Tips for feeder driving in the snow...

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Maybe I'm still young and stupid, but so far, I still like the challenge. And, it's nice to see how many hours I can work in one day. 18 hours is my record.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Yeah, but it worked out perfect. Set the cruise so the tractor would idle, laid down across the dog house, cranked up the heat, and slept for three hours until my ride got there. Best of all? It was my Thursday, so I only had three hours left for Friday! Three day weekend.

Young and stupid, but also lucky...

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Do you guys get nailed with the transmission switch getting gumped up or unplugged? We have that happen all the time over here. Main cause of the tranny inhibit for us.
-sortaisle
Not sure about your terminology of what it is exactly you mean. I'm mainly referring to spending the whole day either lugging around half a ton of chains, on my knees untwisting and repairing them and repairing all the thrashed fenderwells.
Transmission range sensor (I forget the proper nomenclature) on the Allison transmissions?
I think the upgraded sensor is tan?

A

anonymous6

"Pretender and Down the Stretch " have some excellent ideas on the first page. I tell new drivers that if they are holding the steering wheel too tight then they are going too fast for conditions.

don't worry about how fast everyone else is going. triple your following distance. you really have to apply the 5 seeing habits all the time in bad weather. have the shop check your brake adjustment before you leave and if at all possible hit brakes on flat spot to see how trailer or set reacts ( in a safe clear spot )

I carry a blanket, extra flashlight, gloves, chain tool, extra chains, extra everything . you never know when you or a fellow driver needs help. extra bunjis, extra food and water, deicer and hammer to break out locked up brakes, a good metal tire bumper which can be used for many things.

common sense, patience ( huge ) expect everyone else to screw up in front of you so keep a lot of distance and finally don't look at your watch. the loads get there when they get there.

not mentioned. DONT use cruise control on ice and snow nor engine brake.

Last edited by a moderator:

QKRSTKR

Good post. I was wondering about extra gear such as jackets, hats, gloves, blankets, maybe a space blanket. With the little weather we have had already, I'm amazed at how fast some of these other drivers go. I just keep it in my lane and if you want to pass go ahead.

over9five

Staff member
Icy-Road-Crashes-120113-02-jpg.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-12-01-09h51m23s155-jpg.jpg

http://www.wcvb.com/weather/icy-roa...etts/-/9850416/23231038/-/j62r01/-/index.html

70 vehicles in crash this morning.
Icy roads caused this mess right beside the railyard. Story says three tractor trailers were involved, but I don't see any of ours in the pictures.

MaceFremonti

Had only one little problem with the weather on Wednesday. Apparently WV's DOT forgot to sand and salt one of the hills leading back into PA. The road surface went from being clear and damp to snow covered and icy instantly. Luckily (or unluckily) I was only doing about 40 at the time. I quickly lost momentum on the 6% upgrade as I was pulling a 69K+ lb set . Any throttle application would cause the drive tires to spin and kick the back of the tractor sideways. Of course I had people five feet off the back of my rear trailer at the time.

I thought I could let it slow down and keep it gear so that when I would then apply the throttle the lack of torque from being in too high of a gear would reduce the amount of wheel spin.

Nope.

At this point an additional slow lane opens up on the right so I put on my right flasher to move over and of course everyone behind me decides to zoom past me on the RIGHT.....sigh....

Once it was clear I coasted over to right lane and put my right side tires on the mini rumble strips that line the outside lane marker and viola....TRACTION!

:cool:

...and I made it home safe and sound!

Sent using BrownCafe App

fiddledee

Had only one little problem with the weather on Wednesday. Apparently WV's DOT forgot to sand and salt one of the hills leading back into PA. The road surface went from being clear and damp to snow covered and icy instantly. Luckily (or unluckily) I was only doing about 40 at the time. I quickly lost momentum on the 6% upgrade as I was pulling a 69K+ lb set . Any throttle application would cause the drive tires to spin and kick the back of the tractor sideways. Of course I had people five feet off the back of my rear trailer at the time.

I thought I could let it slow down and keep it gear so that when I would then apply the throttle the lack of torque from being in too high of a gear would reduce the amount of wheel spin.

Nope.

At this point an additional slow lane opens up on the right so I put on my right flasher to move over and of course everyone behind me decides to zoom past me on the RIGHT.....sigh....

Once it was clear I coasted over to right lane and put my right side tires on the mini rumble strips that line the outside lane marker and viola....TRACTION!

Sent using BrownCafe App
hi,
how do you know how much it weighed do they have scales in your yard.

MaceFremonti

One of the weigh stations on my run has an LED screen right at your driver's side window that tells you...that day was actually a record for me - 69877 lbs! Most of the time a single screw/set combo is around 55k...

Sent using BrownCafe App

A

anonymous6

Nope.

you used every trick in the book and found one that worked. good for you. do you have a trac control in your truck?

Sent using BrownCafe App

MaceFremonti

New Mack Pinnacle single screw....it has traction control but you really need to be lighting them up for it to kick in....

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

hi,
how do you know how much it weighed do they have scales in your yard.
One of the weigh stations on my run has an LED screen right at your driver's side window that tells you...that day was actually a record for me - 69877 lbs! Most of the time a single screw/set combo is around 55k...

Sent using BrownCafe App
Hahahaha

Weighing our trailers. How cute.

You keep putting stuff in till it's full. That's how it's weighed.