This one's a classic

ih8tbrn

Banned
Last night as we were parking, one of the PC's wouldn't start so the guy goes to tell the mechanic. Mechanic's answer = So what? What do you want me to do about it? It's hilarious, because this guy is so useless you have to laugh at him. He comes in and literally stands and stares at us for about 3 hours every night until we leave. Unfortunately, his boss works 2 hours away so this guy basically isn't accountable to anybody. If his job would ever opens up, I for one would jump at that one. I'm not sure what mechanics make, but if all you have to do is stand around and smoke cigarettes for 8 hours a night, it looks like a pretty good gig.

LOL @ so what?
Poor mechanic probably stressed out, is he the only mechanic there? his boss works 2 hours away?
If the box is brown, and has a label on it and has to be delivered before sunrise.. you dont just pick a guy in brown and tell him to delivery it. you will get a so what from him too.. lol
Same with a brown package car with tires on each axle end and ask him to fix it...
There are procedures.. best is to go to his boss, his boss should really be there in the office.. and there should be other mechanics there.. (just my two sense)
But if his boss is not there, and there is only one mechanic.. then there is something off the equation..
If the mechanic is a lazy son of a gun, then he knows he is made there and he can take advantage of the circumstance.. he will probably never quit. :peaceful:

ih8tbrn

Banned
If the mechanic is a lazy son of a gun, then he knows he is made there and he can take advantage of the circumstance.. he will probably never quit. :peaceful:

You hit the nail on the head.:wink2: And, we're a very small center so he is the only one there.

Last edited:

Work right slow and safe

thats how my center works too we have 5 of them that do nothing at all if you wright 3 or more things wrong with your truck no matter what they are you truck gets red taged for as long as they can hold it just so people will not wright anything up unless it is a must

dragracer66

thats how my center works too we have 5 of them that do nothing at all if you wright 3 or more things wrong with your truck no matter what they are you truck gets red taged for as long as they can hold it just so people will not wright anything up unless it is a must
Well if you are WRITING things up like you did on this thread I can see why nothing gets done!!!!!

Last night as we were parking, one of the PC's wouldn't start so the guy goes to tell the mechanic. Mechanic's answer = So what? What do you want me to do about it?.

what i like to know is why when i walk around the hub, i see package cars with flashers on, headlights on, domelights on, and are parked where they are not suppose to be..? then the guy goes in to move the car.. oops ohhh gosh the battery is dead..
Oh.. it would be a miracle if the key was in the ignition.. thats another story.
Hub is a bee hive of activity.. the funny thing is when drivers run to the shop to get things done right away.. all at once.. LOL.
Its 10 to B4U Go... have you done your pretrip :wink2:

over9five

Staff member
Wow! That's poor.

We have great mechanics at Chema. I've worked with all of them, tractor, trailer, pc, and they're all professional.

jw55wags

Maybe at x-mas time you should leave a little something under the tree for the mechanic at your center. I do and I have very little trouble getting my car worked on. Just a little way of saying thanks. Sometimes there job sucks too.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I guess we are lucky here, the mechanics in our building are first-rate. The only time they have problems is when Corporate gets cheap and wont keep spare parts in stock.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
When I was a package car driver, I used to tip my mechanic $40.00 every Christmas. Needless to say, I never had a problem getting my truck worked on :happy2:.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
When I was a package car driver, I used to tip my mechanic $40.00 every Christmas. Needless to say, I never had a problem getting my truck worked on :happy2:.

Did your mechanic tip you $40 for delivering his Christmas gift? I am all for generously tipping waiters and food service people, but the mechanics at UPS are paid as much or more than the drivers are and I dont see any reason to tip them for doing the job they are paid to do.

Bryishre

ktm atv racer
Yeah, Just like when the customers give you tips and gifts during christmas time. He makes sure your pkg car is in compliance and road worthy. Not his Fault as he did not leave the lights on to drain the batteries. also i dont know about your center but at ours the mech's dont get overtime and when you got over 60 some pkg cars per mech its like peak all the time for them. Cut them some slack.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Did your mechanic tip you $40 for delivering his Christmas gift? I am all for generously tipping waiters and food service people, but the mechanics at UPS are paid as much or more than the drivers are and I dont see any reason to tip them for doing the job they are paid to do.

I believe in taking care of those who take care of you. I used to tip my pre-loader at Christmas too. Sometimes, if I had an especially good loader, I would throw them some lunch money every now and again during the year also.

I am not saying I am right, I am just saying what worked for me. Reward those who work hard for you and they will reward you back. Hopefully.

TGD

I need more carbon paper
We had a mechanic that we started calling Willy..... All he ever wrote in the book was "Will Schedule". One driver that that was his name.

dragracer66

Thats a pretty crappy reason Sober... Most of the time I agree with what you write but this time your hitting to close to home. When your delivering and your customers want to give you a christmas tip tell them the same thing you wrote on here I bet you don't and I can also see why your mechanic probaably doesn't go above and beyond to take care of you I know I sure as hell wouldn't. I'm not saying you have to give them money but if your truck is well taken care of its nice to get a case of beer or wine just to say thanks for taking care of me this year!!! Heck I don't even have a fleet and I have drivers feeder and package that will give me a case or a $20 gift card to somewhere, I don't look for or expect it but it is nice to get some appreciation once in a while thats all......:peaceful:

rod

Retired 22 years
Thats a pretty crappy reason Sober... When your delivering and your customers want to give you a christmas tip tell them the same thing you wrote on here I bet you don't and I can also see why your mechanic probaably doesn't go above and beyond to take care of you I know I sure as hell wouldn't. I'm not saying you have to give them money but if your truck is well taken care of its nice to get a case of beer or wine just to say thanks for taking care of me this year!!! Heck I don't even have a fleet and I have drivers feeder and package that will give me a case or a $20 gift card to somewhere, I don't look for or expect it but it is nice to get some appreciation once in a while thats all......:peaceful:

So do you tip your delivery driver when he delivers a package to you?:peaceful:

dragracer66

So do you tip your delivery driver when he delivers a package to you?:peaceful:
If I owned a business and had the relationship you guys have with customers absolutely. You never took a christmas tip ROD? Your full of it if you say no. I give my mailman a $50 gift card every year...

rod

Retired 22 years
If I owned a business and had the relationship you guys have with customers absolutely. You never took a christmas tip ROD? Your full of it if you say no. I give my mailman a $50 gift card every year...

Of course I took tips- A person would be foolish if they turned them down. All I asked was if you tipped delivery drivers like you said they tipped you.:peaceful:

Okay, drivers go out on the road with their road worthy package cars and meet and greed all kinds of adventures.. and they do get tips and some deals on merchandise..
And during the cheerful christmas week, they do get all kinds of gifts..
Some mechanics do work very hard and they go off there way to make sure the drivers compliant about little heat in cab or their worn seat be fixed even when no parts are availabe.. so they be in a warm PC , sitting on a comfy seat admiring the freebie they got.
Mechanics work very hard in the shop where their bosses gives them more work and more work from other "incidences". They dont make as much as a driver, even though they make more hourly because their overtime is watched very carefully. And they work over night, HOW MANY OF YOU WILL WORK NIGHTS? ;)
Give them alot of slack (like the other gent said)
You dont have to give them any hard CASH, or gifts, just a thank you after they met what ever you asked on the dvir.