Threats of losing driving privileges while preloading.

QualityLoads

Hi I work for a building in south Florida, hired as a preload package handler in March 2014. I became a TCD during the summer and drove a route 5 days a week from early November to late janurary, I made book. Management gave me the impression that I did a good job driving, but my low seniority hit me and now I only do Saturday airs.

I returned to preload about 2 weeks ago. I'm not the best loader and get hassled by management to pick up the pace daily. I deal with it because it's what I have to do to build time with ups and eventually drive full time, which I enjoyed very much during peak. (I'm Not here to load cars for a living)... today the preload manager said if I have anymore misloads he will make sure I don't go driving again. Not sure if he was half joking or not, everyone knows I only want to be here to drive. I feel like they are trying to threaten my status as a driver. Even before I passed my 30 days driving they would call me "mr. IwannaBeADriver" and tell me that if I dont preload correctly I will never go driving.

I put in a lot of work to get to this point and don't want to jeopardize my status as a driver, also I don't want to get a huge target on my back while I preload. I just want to do my time and eventually drive. What are my options?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hi I work for a building in south Florida, hired as a preload package handler in March 2014. I became a TCD during the summer and drove a route 5 days a week from early November to late janurary, I made book. Management gave me the impression that I did a good job driving, but my low seniority hit me and now I only do Saturday airs.

I returned to preload about 2 weeks ago. I'm not the best loader and get hassled by management to pick up the pace daily. I deal with it because it's what I have to do to build time with ups and eventually drive full time, which I enjoyed very much during peak. (I'm Not here to load cars for a living)... today the preload manager said if I have anymore misloads he will make sure I don't go driving again. Not sure if he was half joking or not, everyone knows I only want to be here to drive. I feel like they are trying to threaten my status as a driver. Even before I passed my 30 days driving they would call me "mr. IwannaBeADriver" and tell me that if I dont preload correctly I will never go driving.

I put in a lot of work to get to this point and don't want to jeopardize my status as a driver, also I don't want to get a huge target on my back while I preload. I just want to do my time and eventually drive. What are my options?
Keep your mouth shut and load...do you need a tampon...I've got extras.

J

jibbs

Talk to your steward, my brutha.

Only way they'll keep you from driving once you've accrued enough seniority and there's an open spot is if you DQ yourself somewhere along the line. Don't give them a reason to give you a driving DQ and you'll be golden.

Supe might be able to make it his/her personal mission to :censored2: with you, but I doubt it. It's POSSIBLE, don't get me wrong... I just doubt it. My opinion is they're threatening something you consider valuable to try and squeeze a better preload performance out of you. Funny thing is, until they fire you from preload then they're just blowing hot air your way.

Best bet would be to keep the union involved on what's going on with you just in case your management team does start walking all over the contract and skips over you some time in the future. Show up every day on-time, don't BS on the clock, put forth your best effort while not getting into fistfights with other loaders or stealing :censored2: and you're pretty much untouchable.

[EDIT: If you don't know who your stewards are in your hub, ask a driver that you're friendly with to point you in the direction of one. It's best not to ask management about union stewards because, in my experience, they tend to get the most submissive, yessir-whatever-you-say-sir kind of guys when you leave it up to them to bring a steward into the conversation.]

Last edited by a moderator:

QualityLoads

Talk to your steward, my brutha.

Only way they'll keep you from driving once you've accrued enough seniority and there's an open spot is if you DQ yourself somewhere along the line. Don't give them a reason to give you a driving DQ and you'll be golden.

Supe might be able to make it his/her personal mission to :censored2: with you, but I doubt it. It's POSSIBLE, don't get me wrong... I just doubt it. My opinion is they're threatening something you consider valuable to try and squeeze a better preload performance out of you. Funny thing is, until they fire you from preload then they're just blowing hot air your way.

Best bet would be to keep the union involved on what's going on with you just in case your management team does start walking all over the contract and skips over you some time in the future. Show up every day on-time, don't BS on the clock, put forth your best effort while not getting into fistfights with other loaders or stealing :censored2: and you're pretty much untouchable.

[EDIT: If you don't know who your stewards are in your hub, ask a driver that you're friendly with to point you in the direction of one. It's best not to ask management about union stewards because, in my experience, they tend to get the most submissive, yessir-whatever-you-say-sir kind of guys when you leave it up to them to bring a steward into the conversation.]

Thanks I figured they threaten my driver job because it's the only way they can squeeze a better load out of me, I'll keep my steward updated. I only have 2 tcds under me so i know who should be going home if I go home. I want my preload days to go as smooth as possible and be over with asap.

upschuck

They can do little to keep you from driving, it is all based on seniority. They are just pushing the new guy buttons to get higher production numbers from you out of fear that somehow they can restrict you from going driving.

ChrisTheBrown

Thanks I figured they threaten my driver job because it's the only way they can squeeze a better load out of me, I'll keep my steward updated. I only have 2 tcds under me so i know who should be going home if I go home. I want my preload days to go as smooth as possible and be over with asap.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are right now..I just made book for driving, last summer, on 7/3/14. Depending on how big your center/ hub is, & how long you have to wait for people to start retiring..You'll most likely just be working the preload, for the majority of the year. Find something else on the side to supplement your income, (if possible) & keep earning your seniority with UPS in the meantime. Just gotta keep plugging along..& don't let any of those STUPER-visors intimidate you..

This morning as I was unloading, I saw something written on the wall in one of the trailers, & it said :

"U ndereducated
P eople
S upervising"

Thought it was cute. Good luck.

Sent using BrownCafe App

laffter

To my understanding, preload management has no authority to directly affect anyone's driving status. The dude on your ass might have some sort of influence on the matter, but no real power. As suggested by others above, don't do anything that will disqualify you. Nothing you do in preload is going to affect your driving, unless you do something that affects your employment status as a whole (get terminated).

Johney

I'm in South Florida. Trust me just show up for preload you got a LONG time before you become a friend/T driver and with that low of a seniority date you most likely won't be cover driving again until Nov.

herbigharo32

If a supervisor is writing you up over every little detail, talk to one of the center supervisors first about being moved to another belt. Chances are good your immediate supervisor will concur and you go work another belt.

QualityLoads

I'm in South Florida. Trust me just show up for preload you got a LONG time before you become a friend/T driver and with that low of a seniority date you most likely won't be cover driving again until Nov.

I'm driving the next 2 days so there goes your story about November. The wait for full time is less than 2 years over here. Also there's a lot of 25+ year drivers that are presumed to retire soon. I know I won't have to preload for years. I'm just annoyed that preload puts me on a heavy industrial load that's always a mess. then they want to push the only button they know has an affect on me, which is trying to sabotage my driver status.

Box Ox

Management will say anything to shake up the newer people and improve its numbers. But if you're consistently misloading all over the place nothing's gonna save your preload job which is the bridge to any driving you'll do for now. Misloads cost big money and there are plenty of people behind you who will step in.

All making book as a TCD does is keeps you from having to do it again when a full time slot opens up.