Time to respond to a winning bid

The Range

In too deep
I had signed a 6 for 1 driving bid a few weeks back. I've been part-time at UPS for 10 years. The phone number HR called was my family's house, where I haven't resided in 8 years. I made a point to update upsers + inform my center manager to update my phone number 8 years ago for extension purposes et cetera. I was on the phone with a family member and was told "a man from ups human resources left a message saying something about a bid at UPS". I quickly call my center, about 40 hours after the message was left at the wrong number and am told "sorry the bid is closed, want to do temporary cover driving".

I'm not sure I could have done much different, as I once again reinforced the number was incorrect and please update it. When the next line of bids come out, who is to say the same old number won't be the one called? Before you know it I am an 80 year old man without a full time spot as yearly they call a number I am not associated with. The reality is I will now be behind multiple people seniority wise. Do they not have a duty to inform you in person? I do work there every day. Losing a 100k/year job because they refuse to update employees contact info seems sketchy. Seems like a good way to circumvent undesirables.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I had signed a 6 for 1 driving bid a few weeks back. I've been part-time at UPS for 10 years. The phone number HR called was my family's house, where I haven't resided in 8 years. I made a point to update upsers + inform my center manager to update my phone number 8 years ago for extension purposes et cetera. I was on the phone with a family member and was told "a man from ups human resources left a message saying something about a bid at UPS". I quickly call my center, about 40 hours after the message was left at the wrong number and am told "sorry the bid is closed, want to do temporary cover driving".

I'm not sure I could have done much different, as I once again reinforced the number was incorrect and please update it. When the next line of bids come out, who is to say the same old number won't be the one called? Before you know it I am an 80 year old man without a full time spot as yearly they call a number I am not associated with. The reality is I will now be behind multiple people seniority wise. Do they not have a duty to inform you in person? I do work there every day. Losing a 100k/year job because they refuse to update employees contact info seems sketchy. Seems like a good way to circumvent undesirables.

Your phone number, is irrelevant at best....

Unless they were trying to contact you for an "extra work" opportunity.

File a grievance.

Easy win.

-Bug-

The Range

In too deep
What is clarification on a 6 to 1 list right now? The list was dated to come down mid September. Would that be "seasonal" work or am I on the clock for 30 days throughout the holiday season signing the 6 to 1 as a part timer dated mid sept? I reviewed the voice message, the man specified it was a 6 to 1 full time bid. That was also the only bid I had signed. Their exact words upon contacting them were "that is now closed but we can offer you temp cover". I will file a grievance on it if there is merit.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What is clarification on a 6 to 1 list right now? The list was dated to come down mid September. Would that be "seasonal" work? I reviewed the voice message, the man specified it was a 6 to 1 full time bid. That was also the only bid I had signed. Their exact words upon contacting them were "that is now closed but we can offer you temp cover". I will file a grievance on it if there is merit.

Had you been to work at all between the time that they "called" and the time they pulled the bid down?

The Range

In too deep
Had you been to work at all between the time that they "called" and the time they pulled the bid down?

I signed the 6 for 1 a month ago. The list was taken down a few weeks ago. They called 1.5 days ago. I have been to work every day ;)

And "BigUnionGuy", that was a general statement. I seek advice/opinions from multiple sources. Is your opinion not worthy of consideration?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I signed the 6 for 1 a month ago and I've been at work every day since.

And "BigUnionGuy", that was a general statement. I seek advice/opinions from multiple sources. Is your opinion not worthy of consideration?

To be blunt, in my opinion, Bug thinks quite highly of his own opinion.

You say that you have at work every day since. Did anyone approach you at all between the time of the phone call and the date that they took the bid down telling you that you had "won" the bid?

The Range

In too deep

You say that you have at work every day since. Did anyone approach you at all between the time of the phone call and the date that they took the bid down telling you that you had "won" the bid?

Nope. I found out about it a few hours ago from a family member that still resides at the old contact info. I went there and listed to the voicemail then called HR and was told "it was closed, you can do temp cover driving". I already contacted my BA about the issue, seeking multiple avenues/viewpoints. The 6 for 1 posted at the start of 2016 was exhausted so it was reposted start of sept.

The Range

In too deep
Was the 6:1 an "intent to drive" or a bid sheet for an actual job?

The 6 for 1 is not a route bid but entitled "6 to 1 full time service provider opportunities". It would be the list they work from when filling full time roles for cover driving. In your example, it would be the former. It is important to distinguish that from the "temporary cover driver list" that pops up in our local, which I did not sign.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The 6 for 1 is not a route bid but entitled "6 to 1 full time service provider opportunities". It would be the list they work from when filling full time roles for cover driving. In your example, it would be the former. It is important to distinguish that from the "temporary cover driver list" that pops up in our local, which I did not sign.

With the free period coming up, you most likely would not get your seniority before the end of the year. Cover driving would get you the experience. I started as a casual (cover) driver and was FT within 11 months.

Based on what you just posted I don't believe that you have basis for a grievance. I may be wrong.

The Range

In too deep
You may be right, but working from 6 to 1 full time list should give me a better opportunity to come back after peak compared to accepting a position off the temp list.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You may be right, but working from 6 to 1 full time list should give me a better opportunity to come back after peak compared to accepting a position off the temp list.

The 6:1 intent to drive list is simply that------"I want to drive". Your performance and the need for new drivers will dictate whether you are asked to come back after Peak.

The Range

In too deep
The 6:1 intent to drive list is simply that------"I want to drive". Your performance and the need for new drivers will dictate whether you are asked to come back after Peak.

Yes, and I feel it is important to work from the list I signed instead of accepting a "TCD" position which is not what I signed. In locals that don't have temp cover drivers this might not be an issue but the separation seems important here, regardless of any free period. I can drive as a TCD with a few months. This is the first time I've been called in regards to the "6 for 1 full time" list in 10 years. Maybe the distinction isn't important in reality.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, and I feel it is important to work from the list I signed instead of accepting a "TCD" position which is not what I signed.

Today is the 7th. The earliest that you would go to school would be the 17th. One week of school and 30 days qualification puts us at Thanksgiving week. At that point you are not going to make your seniority and it won't matter whether you are a TCD or a FT driver candidate.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I seek advice/opinions from multiple sources.

That is generally referred to.... as "fishing".

Is your opinion not worthy of consideration?

The BUG.... is more than generous, with information.

What's the adage.... "Walk a mile, in my shoes" ??

Lets cut to the chase.

Upstate.... would have nothing.... without people like me.

And that, is a total "truth dart". :biggrin:

-Bug-

The Range

In too deep
Today is the 7th. The earliest that you would go to school would be the 17th. One week of school and 30 days qualification puts us at Thanksgiving week. At that point you are not going to make your seniority and it won't matter whether you are a TCD or a FT driver candidate.

The distinction should matter as my full time seniority date would set to the day I started driving school (right?). Time accrued until the free period would count towards my 30 days (right?). Where as if I accept TCD going into peak, I will be dropped without any of the aforementioned.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Do you suggest seeking information from multiple perspectives to gain a complete, unbiased, informed opinion is a negative? I enjoy fishing, departed from the metaphor.
Whether you take advice or not from BC or your own colleagues at your center, you have been here 10 years and have no Idea how things work. What's wrong with that picture?

The Range

In too deep
My question was on the obligation of management to inform you of your name being called before moving on. That is slightly obscure knowledge, which is why I reached out. Stating I have "no idea how things work" is a fallacy. I fully admit my knowledge on driving school and the free period is limited, which is why I am asking for clarification. You are absurd and the message you are putting out is paradoxical in nature.

Last edited: