Those black crashbars

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
If I had to go back to pkg today,,,they would be sorry !!! they thought I sucked in the 80;s and 90's,,,,wait till they see what I could do now,,,lol

Dagoof

You put the pkg down on the floor, grab the bar with your right hand and slowly back out of the truck while watching your footing. When firmly on the ground you pick up pkg pivot and continue to your delivery area. Its not that difficult. That damn seat gets me all of the time.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You put the pkg down on the floor, grab the bar with your right hand and slowly back out of the truck while watching your footing. When firmly on the ground you pick up pkg pivot and continue to your delivery area. Its not that difficult. That damn seat gets me all of the time.
Nope, you'll get zinged if you do that on an observation. Can't go out of your truck backwards like a ladder. We had a guy who did this last month and had a missed work injury as a result.

On the newer 1000's, they are equipped with those black bars that resemble a roll cage down by the heater blower. I'm not tall but average size of 5'9" and I find these bars extremely awkward to use when I exit the PC. To maintain 3-point contact, I find myself leaning and almost having to step sideways out of the car which I find a little unsafe. Getting into the car they are nice and offer a lot of support.

On our cars we do not have external or A-frame mounted handhold I really dislike trying to grab that black bar everytime I get out of the car. I don't grab the door to exit as I did that once and the door came sliding closed and I almost lost my hand and biffed it face first. Do any of you taller guys (or average height) have any problems with that bar or am I just imagining all this?
So are you saying you want a high step manual no power steering truck back?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
So are you saying you want a high step manual no power steering truck back?
The workhorse 700s from a few years ago did it right. Had a large area where that cage is where you could set packages as you're getting in and out of the truck and still had real handholds at shoulder level.

CHALLY9TX

I drive one of the newer 1000s and have a handrail besides the black bar. I have the window open on the door and sometimes use that part of the door as a handrail.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1413255863.678156.jpg
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1413255879.577334.jpg

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
A handrail pointing toward the inside seems kind of pointless. Should be pointing toward the jumpseat so you can use it getting in and out.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Actually it's perfect for exiting. For entering its easier to use the black bar.
Sent using BrownCafe App
Mine lacks any other handhold but I agree, getting in the bars are quite nice and offer a lot of support. It wouldn't even be so bad if the bars were made a little higher up.

O

OLDMAN3

Nope, you'll get zinged if you do that on an observation. Can't go out of your truck backwards like a ladder. We had a guy who did this last month and had a missed work injury as a result.

You might get a write up on an observation but it will save your knees in the long run. Watch us old guys deliver sometime, it is all about what does not hurt your body, not what they say is safe or unsafe. Climb out backwards like on a ladder, use straps but don't squeeze them (never once cut my hands on them using an open palm). Carry longs (like rugs) on your shoulder if you have no rotater cuff issues. Don't use the Spock hold to carry boxes or you will end up with worn out painful thumb joints.