This is actually a more serious issue than most think

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We have a lot of these little mom and pop clothing stores that are opening up lately around here. Nine times out of 10 the COD's are all Certified Check or Money Order Only.

What I have been (and a few other drivers in my center) doing lately is only accepting money orders from them, whether the package is money order/bank check or just a regular COD, just to kind of cover our own asses and try our best to prevent this from happening. I'm not saying it's okay, but there are a few of these places that have already tried to get one over on us on more than one occasion. Basically I walk into the store with a infonotice that has the shipper and amount writtien on it, ask them if they have it, and if not tell them they need a money order filled out tomorrow. That's it.

Actually we have one store in our center that threatened a drivers life because he wouldnt leave the package without the check and come back later.

An interesting twist to your story:
I also have small clothing stores on my route. They are all owned by foreigners. All of their packages are COD cashiers check or money order only. Most if not all of their products are illegal knockoffs. They all come out of New York City the capitol of knockoffs.
Here's the twist, mostly of the company names to which the money orders are made out are initials.
Some examples being:
CAS
AS
ASH
CA
SH
See were this is going?
All can easily be made into the word CASH.
I've even seen one made out to MR.
It's my contention that these shippers get the money orders back from UPS and then add the omitted letters making the it read CASH and then either themselves or Joe The Crackhead cash it eliminating any significant paper trail.
I have made my center team as well as LP aware of my theory and yet they do nothing.
Put aside the legalities, what about my safety?
How is this any different than carrying around cash money?
What's to stop these criminals from taking delivery and then turning around and robbing me or having me robbed.
Safety first?
Only if it doesn't cost the company a few packages.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
some1else, may I suggest PayPal? I am an ocassional E-bayer and have a PayPal account and it is so convenient.

Paypal is for reputable people much the same as "terms" are for most businesses. It also inplies that you have credit or at least a bank account. These COD customers that this tread addresses for the most part don't fit these parameters.

bluehdmc

Usually when I sell something online I specify cash, paypal,or US postal money orders. There are also fraudulent money orders around. I bank with a credit union, they just make a phone call to ensure a postal money order is good, a money order from 7-11 can take 2 weeks to clear.

M

Mike23

If all it says is 'COD' on it and gives a price then any form of payment is cool.

If it says 'Bank order, certified check' or whatever else you can ONLY accept those.

I think that's how it works?

The really dumb thing is, I don't do a lot of money orders or certified checks. If it has 'certified check' written in crayon I assume it's real because I've rarely seen one. UPS didn't train me on counterfeit bank orders and such so as far as I know, with at least those, I can't be held liable?

In this instance, it sounds like he wasn't supposed to take the personnel check and it likely said, 'Certified check' or something.

old levi's

blank space
Since we are discussing CODs, why isn't the dollar amount coded into the label. Just one more chance for the company to hang the driver if he misreads or miskeys the amount.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
or even better. That a COD has its own twin digit code, which then prompts the driver to scan a second barcode that has the COD amount, type of payment accepted etc. That way, if the driver does screw up, the company can point to the fact that the diad prompted him to gather that additional information and that the diad alerted him to only take certified funds. And make the driver hit enter as a response to that information.

I do find it interesting that we are too stupid to know how to efficiently deliver our routes, so they tell us turn by turn how to make the deliveries, but on COD's, the barn door is wide open.

Why?

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

d, CODs do have their own service code (72) but I do like your idea of scanning another barcode which has all of the COD information which would pop up on a separate screen. One of the more common errors seems to be reversing the digits. For example, the COD on the pkg says $121.00 and you enter $112.00 and then simply press check without verifying the check amount. Now you will end up having to go back to the consignee for another check for the $9 difference. The DIAD will do the math for you if you have multiple CODs from the same shipper and will allow you to accept more than one check for a single COD. However, the DIAD will not look over your shoulder to make sure you enter the right amount or accept the proper form of payment.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Had a COD a while back. The shipper put about a 2 inch green sticker on the package that read "this package is a COD". You guessed it, put the sticker right over the COD amount under the barcode. Just like when the preload slaps a PAL label over it. Just one more thing justifying weekend libations.

NHDRVR

Sorry if I have the facts wrong here but I assume he accepted a personal check instead of a certified.

If this is the case...

The driver screwed up

BUT

to stick the guy with that kind of bill is absurd. I hope something else can be done to resolve this.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
to stick the guy with that kind of bill is absurd. I hope something else can be done to resolve this.
Nope, UPS now has the blessings of the union and the legal system to withhold a certain amount out of each paycheck. And not a thing the driver can do about it, except quit. And then UPS could actually go after him where ever he works and get his wages garnished.

The bottom line is not to get your but caught in this situation.

d

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Next contract let's ban COD's. Why should an overworked driver be someones bill collector? Buy it with a credit card like 99% of us do.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I agree, at that rate, its a money maker. But look to see us be able to take credit cards shortly. Its just a matter of time.

d

some1else

Banned
// Nope, UPS now has the blessings of the union and the legal system to withhold a certain amount out of each paycheck. And not a thing the driver can do about it, except quit. And then UPS could actually go after him where ever he works and get his wages garnished.//

is this true? i was under the assumption that these "repayment" deals where just that deals.

if i quit; im no longer covered by the contract or the deal. then ups has to take me to small claims (or civil for large amounts) to try to recover the money which i didnt steal by their own admission.

if this ever happens to me i will simply calculate the garnishment out of my hourly wage; then decide if its worthwhile to continue.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
if i quit; im no longer covered by the contract or the deal. then ups has to take me to small claims (or civil for large amounts) to try to recover the money which i didnt steal by their own admission.

if this ever happens to me i will simply calculate the garnishment out of my hourly wage; then decide if its worthwhile to continue.

Yes and no. You will no longer be covered under the contract, but you will still owe UPS the money. IT will depend on how hard it would be to collect that money should you quit.

As far as garnishment, dont take that too lightly, many places wont hire you if you have one, and at UPS, the second one can get you fired.

Before making a rash decision on your own if you get caught in something like this, I would consider spending the money to see a lawyer for advice. It would be the best $50-100 you could spend.

d