Time to go to work

Stun

Hey ya'll. Wanted to start out by saying that 85% of what I have read on here and online has stated that UPS is awful. It sucks. I start very soon as a loader and unloader. I am going to go into the job with a huge work ethic, expecting it to SUCK. I am not expecting much out of it. My objective is to stick with the company and work up. It takes time, it takes a lot of work. I am just ready to get my foot in the door.

I know this forum has the reputation that many think the company sucks, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

IN all SERIOUSNESS I have a few questions-

What is the starting pay?

What is the average weight per box?

Do part timers get holiday pay if they work on a holiday (and what does UPS consider a holiday?).

AGAIN: I am expecting nothing in the first few months of this job. I expect it to SUCK but I am confident I can pull through as I have a great work ethic. UPS gives me the ability to at least work hard and get a good work out.

Wish me luck, we'll see how it goes.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hey ya'll. Wanted to start out by saying that 85% of what I have read on here and online has stated that UPS is awful. It sucks. I start very soon as a loader and unloader. I am going to go into the job with a huge work ethic, expecting it to SUCK. I am not expecting much out of it. My objective is to stick with the company and work up. It takes time, it takes a lot of work. I am just ready to get my foot in the door.

I know this forum has the reputation that many think the company sucks, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

IN all SERIOUSNESS I have a few questions-

Do part timers get holiday pay if they work on a holiday (and what does UPS consider a holiday?).

AGAIN: I am expecting nothing in the first few months of this job. I expect it to SUCK but I am confident I can pull through as I have a great work ethic. UPS gives me the ability to at least work hard and get a good work out.

Wish me luck, we'll see how it goes.
FYI....you are being hired as a seasonal package handler during the holiday season....there is a good possibility you will not have a job in January. Just telling you the facts.

Payrate questions....you should have asked at your interview. That's just commonsense.

Stun

FYI....you are being hired as a seasonal package handler during the holiday season....there is a good possibility you will not have a job in January. Just telling you the facts.

Payrate questions....you should have asked at your interview. That's just commonsense.

The job is long term not just seasonal, I already asked.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

$10/hour or local minimum wage, whichever is higher.

You'll handle everything from letters to 150 lbs. (or more). "Average" is deceitful. Because of density, many 30 lbs. packages feel heavier than 50 lbs. ones.

Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day are paid holidays (AFTER you reach seniority). As a PTer, if you're forced to work on a holiday... which isn't common, except for the day after T-giving and New Year's Eve, it's straight time + holiday pay.

Stun

Yeah...HR tends to lie....you'll see. But you didn't ask how much it pays??

I will re-confirm it. The interviews were rushed and not what I expected. I am sure it will be around anywhere from $8-$10 I am traveling a little ways so as long as it pays for gas and wages.

Stun

$10/hour or local minimum wage, whichever is higher.

You'll handle everything from letters to 150 lbs. (or more). "Average" is deceitful. Because of density, many 30 lbs. packages feel heavier than 50 lbs. ones.

Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day are paid holidays (AFTER you reach seniority). As a PTer, if you're forced to work on a holiday... which isn't common, except for the day after T-giving and New Year's Eve, it's straight time + holiday pay.

Awesome, thank you! Very informative but I WILL take this info with a grain of salt. $10 isn't bad at all and even less I wouldn't mind too much.

PeasAndCarrots

Starting pay is what...$9-$10 now?

Avg weight is probably 20lb or so.

No holiday pay until a you've reached a year. Holidays are the average I guess. Memorial, labor, thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day, etc. Forget about getting off every time the post office does but it's not that bad.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Awesome, thank you! Very informative but I WILL take this info with a grain of salt. $10 isn't bad at all and even less I wouldn't mind too much.

There's no need to "take it with a grain of salt."

We work under a CBA (union contract). Starting pay is $10, period, unless local minimum wage is higher. A $1 premium is offered for "skilled" positions -- including sorting and loading trucks -- so you may earn $11. But I'd expect $10 and be happy if I earned $11.

Stun

There's no need to "take it with a grain of salt."

We work under a CBA (union contract). Starting pay is $10, period, unless local minimum wage is higher. A $1 premium is offered for "skilled" positions -- including sorting and loading trucks -- so you may earn $11. But I'd expect $10 and be happy if I earned $11.

Awesome! Making me feel better already. I will go ahead and say that I am finishing high school. Nice pay for a student IMO.

Stun

Lol that's the first lie you were told,started off on the right foot....many more to come

With everything I have had to gone through and all of the friends that have been there for 14+ years, I expect that it is long term, again I will ask and be very clear with my expectations for the position.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
With everything I have had to gone through and all of the friends that have been there for 14+ years, I expect that it is long term, again I will ask and be very clear with my expectations for the position.
Nobody hired now is considered permanent. Maybe they'll keep you on...but odds are...probably not. But what do I know...I only work here, and see hundreds just like you every peak..lol.

Stun

Nobody hired now is considered permanent. Maybe they'll keep you on...but odds are...probably not. But what do I know...I only work here, and see hundreds just like you every peak..lol.

We'll see where it goes. I take pride in a task I do. If it doesn't work out, then so be it. Hopefully I'll see you after peak

AndUPSER

We kept every guy but one after peak season and that's because he spent a week in jail. Half of our seasonals tend to quit before Christmas.