This is how peak started!

iowa boy

Was asked the Friday before I went on vaca if I wanted to work on my week off by one of our on-cars...told him no. He asked if I would come in and work the next Friday, I said no. I was then told I was not a team player, to that I responded by asking him if he had come in on any of his vacations, he told me no. So then I asked him "Would you come in on your vacation if I asked you to", and of course he said no. So I gave him that dumb-founded lost dog look and said "Then why are you asking me?"

Funny, he didn't have a response and I walked away...

That happened here all summer
I grieved that two or three summers ago. Problem solved. You aren't allowed to work your week after you picked it. The only way to work it is taking a payout in January and the weeks not being picked so others can pick said weeks. There is nothing I despise more than a guy picking prime summer weeks and then working said weeks because they need the money and some lower seniority member can't be off with his family.

AKCoverMan

That is not allowed in our local. Any idiot that comes into work is an idiot.
Just another thing that is different from place to place. Here the language clearly allows FT with three or more weeks of vacation to work one of the weeks and get paid for hours worked plus 45 straight.

I've only done it once, working 4 out of 5 days once on a week I had bid off for an event that was no longer happening. Due to a couple of FMLAs, a funeral leave, guys from package covering feeder vaca, plus loaning out a driver to an extended center we were suddenly under water so I made some extra cash. Paid a good part of a semester of sons college with that week plus saved the money I was going to spend on the trip.

But that was an exeception, I totally want my time off. "All work and no play" and all that.

AKCoverMan

I would not come in and work vaca if some junior driver was getting sent home. It was me or a Supe taking a route out. Actually a couple of days it was both.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I grieved that two or three summers ago. Problem solved. You aren't allowed to work your week after you picked it. The only way to work it is taking a payout in January and the weeks not being picked so others can pick said weeks. There is nothing I despise more than a guy picking prime summer weeks and then working said weeks because they need the money and some lower seniority member can't be off with his family.

FT Drivers working their vacation also allows the company to keep staffing minimal (ie. not open up for FT driving jobs for bid to PT'ers).

AKCoverMan

FT Drivers working their vacation also allows the company to keep staffing minimal (ie. not open up for FT driving jobs for bid to PT'ers).
We have been putting people on packet pretty regularly since spring 2014. There was a period a few years back that we were always short staffed but they wouldn't hire.

Currently outside of peak we almost always have at least one or two on the bench. But this particular week was a perfect storm of unplanned absences both in our center and some extended operations that have to borrow from us in a pinch. As fate would have it I was just going to be sitting home, so I chose to work four days.