This seriously baffles me

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
I currently work part time at a local amazon sort center and they have recently announced a new "critical role" that employees can sign up for. Its called a "yard dog". This position is the person who switches out the trailers outside the building for loading and unloading.

Now I'm under the impression that a ups employee who does this job works in the "feeder" department making damn good money...

... And amazon is allowing literally anybody to sign up for it and do the job for a whopping $12.50 an hour. Seriously how greedy is that Jeff bezos piece of :censored2: going to get????

I can't wait to quit this :censored2:ing place.

El Correcto

god is dead
Not sure who they answer to but any part timer can sign up for a shifter position, it doesn't require a cdl.

Also, if they sign up for a shifter position at ups during their first year and some how got it, they'd only be making 11.50 an hour.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
Well in fairness ups only pays their preloaders 11 an hour

Right. A preloader.

I always viewed a feeder driver as a professional that has done their time and earned their pay grade.

Now when I'm at amazon unloading a trailer I always have this feeling that its going to get smashed in from the side by a :censored2:wad making 12.50

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
And as a preloaded myself, I make 12. But I also account for the health insurance that I get and don't pay a dime for.

I also have the opportunity to make up 100 grand a year with no college education if I'm willing to put in the time.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I currently work part time at a local amazon sort center and they have recently announced a new "critical role" that employees can sign up for. Its called a "yard dog". This position is the person who switches out the trailers outside the building for loading and unloading.

Now I'm under the impression that a ups employee who does this job works in the "feeder" department making damn good money...

... And amazon is allowing literally anybody to sign up for it and do the job for a whopping $12.50 an hour. Seriously how greedy is that Jeff bezos piece of :censored2: going to get????

For $12.50 a hour, I would play demolition derby out in the yard!

PT Car Washer

You don't need to be in feeders to shift trailers. You just have to be on property feeder certified
At the building I work in you have to be feeder qualified to be a yard shifter. Never know when you may have to pull a load somewhere. That and Feeder drivers would not hear of a PTer making $12.50/hr doing any of their work.

LeaveIt2Griever

FileFileFile
The guys who shift trailers during the sort in my building make feeder rate. The package car shifters get paid peanuts just like everyone else.

I'd be PO'd if they offered me $12.50 as a yard shifter

PT Car Washer

The guys who shift trailers during the sort in my building make feeder rate. The package car shifters get paid peanuts just like everyone else.

I'd be PO'd if they offered me $12.50 as a yard shifter
I move package cars around the yard during the twilight sort and am paid the same as the FT car washers. Only one who makes less is the one Art 22.3 employee.

Johney

Our shifters are certified every year by one of our feeder managers, but aren't road certified just on property. One is a 22.3 job that does air later the other drives later if he's needed and wants extra cash.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
At the building I work in you have to be feeder qualified to be a yard shifter. Never know when you may have to pull a load somewhere. That and Feeder drivers would not hear of a PTer making $12.50/hr doing any of their work.
When I was preload sup we couldn't get anybody to bid on the shifter spot, so for the first two trailers I was the one who did it. Then a feeder driver would come in and do the rest.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Right. A preloader.

I always viewed a feeder driver as a professional that has done their time and earned their pay grade.

Now when I'm at amazon unloading a trailer I always have this feeling that its going to get smashed in from the side by a :censored2:wad making 12.50
Ups has lots of these positions at large centers. They are not feeders and don't require a CDL.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

It depends on the location.
In Georgia, most of the shifters are P/T and cannot go on the road and don't have a CDL.
The reason they report to Feeder is that Feeder has the responsibility for trailers on and off the yard (in Georgia).
I see no reason that some large Hubs could have the shifters reporting to Hub Simulation. Regardless, Hub and Feeder work very closely (sometimes in the same room) on where the trailers go.
Feeder is responsible for getting the right trailer on the right door so the equipment is right for the destination.
Ask someone from 43rd St about getting a load in in the wrong equipment (53 footer).

The silver lining is, that if you want to be an Over The Road (OTR) tractor-trailer driver, knowing how to spot a trailer is a huge selling point. A lot of OTR drivers are abysmal spotters.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When I was preload sup we couldn't get anybody to bid on the shifter spot, so for the first two trailers I was the one who did it. Then a feeder driver would come in and do the rest.
I was a preload sup as well and I spotted trailers all the time on a large hub yard.
I learned to spot trailers when I was in the Carwash.