Tips for starting out as a driver

SLW

I'd like this to be less of thread about the day-to-day, and more about creating a good career at UPS (or somewhere else, if need be).

I know this job has a reputation for basically taking over every waking hour, so what is the best way to make sure you get some semblance of work-life balance? Is there a path you took that you'd recommend, or a different choice you would've made now?

For reference, I'm an off-the-street hire seasonal driver in my mid-30s with a degree (but a checkered past). I've read a bit about 9.5 lists and PT air drivers, but I don't really know what these are. Working my way through the contract now, but also not even sure if I should be worrying about that before I get my 30 days in.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I'd like this to be less of thread about the day-to-day, and more about creating a good career at UPS (or somewhere else, if need be).

I know this job has a reputation for basically taking over every waking hour, so what is the best way to make sure you get some semblance of work-life balance? Is there a path you took that you'd recommend, or a different choice you would've made now?

For reference, I'm an off-the-street hire seasonal driver in my mid-30s with a degree (but a checkered past). I've read a bit about 9.5 lists and PT air drivers, but I don't really know what these are. Working my way through the contract now, but also not even sure if I should be worrying about that before I get my 30 days in.
For all new hires, go here (on topic)

Whither

Scofflaw

Wait: are you a seasonal driver or are you getting a shot at starting a qualifying packet for 22.4 or RPCD (regular package car driver)?

SLW

Sorry, my bad. Next question will go there.

Orange 5 7

What does that mean? I'm new!

Wait: are you a seasonal driver or are you getting a shot at starting a qualifying packet for 22.4 or RPCD (regular package car driver)?

Seasonal, as far as I know. They said it's increasingly likely they will be offering a lot of FT positions in January, but I'm not counting on it.

If you tell us what the checkered past is we can better advise you on which career path will best suit you here at UPS.

I have a few felony convictions. No theft, sex, violence, or drugs, but still very much the opposite of "pretty good."

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Sorry, my bad. Next question will go there.

What does that mean? I'm new!

Seasonal, as far as I know. They said it's increasingly likely they will be offering a lot of FT positions in January, but I'm not counting on it.

I have a few felony convictions. No theft, sex, violence, or drugs, but still very much the opposite of "pretty good."

So drunk driving, financial crimes, property crimes, or war crimes. NICE!!!
Forget driving for a career, you might be too much of a wildcard for that. Stick around though because there will be plenty of management opportunities where your previous "skillsets" might come in handy. And no, I'm not kidding.

Welcome to Brown Cafe anyways! Hang around for a bit, I think you will like it here.

So drunk driving, financial crimes, property crimes, or war crimes. NICE!!!
Forget driving for a career, you might be too much of a wildcard for that. Stick around though because there will be plenty of management opportunities where your previous "skillsets" might come in handy. And no, I'm not kidding.

Welcome to Brown Cafe anyways! Hand around for a bit, I think you will like it here.
Hand around what??

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Checkered past? No problem, just go work here:

images