This DIAD message......

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I also remember no jump seats in package cars. If you had a safety ride, one of you was standing up on the passenger side holding on to the rail. Used to find a find a 5 gallon pail or a solid box to sit on when delivering out of a P200 or P300. Those were the days. No bulkhead door to deal with on those babies!

Johney

So I guess a lot of drivers were lucky enough to have helpers good enough to sort a load so I stand corrected, I on the other hand in 25 years I drove a package car NEVER had someone who had any idea what to do in the back of a package car.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I also remember no jump seats in package cars. If you had a safety ride, one of you was standing up on the passenger side holding on to the rail. Used to find a find a 5 gallon pail or a solid box to sit on when delivering out of a P200 or P300. Those were the days. No bulkhead door to deal with on those babies!

I thought I was old....

:biggrin:

They used to have those "removable" jump seats.

Knew you were getting a ride that day.

rod

Retired 22 years
They instructed us to mailbox all long driveways to avoid customer interaction.
Are you talking about putting package into mailboxes? I'm sure the Post Office would have something to say about that. Technically not legal. Sometime a friendly carrier will let you get away with it but most won't.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Are you talking about putting package into mailboxes? I'm sure the Post Office would have something to say about that. Technically not legal. Sometime a friendly carrier will let you get away with it but most won't.
Get there after they do and you're good.
And if its surepost theyll never know the difference unless theyve learned to read pal labels.

rod

Retired 22 years
Get there after they do and you're good.
And if its surepost theyll never know the difference unless theyve learned to read pal labels.
And the people aren't home and the package is still there the next day? We had one Post Master who had ALL UPS packages left in mail boxes brought to him. He would then call UPS and insist that the Center Manager pick them up personally-he wouldn't release them to a driver. After the center manager had to go to the post Office a couple times he let everyone know NO more mail box deliveries. On the other side of the coin I had one Post Master in a small town who would give me directions to anyone I didn't know. One of his rural carriers would even drop off a small package for me if it would fit in the mailbox and I was looking to get of early. The FedEx guy and I would take chasers off each other on occasion too. If you wanted off early you learned the last thing to do was ask for it--(they would load you down every time). It was nice to have other options.

Rack em

Made the Podium
And the people aren't home and the package is still there the next day? We had one Post Master who had ALL UPS packages left in mail boxes brought to him. He would then call UPS and insist that the Center Manager pick them up personally-he wouldn't release them to a driver. After the center manager had to go to the post Office a couple times he let everyone know NO more mail box deliveries. On the other side of the coin I had one Post Master in a small town who would give me directions to anyone I didn't know. One of his rural carriers would even drop off a small package for me if it would fit in the mailbox and I was looking to get of early. The FedEx guy and I would take chasers off each other on occasion too. If you wanted off early you learned the last thing to do was ask for it--(they would load you down every time). It was nice to have other options.
I have covered a few routes where a Fedex driver will come up to me and ask what stops I have. It's common for drivers in my center to swap stops with Fedex drivers on rural routes.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have covered a few routes where a Fedex driver will come up to me and ask what stops I have. It's common for drivers in my center to swap stops with Fedex drivers on rural routes.
Two FedEx drivers even came to my retirement party. I got a nice FedEx tee-shirt from them :-)