This Year the PURPLE PROMISE DID NOT HAPPEN

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Replaced with the green of greed by corporate executives and Wall Street tycoons.

Fred & Friends made promises to their Wall Street buddies that they weren't able to keep. Too bad the employees and customers have to suffer because our leaders have their heads firmly up their asses and don't have a clue about delivering the "Purple Promise". All they can do is talk about it.

Sweeping declarations of massive changes, with no viable plan to implement them, and a complete misunderstanding of the way Express really works out in the field. This disaster of a peak proves a couple of things. One, our upper management SUCKS. Two, that engineers and software programs aren't the "answer". Three, that you cannot pluck someone off the street and make them a competent employee with a couple weeks of training. There's no substitute for experienced couriers...period.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Hey Fred, here's the beginning of falling flat on your ass in 2013. You've screwed your customers royally and employees too. Maybe one or more the consumer protection agencies should investigate your "questionable" business practices. Love to see you on the hotseat.

bbsam

Staff member
Oh look! Another post by cactus predicting the downfall of X! You and MFE are heading up a team of "0 for's".

Goldilocks

Thank you BB, because isn't that what life is really about. Not statues, not money, not education, but about being kind to our fellow human race. The riches man dies the same way the very poor man dies. It was just tragic for those of us that have been with Federal Express for many years to see it hit rock bottom like it did this peak....I dont think you really could understand, and that ok, its just that those of us who have worked for FS for 20 plus, this kicked peak kicked our butts and was very disorganized.

bbsam

Staff member
Your welcome Goldi.

I'm sorry you guys were disorganized, but much of it seems self-imposed. Times have changed. I do understand where you are coming from, do you understand where I am coming from? I have 10 driver who see your situation and would absolutely jump at your starting pay and benefits and have a great attitude about any increased pressures put on them. Fred knows this. Express is being "reset" to take advantage of a cheap labor market and by many economist's estimates he has a good 5 to 8 years to do it.

MAKAVELI

Your welcome Goldi.

I'm sorry you guys were disorganized, but much of it seems self-imposed. Times have changed. I do understand where you are coming from, do you understand where I am coming from? I have 10 driver who see your starting pay and would absolutely jump at your starting pay and benefits and have a great attitude about any increased pressures put on them. Fred knows this. Express is being "reset" to take advantage of a cheap labor market and by many economist's estimates he has a good 5 to 8 years to do it.

They may see our starting pay but have no idea what comes with it. The two opco are totally different and the pressure is much greater on the Express side. We earn every penny and more. Most of us start with that " great attitude", but it is quickly beaten out of you. If they think our starting pay is great what would they think of UPS starting pay and quick top out?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They may see our starting pay but have no idea what comes with it. The two opco are totally different and the pressure is much greater on the Express side. We earn every penny and more. Most of us start with that " great attitude", but it is quickly beaten out of you. If they think our starting pay is great what would they think of UPS starting pay and quick top out?

Express and Ground really are like apples and oranges. Yeah, they're both fruit, but very different. The pressure is enormous at Express, and equivalent to that of UPS IMO. Yes, they (UPS) deliver more packages, but their pickup structure is different and the routes are much more compact in most cases.

Express is very underpaid relative to UPS, and the topout game Fred plays makes the disparity even worse. Upper management is going to discover the hard way that talented and competent employees simply won't do this kind of work for what Fedex is willing to pay. They'll go elsewhere, where there isn't as much stress or BS.

Express used to be like working for Apple or Google...it was a highly desirable job at an excellent company. That equation has totally changed, and the new Express employee will be working here as a last resort, not as a choice they really wanted.

That doesn't make for an efficient or effective organization. You truly get what you pay for. UPS is like a Lexus, and Express is like the Chinese knockoff that cannot even get imported into the US because it is unsafe and of inferior quality. Think Chinese Yugo.

bbsam

Staff member
They would take it. If they hated it, they could always come back to me.

mitchel

nice post goldi. i only have 17 years, but yeah this peak kicked our ass. but at least at my station managers were doing the bulk delvs part timers were working as much as allowed...and of course the bitter friend'n couriers did their i need to drop this zone etc thing. but for the most part we got everything out, some of us worked today to do it..but it got out. I may be one of the last ones..but i still like my job, just not all the bs and changes. hell, i wear shorts and deliver a package

Goldilocks

nice post goldi. i only have 17 years, but yeah this peak kicked our ass. but at least at my station managers were doing the bulk delvs part timers were working as much as allowed...and of course the bitter friend'n couriers did their i need to drop this zone etc thing. but for the most part we got everything out, some of us worked today to do it..but it got out. I may be one of the last ones..but i still like my job, just not all the bs and changes. hell, i wear shorts and deliver a package

Thats great that your station got everything delivered. Our station probably still has on deck over 1000 christmas packages. Hope it gets delivered today....

MaineGroundDriver

Thats great that your station got everything delivered. Our station probably still has on deck over 1000 christmas packages. Hope it gets delivered today....

Meanwhile, on the Ground side, extra drivers on board and everything (at least at our terminal) was delivered to all residential addresses by Christmas Eve ..

STFXG

Everything purged and everyone home early on Monday. We delivered the promise. Too bad the customer doesn't know better... We all looked bad.