Tips for feeder driving in the snow...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The bus driver had to park in a secured area just outside of Gate 8. The stadium is beautiful but not in the best part of town. I do remember spending $35 for two beers and two hot dogs. I also remember that the Dunkin' Donuts near the hotel (Yonkers) was one of the cleanest and nicest that I have ever been in.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The bus driver had to park in a secured area just outside of Gate 8. The stadium is beautiful but not in the best part of town. I do remember spending $35 for two beers and two hot dogs. I also remember that the Dunkin' Donuts near the hotel (Yonkers) was one of the cleanest and nicest that I have ever been in.
Yeah, it's the Bronx....it's not pretty. The four block walk from the subway to the stadium....you're pretty much guaranteed to see hookers and a homeless person wearing a hefty bag....right next to the guy on the corner selling Yankee hats for $40.....lol.

bluehdmc

All good suggestions. If you don't have winter wiper blades stop at the shop and get them. I've had to stop on a downhill in a blizzard to clean the ice off wipers. Have to make sure it's downhill under an overpass.
Make sure you have chains, if you do you probably won't need them.
Once you get rolling, try not to stop, (unless it's a downhill under an overpass). It can be a fine line between having enough speed to keep moving up hill and going too fast. Just gotta keep the wheels rolling without spinning them.
Old truckers saying, "Late freight beats NO freight."

Always take the advice from your safety committee. They have time to research the very latest tips and tricks while sitting in the office.

MaceFremonti

Lucked out so far today....only rain all the way to t/a....hopefully this " winter blast" turns out to be only rain tomorrow as well!

TX friend/the tips!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Many more experienced drivers here than me. I drive in a climate where we might go one winter with very little snow, then the next could have blizzards frequently.

This will be my third winter in feeders. The first year went without a flaw. Last year was much worse.

Everyone here has given good advice. The only thing I haven't seen, is what I feel is the most important advice I was given.

If things get real tough, where you start to feel unsafe or fearful of getting in an accident, pull over and wait until you feel safe. If that means your loads miss a sort, than that's what it means.

Sure, if you call them to say your pulling over, chances are, they will put some pressure on you. But what you MUST remember, if you run off the road or get in an accident, no excuse you give them will stop them from saying you were being unsafe.

They play both sides of the coin. That's ok, we understand this.

It's your job to protect yourself. If you need to pull over and wait the storm out or wait for salt trucks and snow plows to clear the road, then wait. No job is worth getting killed for, and you don't want to lose your job because you took a chance that backfired. Just make sure you communicate with your on-road supervisors if you need to pull over. Make sure they know what you are doing.

Be safe, man.

rushfan

Always take the advice from your safety committee. They have time to research the very latest tips and tricks while sitting in the office.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/tips-feeder-driving-snow-353660/index4.html#ixzz2lpnbis6q

ROTFLMAO!!!

Keep your chains organized. Learn quick chaining tips, bring extra snacks and water. Most importantly, bring toilet paper...You never know when you will be stuck in the snow, and will have to hang on to a dolly for leverage, while dropping a load.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
It really sucks as well for mechanics who have to deal with the consequences of those snowy days when they happen.
Do you guys get nailed with the transmission switch getting gumped up or unplugged? We have that happen all the time over here. Main cause of the tranny inhibit for us.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Do you guys get nailed with the transmission switch getting gumped up or unplugged? We have that happen all the time over here. Main cause of the tranny inhibit for us.

Not sure about your terminology of what it is exactly you mean. I'm mainly referring to spending the whole day either lugging around half a ton of chains, on my knees untwisting and repairing them and repairing all the thrashed fenderwells.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Not sure about your terminology of what it is exactly you mean. I'm mainly referring to spending the whole day either lugging around half a ton of chains, on my knees untwisting and repairing them and repairing all the thrashed fenderwells.

Have you ever worked with an automatic chain system, like insta-chain?
I wonder what that needs as far as maintenance. Seems like a good option.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
In my center, when it snows bad, or it is forcasted to be icy, the drivers with the longest safe driving records usually call in sick.

What does that tell you?