Tips for new drivers!

I'm new to UPS, was hired off the street through a reference. So far I'm still in my 30 days. I've completed 5 full days so far. Thursday was my first full day by myself. Supervisor rode with me first 3 days. Been by myself for 2 days. First day out I made like 3 mistakes and didn't even know how or why I just know I did lol but Friday I did no mistakes and was done about an hour early but I also only had 90 stops.

Anyway I struggle with learning residential neighborhoods. Any advice on learning them since I will be a swing driver once my 30 days are up. I've been told use a map and I plan on it but just any little tips to help cut out on using a map to save time and efficiency.

W

What The Hawk?

I think it just comes with the experience. Use the route map on the computers at work (my center does that). Only tips I've received are drive slow, run fast in your first 30 days. At least you are in your 30 days. They haven't told me when training is yet. I passed my road test 2 weeks ago.

I'm new to UPS, was hired off the street through a reference. So far I'm still in my 30 days. I've completed 5 full days so far. Thursday was my first full day by myself. Supervisor rode with me first 3 days. Been by myself for 2 days. First day out I made like 3 mistakes and didn't even know how or why I just know I did lol but Friday I did no mistakes and was done about an hour early but I also only had 90 stops.

Anyway I struggle with learning residential neighborhoods. Any advice on learning them since I will be a swing driver once my 30 days are up. I've been told use a map and I plan on it but just any little tips to help cut out on using a map to save time and efficiency.
Go drive the route this weekend and look at the streets and number breaks.

Box Ox

Get to know drivers in the loop(s) you typically run in. Print route manifests and ask them to mark the start and stop points of commercial areas/neighborhoods and to suggest an order to run it all in. They’ll be eager to work with you so you can fill in on days they’d like to take off in the future.

Staydryitsraining

Easiest way to learn a route if they won't let you sit in for 2 days before you take it over is write down where you start and where you finish and drive it in your car a couple times. Don't try and remember numbers try and remember one thing from each street you can, that way once you get to that street you will have a reference to where you are and it should all come together easier.

DRporch

yeah after you learn the methods youll learn a route in 2-3days to where you rarely have to look at a map its just alot to take in when you first start. take youre time follow the methods provided

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Always pre-trip! Most split drivers are too lazy to write up problems.
proxy-1.gif