Those in central states please respond - warning letter for calling in sick 2 days in a row...

I'm relatively new to UPS...been working here for little over a year. I'm a part-timer working under the Central States contract. I work at a large Hub. Anyways, I called in sick this past Monday and Tuesday as I was legitimately sick with the flu/cold. After calling in on Tuesday, I was called back by our sort manager and was told that they needed me there tonight (Tuesday) and if I didn't show up there would be repercussions. I told him that I understood, but said I would not be there as I was sick. I show up to work yesterday (Wednesday), still sick....blood shot eyes, bad cough, raspy throat, and sweat beads all over my face in 20 degree weather even before I started working......and said sort manager and part time sup approach me and give me warning letter which i refuse to sign. I basically tell them, "look at me, i'm clearly still sick and didn't call in the previous two days just to extend my X-mas vacation" (as we had thursday and friday off the week before). I got the impression both sups realized I was actually sick, but sort manager tells me "well...consider this a verbal warning then" and trots off like the jerk i now know he is. Before this, I have called in only once, and that was back in April

Before creating this post, I searched the forum for info on attendance policy under central states and have seen others from central states say that there is a 3 occurrences in 90 day rule before discipline begins. Being a proud union guy, I've read our central states contract front-to-back and back-to-front....but I don't see anything about a 3 occurrences in 90 day rule in the contract. I called our local union today for information on this, but they are out until Monday.

Can anyone provide clarification on this 3 occurrences in 90 day rule or is just a rumor? If it is true, I feel i was unjustly disciplined for calling in two days in a row and would like to know what recourse I have, if any, because I hope to make this a career (hope to drive eventually after I get my time in) and want to let management know early on they will not walk over this guy.

Thanks all!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wait until you are feeling better before you sit down with him/her to discuss this face to face. You were clearly sick and he was out of line for trying to discipline you.

I may be wrong but I don't think you can grieve a verbal warning.

Wait until you are feeling better before you sit down with him/her to discuss this face to face. You were clearly sick and he was out of line for trying to discipline you.

I may be wrong but I don't think you can grieve a verbal warning.

Thanks for the reply. What about them trying to have me sign a warning letter?

Again, I'm really interested in hearing about this 3 occurrences in 90 days policy for central states that others have mentioned in these forums. Based on what they have said, management had no right to discipline (verbal or warning letter) me for what was essentially 1 occurrence (calling in 2 days in a row).

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
You are suppose to get six days a year. Furthermore you called off monday you didnt need to call them tuesday. The second day is free so to speak I been told. 2 days counts as one. If you miss 3 days you need a doctor's note. Verbal you cant grieve. You can grieve harrasment or written warning. Your new so their trying to push your buttons.

Jkloc420

You only need to call them to call yourself back in. So when u called they figured you werent that sick is my guess. Furthermore if your out sick their not allowed to call you. Just like on vacation.

You are suppose to get six days a year. Furthermore you called off monday you didnt need to call them tuesday. The second day is free so to speak I been told. 2 days counts as one. If you miss 3 days you need a doctor's note. Verbal you cant grieve. You can grieve harrasment or written warning. Your new so their trying to push your buttons.

6 days a year? Well, like I mentioned in my original post, according to others under the central states contract that have posted on these forums, we are under some 3 in 90 day rule. Just wanted clarification from other central staters here. Guess I better just wait until Monday when I call my local about this.

But yeah, I agree, they were definitely trying to push my buttons.

Just trying to stand up for myself is all.

Jkloc420

6 days a year? Well, like I mentioned in my original post, according to others under the central states contract that have posted on these forums, we are under some 3 in 90 day rule. Just wanted clarification from other central staters here. Guess I better just wait until Monday when I call my local about this.

But yeah, I agree, they were definitely trying to push my buttons.

Just trying to stand up for myself is all.

i am in Ohio, never heard of any 3 day in 90 rule. That means you can get written up every 90 days.

Also considering your 2 days off only counts has one. Then where did the other two days come from.

That why I created this post. I never had any other 2 days (or occurrences) in these last 90 days or even a year. The only other time I called in, as I mentioned in my original post, was back in April. That's why I feel i was unjustly disciplined. I have only 2 occurrences in my whole career at UPS thus far.

Also, I was just basing this 3 occurrences in 90 days rule from what others have posted before in these forums. I have no idea if it exists or not. That's why I wanted other central staters to chime in...

Thanks.

Jkloc420

That why I created this post. I never had any other 2 days (or occurrences) in these last 90 days or even a year. The only other time I called in, as I mentioned in my original post, was back in April. That's why I feel i was unjustly disciplined. I have only 2 occurrences in my whole career at UPS thus far.

Also, I was just basing this 3 occurrences in 90 days rule from what others have posted before in these forums. I have no idea if it exists or not. That's why I wanted other central staters to chime in...

Thanks.

I have been here for 14 years. I never heard of it at all. So maybe it is a new thing. I have called off before for two days and never heard that dumb rule. I heard the six day thing but not the 3 in 90 days

Jkloc420

Your best bet is to call the hall and get the best information that you can. Which you did so that was the right step.