This can't be happening!!! UPS DRIVER CAUGHT NEW VIDEO AFTER FEDEX AFTERMATH

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sober, I respectfully disagree with you. We are responsible for our helpers from the moment they step on to the car until we drop them off. This responsibility includes their safety and the integrity of their deliveries. In essence we are babysitters.

Over, you would have enjoyed the movie--I thought it was the best yet. I said "yet" because the ending certainly suggested another movie in the future.

Manual, you are a 20 something year old who could barely keep up with his driver. Now that Peak is over you can go back to your Mom's basement and your X-box.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober, I respectfully disagree with you. We are responsible for our helpers from the moment they step on to the car until we drop them off. This responsibility includes their safety and the integrity of their deliveries. In essence we are babysitters.

We are only responsible for that which we have control over.

I have no control over the actions of a fellow employee who is out of my sight. I have no control over the level of training that employee has received, or whether he/she chooses to follow that training.

I will chew my helpers ass if I see him/her doing anything unsafe or improper, but I cant see much when I am sorting in the back of a blown out package car.

This entire discussion boils down to defining the relationship between the driver and helper. I view that relationship as being a fellow employee whose safety I am only responsible for while I am operating the vehicle. I am not a management person. I will not take personal responsibility for the actions of a fellow employee who violates the instructions given to him by our employer.

S

splozi

There's this big house I delivered to almost every day that had a camera right next to the door.

I was tempted to throw packages right at the camera.

I wanna be on YouTube!

C

chuchu

We had an accident in our district last week, Two cars slammed in the rear of a parked package car. Luckily the driver was in the car sorting and not making a delivery per the "new methods" From the pictures they showed, it would have been a pretty sight if they had been crossing the street from the rear.
That accident frequency is FAR less than the ratio of possible injuries from cars flying past you when you are peeking around the front of the truck to cross the street...especially at dusk when some drivers haven't turned their lights on, etc.

ANYTHING can happen out there, OK. But my ONLY issue is personally taking responsibility for the unsafe or unethical work of my helper THAT I DO SEE....NOT what I don't and/or can't see. No one can argue that point.

I actually cross the street in front of my truck AT A GREAT ANGLE many times during my day and half of my route is on one-way streets. I am not a rookie, but my helpers are and ignorance can kill you so I make sure I explain to them what their habits will be and I make sure they do it. For their sake.

No, it isn't in my job description to "babysit" a helper but I do care about this person's safety and I also care about how the public perceives the company I work for. I guess, for me, that is the bottom line.

We can argue this issue until next peak or until we retire, but frankly I'm really tired of hearing the snide comments about us UPS drivers already and it's only been two days. That's all I have to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

chuchu

There's this big house I delivered to almost every day that had a camera right next to the door.

I was tempted to throw packages right at the camera.

I wanna be on YouTube!
And at a State Panel hearing too? LOL

S

splozi

Ok, I posted a response regarding crossing behind or in front of a package car on page 5 (post #46). It had to be reviewed by a mod and now it's buried back there where no one will see it. I made an illustration, and I'm still wondering why it matters.

UPSGUY72

Ok, I posted a response regarding crossing behind or in front of a package car on page 5 (post #46). It had to be reviewed by a mod and now it's buried back there where no one will see it. I made an illustration, and I'm still wondering why it matters.

It matters to the people that give the order that we follow in order to have a job. That all you really need to know.

However, the reasoning is that you can see the traffic in the first lane you cross easier from the back of the car. If you walk in front of the car you are not going to be able to see what is coming toward you in the first lane you cross untill your already in the the line of fire. From the back if parked half in the travel lane you can clearly see the full travel lane of traffic in the right traffic lane and can look around the car to see the traffic in the other without being in the line of fire.

When I cross I always wait on the grass at the back right side of the car where I can clearly see both directions of traffic then cross when it's clear.

S

splozi

However, the reasoning is that you can see the traffic in the first lane you cross easier from the back of the car. If you walk in front of the car you are not going to be able to see what is coming toward you in the first lane you cross untill your already in the the line of fire. From the back if parked half in the travel lane you can clearly see the full travel lane of traffic in the right traffic lane and can look around the car to see the traffic in the other without being in the line of fire.

Maybe I'm just incapable of understanding it. I've crossed both ways and both ways seem identical to me. I need to stop and look either way I decide to go. While crossing in front, I stop, I look, I've let cars pass. Just as safe as doing it from behind (giggity). Oh well, helper season is over anyway.

AssistantSanta

How not to do it:
Packages in cab, check.
Run, check.
Walk in the yard, check.
Move the truck before fully buckled, check.
Don't use the handrail, check.

Clearly, its a helper. The driver cannot be held responsible for anything.
Seasonal helper here who survived the whole peak. Got a good work out and was a lot of fun.

Flipping off the camera is probably helper's own doing for which he should get on no rehire list.

Driver should be on the hook for using helpers to do things he wouldn't do do himself. They shouldn't be allowed to blame the helper for instructing them to do things he wouldn't do himself to dodge accountability. For example, telling him to release a colorful box of computer equipment to front door and say "the helper did it while I was doing something else" when in actuality he told the helper to do it.

We were trained to not DR computers and such and to check ID on adult sig stuff unless we're certain the consignee is over 21.

I only left computers and such at the door exactly as directed and only if sheeted on the DRIVER'S DIAD.

Indecisi0n

Over, you would have enjoyed the movie--I thought it was the best yet. I said "yet" because the ending certainly suggested another movie in the future.

Manual, you are a 20 something year old who could barely keep up with his driver. Now that Peak is over you can go back to your Mom's basement and your X-box.

How can i be responsible for my helper when i am not even with my helper for hours at a time? If you are working as instructed then you are dropping your helper off with his DIAD and a handcart filled with packages in a separate area while you deliver somewhere else. This is what the bosses ask for and thats what i give them.

S

splozi

How can i be responsible for my helper when i am not even with my helper for hours at a time? If you are working as instructed then you are dropping your helper off with his DIAD and a handcart filled with packages in a separate area while you deliver somewhere else. This is what the bosses ask for and thats what i give them.

Where exactly were you dropping off this helper... in a residential area? Is he delivering to businesses in a shopping area? How can you even fill a cart with enough stuff to last him for "hours at a time"?

C

chuchu

The truck creates a large blind spot that is directly adjacent to the next step you or your inexperienced helper will take to cross the street. If you cross at a great angle instead of directly in front of the truck it is alot easier to see (get the big picture) but ALOT OF HELPERS scurry off to the other side of the street in front of the bumper and by the time you see on-coming traffic from the rear it is often too late! Especially if you are parked on a small right curve in the road.

I suppose that is one of the reasons they get to wear the stylish puke green vests for visibility since they (predominently) are "green" to the job also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indecisi0n

Where exactly were you dropping off this helper... in a residential area? Is he delivering to businesses in a shopping area? How can you even fill a cart with enough stuff to last him for "hours at a time"?

Res. I drop him off where he can walk off 15-20 stops.