Tips for a Seasonal Employee

Tron Swanson

I just got hired by UPS for a seasonal package handler position and want to do everything I can to lock myself into the one permanent position, I have been told is available after the holidays. I just came from a career in the oilfield and I know how to work. I am just looking for little things that can help me stand out among other seasonal drivers to help me start my new career at UPS! I have been to the FAQ page for new hires and it is very informative but it its deep and broad. I appreciate any input!
Thank you,
Tron

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
I just got hired by UPS for a seasonal package handler position and want to do everything I can to lock myself into the one permanent position, I have been told is available after the holidays. I just came from a career in the oilfield and I know how to work. I am just looking for little things that can help me stand out among other seasonal drivers to help me start my new career at UPS! I have been to the FAQ page for new hires and it is very informative but it its deep and broad. I appreciate any input!
Thank you,
Tron
If you get caught sleeping,blame your PT Sup for drugging you.

UPSGUY72

1. Show up to work everyday no matter what and on time and be ready to work1
2. Do what your told
3. Work with a purpose (just because the guy next to is slacking off doesn't mean you can)
4. Mind your own business (stay out of other people company politics )

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
So you were just hired as a seasonal load/unload position. Congrats to you. And HR told you that if you busted your ass every day, there would be a FT job waiting for you shortly after peak is over, right?
tumblr_mmrfpbW0Ey1sqqdgdo1_250.gif

Good luck to you. This job is what you make it. Hope it works out.

Tron Swanson

So you were just hired as a seasonal load/unload position. Congrats to you. And HR told you that if you busted your ass every day, there would be a FT job waiting for you shortly after peak is over, right?
tumblr_mmrfpbW0Ey1sqqdgdo1_250.gif

Good luck to you. This job is what you make it. Hope it works out.
I was promised nothing and I recognize that saying there is one position is a good way to squeeze productivity out of seasonal people. That being said. I want to know the right way to bust my ass. I appreciate all the responses!

browner89

I just got hired by UPS for a seasonal package handler position ----------------------------------------- help me stand out among other seasonal drivers

You were hired as a package handler, you won't be needing to stand out among the drivers, you'll either be loading trailers/package cars, unloading trailers/package cars, or bagging smalls.

Just work hard, show up on time, and look like you actually want the job. The other seasonal hires likely won't want to stay anyways. Good luck to you, too, but If you don't mind me asking, why turn down a job that pays as well as the oil industry? Don't care for the two-weeks on two-weeks off life? I don't think I'd be too into that, myself.

Tron Swanson

I am and have been unemployed for a minute now and anxious about starting my new (albeit temporary) job the right way. I feel as though I tried hard just to get this job and had to stand out to just get the last temp position. This may sound like a joke to you who already have the job I want but my family relies on how and where I apply myself. I have set my sights on UPS and I plan to stand out.

browner89

I am and have been unemployed for a minute now and anxious about starting my new (albeit temporary) job the right way. I feel as though I tried hard just to get this job and had to stand out to just get the last temp position. This may sound like a joke to you who already have the job I want but my family relies on how and where I apply myself. I have set my sights on UPS and I plan to stand out.

Good luck to you, but do understand that UPS does not care about you or your family and only about the numbers you produce for them, if this is your career choice then do everything they tell you to get hired permanently and put your name on the driving list every time it is available.

Pooter

Congrats and I know that feeling.

Honestly, just work your ass off. Be on time, never call off during the season and don't complain.

Most seasonals will drop like flies but since u have a family to support, then quitting is not an option and will be ahead of most.