Tips for Loading?

Halloween

Hey guys, I just finished training as a loader for trailers. : ) I start this Sunday on the floor. If anyone has tips for building walls, I would appreciate it!

Also I'm only 5'5 and even using the step stool, I have to overextend to put boxes at the top. Any tips for building to the top tightly when you're short? lmao

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Hey guys, I just finished training as a loader for trailers. : ) I start this Sunday on the floor. If anyone has tips for building walls, I would appreciate it!

Also I'm only 5'5 and even using the step stool, I have to overextend to put boxes at the top. Any tips for building to the top tightly when you're short? lmao

Save the light boxes for the top.

Indecisi0n

Are you male or female?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Thanks. : ) It's confusing because they told me not to put boxes down and to just place them on the wall as they come... if I do that, I feel like that could lead to some :censored2:ty workmanship but idk.

You sort of have to load them as they come, just to keep up. But, you shouldn't load over 70s above waist high, and nothing over 40 above shoulder hieght. You'll figure out a system as you go. Often times I would start the next wall before the first one was finished, then a third if a lot of overweights were coming down. Lighter bags make great filler for the top, because it is really hard to stack on top of bags.

Halloween

You sort of have to load them as they come, just to keep up. But, you shouldn't load over 70s above waist high, and nothing over 40 above shoulder hieght. You'll figure out a system as you go. Often times I would start the next wall before the first one was finished, then a third if a lot of overweights were coming down. Lighter bags make great filler for the top, because it is really hard to stack on top of bags.

Thank you so much! That information helps a lot and I'll be sure to implement these strats to help me get started.

I'm just about your size so I might have some useful tips. Ymmv of course. Some of the things that were slowing me down a lot were double handling packages and trying to maneuver around egress and my load stand.

Once you get a package in the wall, thats where it stays unless its gonna fall or break. Use the other packages you load after to fix the situation if needed but dont waste a lot of time resituating packages cause you think they'll fit better somewhere else.

If youre in a trailer with an extendo you can put the huge packages that you absolutely cant get in your wall for whatever reason underneath and then use it as your cornerstone for your next wall so you wont trip over it. If you dont have an extendo, I just try to situate it so its taking up the least amount of floor space and then use it to start my new wall.

Dont be afraid to start a new wall before the one youre working on is done. I find using the end of the rollers as a fulcrum for the larger packages makes it easier to get them up on the top of the wall once it gets high enough. Hope this was helpful. And dont worry, we have guys shorter than you that manage just fine.

Halloween

Best of luck, get into smalls sort as soon as possible, if available, or clerk.

I believe those are seniority-based positions at my location. I'll definitely ask about it after my probation period ends, especially if I'm having trouble keeping up. They don't tend to put just females in those roles, so I might have to wait a while for a chance.

I'm just about your size so I might have some useful tips. Ymmv of course. Some of the things that were slowing me down a lot were double handling packages and trying to maneuver around egress and my load stand.

Once you get a package in the wall, thats where it stays unless its gonna fall or break. Use the other packages you load after to fix the situation if needed but dont waste a lot of time resituating packages cause you think they'll fit better somewhere else.

If youre in a trailer with an extendo you can put the huge packages that you absolutely cant get in your wall for whatever reason underneath and then use it as your cornerstone for your next wall so you wont trip over it. If you dont have an extendo, I just try to situate it so its taking up the least amount of floor space and then use it to start my new wall.

Dont be afraid to start a new wall before the one youre working on is done. I find using the end of the rollers as a fulcrum for the larger packages makes it easier to get them up on the top of the wall once it gets high enough. Hope this was helpful. And dont worry, we have guys shorter than you that manage just fine.

Sweet! I appreciate the time it took for you to type all of this. I'll do my best to just place packages in the wall as I go and leave them, even though that is one of my biggest faults at the moment. I guess it's not the end of the world if it isn't perfect. My trailer thankfully will have an extendo, so I will definitely put heavy packages and the smalls bags under that for future placement. I am kinda afraid to start new walls before one is finished, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of everything eventually... if not, a sup will yell at me and I'll improve lol.

Good to know people shorter than me survive in this position. That motivates me a lot. Thanks so much!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I believe those are seniority-based positions at my location. I'll definitely ask about it after my probation period ends, especially if I'm having trouble keeping up. They don't tend to put just females in those roles, so I might have to wait a while for a chance.

Understood, just a general piece of advice.