up for the employees I work with....your judgement means nothing to me. I have never seen anyone win a case for irresponsibility and no one asked you to "hold someone's hand". Yes, it's "not your truck". Evade the point. Claim ignorance.

If you don't feel responsible for someone who is "green" to the safety pitfalls of our job and you couldn't care less how the customers packages are handled I guess I'm glad I'm not your steward because I would rather devote more energy to employees who value quality and appreciate a $31 per hr job who honestly just make a mistake and need representation.

I'm not a troll but I'm glad I'm not one of your customers either.

Our responsibility as drivers is to remind the helper of the safe work and proper driver release methods that the company has already taught them. We arent babysitters, and we arent management people.

We are not responsible for their actions when they are out of our sight. We are not respnsible for any misdeliveries that they make, and we are not responsible for any DR claims that might result from the methods that they follow while we are sorting in the back of the car.

In order to successfully charge the driver with the loss or damage of a Driver Release package, the company must demonstrate that the driver...without justification or mitigation....violated pertinent established rules or policies that would have prevented the package from being lost or stolen had they been followed. (Art 10 National Master).

To the best of my knowledge the company has never been able to meet this burden of proof when the package in question was delivered during peak season while working with a helper.

And as far as safety is concerned, the topic of whether it is safer to cross in front of the pkg car vs behind it has already been beaten to death before. In some situations, it is safer to cross in front because the pkg car acts as a shield. Regardless of whether the helper crosses in front or behind, the #1 rule to remember is to look both ways and clear the road before crossing. And the driver cannot be held responsible if the helper fails to do this.