Tips for preloader at the end of belt...

I just got yelled at by a supervisor who's treating me like after a week long training session I :censored2:ed up the end of the belt as opposed to it being just busy. It made me wonder if any of you preloaders experienced working at the end of the belt have any tips or tricks that you use to make life easier for you or the preloader working across from you?

Nah
Yeah but it would make me feel better if I knew about several things that I could do to make the end of belt cleaner....but deliberately chose not to do because I'm that petty.

I don't know what your exact situation is like, but if I know UPS well enough by now, and considering the time of year it is, I'd say odds are there really isn't anything you can do better. You're likely getting shafted, just like my local sort is here.

Do more with less. The UPS way. Just do what you're told then go home and stop thinking about it.

To be honest, most of my concern about this is for the old timer who works across from me. I've been preloading for a year while he's been working for a decade. Good worker. Strong as hell. Whenever he has nothing going on in his section he'll come over and help me out and I've tried to return the favor as best I can. When I asked him if there was anything I could be doing better he seemed a little on the...simple side? Basically I want to be a better co-worker because he's been pretty good to me and I wanted to give that back somehow but I don't know enough about working the end of the belt to do that. Since I've learned more about the job on here than from anyone at work I was hoping you guys could point a few tips my way.

rod

Retired 22 years
The last sorters on the end of the belt have the best seats in the house for watching all the packages stack up and get crushed--finally going off the end into a pile of broken boxes. Work at a safe pace and enjoy the show. If you always get your stuff cleaned up they will just speed the belt up the next time. Eventually you will learn not to care about cardboard. It happens to everyone.

watdaflock?

I just got yelled at by a supervisor who's treating me like after a week long training session I :censored2:ed up the end of the belt as opposed to it being just busy. It made me wonder if any of you preloaders experienced working at the end of the belt have any tips or tricks that you use to make life easier for you or the preloader working across from you?
First off, file a grievance on that particular sup for harassment. Second, the end of the belt is the best place to be. Need a lot more info. How many cars are in front of you? How often do the people in front of you miss stuff, and send their packages down to you? How many cars do you load?

watdaflock?

The last sorters on the end of the belt have the best seats in the house for watching all the packages stack up and get crushed--finally going off the end into a pile of broken boxes. Work at a safe pace and enjoy the show. If you always get your stuff cleaned up they will just speed the belt up the next time. Eventually you will learn not to care about cardboard. It happens to everyone.
Hey goof, the OP is a preloader not a sorter.

Hope this helps.

watdaflock?

To be honest, most of my concern about this is for the old timer who works across from me. I've been preloading for a year while he's been working for a decade. Good worker. Strong as hell. Whenever he has nothing going on in his section he'll come over and help me out and I've tried to return the favor as best I can. When I asked him if there was anything I could be doing better he seemed a little on the...simple side? Basically I want to be a better co-worker because he's been pretty good to me and I wanted to give that back somehow but I don't know enough about working the end of the belt to do that. Since I've learned more about the job on here than from anyone at work I was hoping you guys could point a few tips my way.
Did ya ever play Tetris as a kid? Preloading is simple. Do you get bulk sheets in the AM?

Yeah but it would make me feel better if I knew about several things that I could do to make the end of belt cleaner....but deliberately chose not to do because I'm that petty.

When you say, "cleaner" what do you mean?

Last edited:

SLCPreloader

Does your belt actually stop and that's the end or is does it keep going where it can be recerted and they put up stop bars to make sure packages dont go back? I had a stop bar and the belt just continued and went back to the unload area to get scanned again. What I did was put the packages that were piling up over the stop bar and have them recerted again so I would have time to get the belt clean before those boxes came back. I did this only if this was at the beginning or middle of the shift. They don't accept packages back at the end of the sort to avoid LIB packages so I didn't put them over the stop bar if it was up at the end of the shift. If you are just at the end of the belt and it just stops and doesnt continue, I would recommend either stacking in your truck especially with smalls or just put your packages underneath the belt.

First off, file a grievance on that particular sup for harassment. Second, the end of the belt is the best place to be. Need a lot more info. How many cars are in front of you? How often do the people in front of you miss stuff, and send their packages down to you? How many cars do you load?
Me and the two preloaders after me each have five cars. The splitter has four cars. The splitter is really good, the preloader after him is okay, but the one after that guy is new. I try to push as much of the stuff that he misses back to him as I can unless I'm too busy. As far as how much they miss? Depends on the day. Tuesday was a :censored2: show. Had so many packages sent back down that I lost direct access to three of my cars. Had to walk off the belt and climb into the trucks from the front. Pushed three full carts back to the uptake belt but stopped after I started seeing the same stuff coming down that I'd just sent. Wednesday and Thursday were better. I just had to slide a couple big bulks that I didn't want to have to lift into the cart back up the belt. The guy who splits on other side of the belt is being trained. He misses a lot of stuff.

Does your belt actually stop and that's the end or is does it keep going where it can be recerted and they put up stop bars to make sure packages dont go back? I had a stop bar and the belt just continued and went back to the unload area to get scanned again. What I did was put the packages that were piling up over the stop bar and have them recerted again so I would have time to get the belt clean before those boxes came back. I did this only if this was at the beginning or middle of the shift. They don't accept packages back at the end of the sort to avoid LIB packages so I didn't put them over the stop bar if it was up at the end of the shift. If you are just at the end of the belt and it just stops and doesnt continue, I would recommend either stacking in your truck especially with smalls or just put your packages underneath the belt.
The belt just stops. My trucks are okay. The sup was complaining because there was a bunch of stuff on the rollers at the end of the belt that seemed to be mostly stuff from upbelt or for the guy across from me. Turns out that some of my stuff was buried in the pile but I didn't have time to dig through the whole thing plus I'd filled the cart on my side and someone had just taken it. That's when the sup showed up and started complaining. I told her I didn't have a cart on my side and they said that I should have coordinated with the guy across from me to put the stuff on his cart. I got annoyed. "I've worked here for a year. How am I going to start bossing around a dude whose been here for over a decade?"

SLCPreloader

The belt just stops. My trucks are okay. The sup was complaining because there was a bunch of stuff on the rollers at the end of the belt that seemed to be mostly stuff from upbelt or for the guy across from me. Turns out that some of my stuff was buried in the pile but I didn't have time to dig through the whole thing plus I'd filled the cart on my side and someone had just taken it. That's when the sup showed up and started complaining. I told her I didn't have a cart on my side and they said that I should have coordinated with the guy across from me to put the stuff on his cart. I got annoyed. "I've worked here for a year. How am I going to start bossing around a dude whose been here for over a decade?"
Yeah hard to tell somebody with way more seniority what to do. I would just form it as a suggestion like "next time can we do this?" or "hey, I think we should do something like this... what do you think". As for sups, it's hard to argue with them and sometimes even if you give your reasoning as to why you are doing what you're doing isn't enough to not have them on your ass. Also as long as you are doing your best who cares what your sup thinks. What is more important at least to me is what my drivers thought of my loading because at the end of the day they are the ones affected. The sups are just trying to get :censored2: done as fast as they can so they look good to upper management. Listen to your sups since you should and respect them but don't take it personally and with a grain of salt.

rod

Retired 22 years
Hey goof, the OP is a preloader not a sorter.

Hope this helps.
The preloaders at my old center were also sorters. About the time they were suppose to wrap up their trucks some idiot would start making all kinds of stupid cuts that required the preloaders to become sorters. Goof out :censored2:.......

Hope this helps

watdaflock?

The preloaders at my old center were also sorters. About the time they were suppose to wrap up their trucks some idiot would start making all kinds of stupid cuts that required the preloaders to become sorters. Goof out :censored2:.......

Hope this helps
Do you ever contribute to a thread, or only derail them with stupid stories about yourself?

rod

Retired 22 years
Do you ever contribute to a thread, or only derail them with stupid stories about yourself?
upload_2020-1-10_13-23-15.png