This year's raises

whatwhat

Anyone hear anything about this year's raise yet? It was mentioned by my manager and several other people on this forum that they were talking about upping swings pay to keep the good swings from stepping down. I haven't heard anything yet about what is actually happening though.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Don't hold your breath. I think the step progression raises are a little over a dollar a step. I wouldn't expect anything more than that. Just be happy if you even get a raise since they've been ripping off employees pay, hoarding it, and then using that stash to buy other companies like TNT. I'm not talking about old time employees that were topped out in less than 2 or 3 years. I'm talking about the ones that took 20 years (1/5th of a century) to be topped out. You getting hosed helped FDX buy all kinds of competitors.

dezguy

Whenever FedEx gives you ANY money, rest assured, as they hand that $5 bill, they're reaching around and taking $20 out of your wallet.

vantexan

Difference is, the raises with union people are guaranteed in a contract. Ours aren't.
If the stock market bubble bursts like real estate did in 2008 most likely they'll not give raises for a year or two. But I don't think they'll just arbitrarily take away raises. They've got a pretty good system in place cranking out profits so they've got the money to pay. Newhires have already demonstrated what happens if they don't pay.

Meat

Maybe he knows something we don't. What say you young Meat? Is there a way for Express to unionize?

To be honest with you, even if station-to-station membership was possible, I still think it would be very difficult to get done at many locations. The "old guard" wouldn't vote for it, as the incentive for paying union dues would be minimal; and in my personal opinion, people under the age of 40 just don't seem to give a :censored2:; they don't seem to realize how difficult retirement will be for their generation.

Meat

Newhires have already demonstrated what happens if they don't pay.

Once the afore mentioned "old guard" is gone, I suspect that staffing will be a constant issue. Millennials don't seem to like to work, frequently change jobs, and are obsessed with the notion of fame (tough to pretend that you're famous when you wear polyester to work).

vantexan

Once the afore mentioned "old guard" is gone, I suspect that staffing will be a constant issue. Millennials don't seem to like to work, frequently change jobs, and are obsessed with the notion of fame (tough to pretend that you're famous when you wear polyester to work).
Once they get married and have kids they settle down. Happens to every generation. They were right to walk away from the demands without fair compensation but the new pay plan makes it a better job than many out there. And the job is much more streamlined these days. Before Ground we were driving full stepvans and using delivery records. Power Pads, Sprinters, and mostly lightweight pkgs make it a much more reasonable job.

It will be fine

To be honest with you, even if station-to-station membership was possible, I still think it would be very difficult to get done at many locations. The "old guard" wouldn't vote for it, as the incentive for paying union dues would be minimal; and in my personal opinion, people under the age of 40 just don't seem to give a :censored2:; they don't seem to realize how difficult retirement will be for their generation.
At least 2 of the Freight stations that voted in the teamsters are decertifying now. They won't get anymore stations signed on to a union if the union can't deliver.

Meat

Once they get married and have kids they settle down. Happens to every generation

As far as I know, the millennials will be the first generation where the majority of children are born out of wedlock - the family unit is not the stabilizing structure that it once was. You can see the children from those households a mile away; they generally have tattoos from top-to-bottom, and the subtext of said tattoos seems to be "please ask me why my parents never created a real family."

Oldfart

This Oct. raise was right there for everyone to see when they announced last years new pay steps. The chart was on the video and on the printout that was available. I doubt there would be a deduction in the raise that was shown and would be very surprised if the previously announced raise was increased.

Meat

At least 2 of the Freight stations that voted in the teamsters are decertifying now. They won't get anymore stations signed on to a union if the union can't deliver.

It's sad, but most unions aren't what they used to be. I have an acquaintance that has representation (for a skilled position) and the wage increases have generally been one percent a year since 2008. The subject of striking is NEVER broached, as very few people can miss even one paycheck. Yeah, they still have a private pension, but when you start to research how those pensions are funded, it's hardly a slam-dunk that those entitlements will come to fruition.

MAKAVELI

It's sad, but most unions aren't what they used to be. I have an acquaintance that has representation (for a skilled position) and the wage increases have generally been one percent a year since 2008. The subject of striking is NEVER broached, as very few people can miss even one paycheck. Yeah, they still have a private pension, but when you start to research how those pensions are funded, it's hardly a slam-dunk that those entitlements will come to fruition.
The trade unions are still very strong.

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe he knows something we don't. What say you young Meat? Is there a way for Express to unionize?
Maybe you could start showing up at the union hall meetings and be the members' coffee bitch. In time maybe you could be non voting members. Maybe in 10 years the union will decide you're worth taking up the struggle.

Meat

Maybe you could start showing up at the union hall meetings and be the members' coffee bitch. In time maybe you could be non voting members. Maybe in 10 years the union will decide you're worth taking up the struggle.

It would be an easy enough gig. In my experience, generally speaking, approximately 4 - 6 people show up to the monthly meetings (nobody under 50).