Thoughts / Advice on moving from a ramp to a station

MemphisHubFedExer

Coming up soon I might have an opportunity to leave the ramp and take a courier job. I know the work exprience is different at every location, but I wanted some perspective on the positives and negatives of making the move from some of yall that might have done both or have been couriers for a while. Thanks.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Coming up soon I might have an opportunity to leave the ramp and take a courier job. I know the work exprience is different at every location, but I wanted some perspective on the positives and negatives of making the move from some of yall that might have done both or have been couriers for a while. Thanks.
I’ve done both. Not sure what you do at the Ramp but I would advise you stay there. It’s a whole different world at the stations. Night and day. A lot more fast paced. Much more stressful. I’ve been a courier for a looong time in total years.

MemphisHubFedExer

I’ve done both. Not sure what you do at the Ramp but I would advise you stay there. It’s a whole different world at the stations. Night and day. A lot more fast paced. Much more stressful. I’ve been a courier for a looong time in total years.
I'm a ramp agent. I've heard that before from some of the other couriers I've talked to. I've also known some other guys that were glad to get out of the Memphis hub. It can be a rat race at the hub too. Appreciate it man.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I'm a ramp agent. I've heard that before from some of the other couriers I've talked to. I've also known some other guys that were glad to get out of the Memphis hub. It can be a rat race at the hub too. Appreciate it man.
We’ve had two Ramp agents transfer to my station because they jacked up their hours and day off at the Ramp. One is a cover driver, same pay, and the other became an Ops Mgr. The cover driver seems to like it. The manager hates it and has been trying to leave since he got here. Lol.

Oldfart

Haven't been to the hub in years but it has to be crazy out there. Depends on what your job would be at a station, I can't believe it wouldn't be an improvement. Not sure what the pay situation would be if you switched, depends on what station you were going to. At least as a courier you are only responsible for yourself and don't have to depend on hubites doing their job or your job gets jeopardized. Has to be better weather conditions unless you camp out in the weight shack all night now. You are still outside but you do get be in the truck between stops, so that helps in bad weather. I never was a ramp agent but have plenty of courier experience.

bacha29

Up my way it's not "yall" it's "youzins" if you're going to crawl into one of those tin coffins remember what they're like in wintertime conditions. You say stop it says "when". You say turn it says" does it matter which direction?". And those things attached to your shoulders? Those are your " Mexican Towmotors" Make sure that they have enough years left in them before you make the jump.

MemphisHubFedExer

Haven't been to the hub in years but it has to be crazy out there. Depends on what your job would be at a station, I can't believe it wouldn't be an improvement. Not sure what the pay situation would be if you switched, depends on what station you were going to. At least as a courier you are only responsible for yourself and don't have to depend on hubites doing their job or your job gets jeopardized. Has to be better weather conditions unless you camp out in the weight shack all night now. You are still outside but you do get be in the truck between stops, so that helps in bad weather. I never was a ramp agent but have plenty of courier experience.
The part about other parts of the hub operations jeopardizing my job is more annoying than the weather. Appreciate it.

Star B

White Lightening
I keep hearing how stressful being a courier is. I've been a courier since day 1. What's so stressful about it and when does the stressful part begin?
Some people can let stuff roll off their back/ignore/in one ear out another stress and people pushing them going "FASTER FASTER FASTER".... some people don't want to fail and it beats them up inside when they do, even if there wasn't anything they could really do about it.... plenty of stressful things.

Yankeefan

Olv/ghm? I was over there about 2 years ago and it wasn't too bad. Personally prefer the hub myself though. One thing that is nice is you don't have to plan an extra 15 minutes or so for the damn buses to take you to where you need to go and can just clock in straight from your car.

MemphisHubFedExer

Olv/ghm? I was over there about 2 years ago and it wasn't too bad. Personally prefer the hub myself though. One thing that is nice is you don't have to plan an extra 15 minutes or so for the damn buses to take you to where you need to go and can just clock in straight from your car.
ARG. They mainly serve North west MS, mostly Desoto county

Oldfart

Your route (assuming you really have one) must be a cakewalk.
Why get stressed out? The job is about time management and being organized. While it can be physically demanding, the mental aspect of it is pretty easy. It's so easy even I can do it.