Time Spent Sorting Truck And Methods

mrbrownstone

I find that I struggle figuring out the best way to sort out my truck thrughout the day.

Currently, I am on a route where I can't work off of one shelf for a long period of time even when doing resis based on the way edd is set up and how the route runs. I have to get off most of my businesses first thing in the morning so this isn't where I run into problems. I run into problems when I start the resis.

So here's an example of a typical situation that I run into. I start my resis and can't find the package. I don't want to spend to much time digging yet know that sorting is necessary for me to work the most efficiently throughout the rest of the day. Because I don't want to waste to much time digging for a package I sort a little and then move on only to find the package a little while later. Unfortunately, with the route I am doing I can't get through a whole shelving section before moving on to the next one. For example I might be working off of the 3000 section for a few stops but then jump to another shelving section.

I run into problems because I don't want to spend too much time at 1 stop looking for a package but also know that at some point I need to get things sorted to get done.

What do you guys do when sorting your truck? Do you sort the whole section you are in until you are sure you don't have the package then move on or do you just move on quickly? Also how much do you usually sort at once? When I am running behind or think I am running behind I hate to spend to much time sorting because I want to be delivering but probably waste too much time looking. How do you judge how much to sort and and how long to dig? Also how do you remember when a package is too big for the shelf and it is on the floor? If you have a lot of large packages on the floor you waste time constantly scanning them all the time. I have heard some guys use post it notes or info notices to remind them.

Depends on the stop location. If this stop is in the middle of no where and it isn't feasible to return then I will make a good attempt to find the package. Otherwise I allow a min or 2 tops to locate packages. In the bulky route I do. As soon as I start I switch over to RDO. Deliver my businesses first 1,23 and sometimes 4000 section. Seems like you may need to speak with management to see if they can move your business stops to a 1 or 2000 section (if I'm understanding your issue correctly)

If you know you have a bad load (and you can usually tell) I think it's better to get your air off and any known huge bulk stops off, then maybe sort your truck out completely. Sometimes it'll take 15 mins but it beats having to spend 3 mins every stop finding :censored2:. But hey, that's just me

porkwagon

When you are looking for a package, line up the next few stops until you find it. If you don't find it by the time you lined up about ten stops, move on.

Knothead

Yep.
Around 2pm, I find a nice shady spot and sort the whole thing out. It seems like it is a waste of time while you are doing it, but you make the 15 or 20 minutes up by not having to dig for 2 or 3 minutes every other stop for a package that may or may not be there. Give it a try, you will be surprised how quickly you can get through a section when the next package you need is the next one on the shelf.

screamin chicken

We have to sort because we have to find our bad slaps, misloads before 3 so they (sups) can pick them up and take them to the correct routes, I usually go in 30 mins early and set my route up....

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We have to sort because we have to find our bad slaps, misloads before 3 so they (sups) can pick them up and take them to the correct routes, I usually go in 30 mins early and set my route up....
I have a lawn you can mow since you like doing work for free. Give me the names of those sups so I can file as well, considering you don't have the stones to do it.

Indecisi0n

Let me edit that for you :
"...So I can show I am afraid to stand up for myself and avoid all confrontation so I give them to my sup and not file. I understand this could cost jobs and money for my fellow union members but it makes me look like a friend to my sup and maybe he won't target me for this reason. "

Sorry I have to go now and sort because I only have 10 minutes left on my break.

screamin chicken

actually work as instructed, the union has no back bone... if I do not sort and I find one after 5 and its a buisness im getting a trip to the office, and then when my union rep. that plays both sides says did you sort and I say no then im done. You guys have bashed me for years on here, your centers are not like mine, good for you, I wish I could be part of that. You guys are lucky not to be in my Div. yu guys have NO CLUE....

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
actually work as instructed, the union has no back bone... if I do not sort and I find one after 5 and its a buisness im getting a trip to the office, and then when my union rep. that plays both sides says did you sort and I say no then im done. You guys have bashed me for years on here, your centers are not like mine, good for you, I wish I could be part of that. You guys are lucky not to be in my Div. yu guys have NO CLUE....
Speak for yourself when you say the union has no backbone. We are all the union and I most certainly have a backbone. You choose to be scared of a piece of paper that they say you did something wrong on. If you stay scared and intimidated your entire life you'll just be walked all over, stand up or continue to be a door mat, your choice.

mdnj88

I have a lawn you can mow since you like doing work for free. Give me the names of those sups so I can file as well, considering you don't have the stones to do it.
Yea man. In my center that's free easy money lately. Sups shuttling. I feel like I get another $60-80 every week from a grievance check

box_beeyotch

And if you told him you were sorting "off the clock" their would be an issue from any union rep as well as your management team. Let me just sort my truck off the clock so my numbers look better instead of working longer and getting paid for it.

Grey

You can sort your truck whenever you want. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. This is Murica.