Tired of being sent home

YellowSox

That's one of the downfalls of unions, they protect lazy asses and it has nothing to do with how well you perform, it's your number on the list but the average time frame is approximately 10-13 years to get FT in our state at least
Lazy? Is there any driver out there that is really THAT lazy, if you think about it??

salt

lol no off the street hires most the people in my NW region hub that are PTers don't even want to drive they say its to hard!!! so we would be kinda screwed without off the street, i am not off the street btw. i think there is more to the OP story than he is letting on and honestly if you have been with the company for 15 years and aren't driving yet it might have to do with the fact your not doing things right even though you think you are...

FatherBrown

I only did 2.5 years part time before going FT driving. Nw region, but yeah many of my coworkers attempted driving around the same time I did and almost every one of them dq'd themselves because it was too hard.

UPSGUY72

Here's my story. Started in late August. Was hired off the street. Didn't work enough days to make book before the freeze. Worked my butt off all peak. Laid me off from driving in January but gave me the option to stay on as a pre-loader. Been working the preload and delivering air on Saturdays. I show up every single day and give it my best. I worked 2 days this week...a total of 8 hours. I understand that this is how the game is played and we all have to pay our dues. Just looking for some thoughts and feedback here. Do I have a legitimate shot to be a full-time driver this year?
I figured if I can make seniority as a preloader then they have to give me another shot, right?

If you where hired off the street as a driver your a FT driver not a PT employee remember that and make sure they know that you know that. Technically you don't need to make your 30 days your where hired on as a permanent FT driver if you didn't produce they would have to let you go if they moved you to a permanent PT position you wouldn't have any rights to FT driver job until you won a bid and that could be years down the road.

Since you low man on the list after the 1st of the year they do tend to lay low seniority drivers off due to volume drop and give them the opportunity to work a PT shift. Stop letting them walk all over you. You need to talk to your HR person, shop steward and BA and not necessarily in that order and see where you stand. But your a FT driver on lay off not a PT employee you should be back driving FT in a month or two if not sooner.

clean hairy

Once they quit sending OP home and they get to work everyday, they will be on here complaining about having to work so many hours, and how to get them decreased!

I live for Brown

lol no off the street hires most the people in my NW region hub that are PTers don't even want to drive they say its to hard!!! so we would be kinda screwed without off the street, i am not off the street btw. i think there is more to the OP story than he is letting on and honestly if you have been with the company for 15 years and aren't driving yet it might have to do with the fact your not doing things right even though you think you are...
I am one of the best, every supervisor is dying to keep me on but I have been driving Pt one year then FT 2 years I learn routes and deliver almost double many of mine. A lot go slow and milk the clock. Out of my driving class of 12, im the only one left driving still, maybe it's the area or what but I see so much stupidity in quite a few older drivers that need to retire

T

Turdferguson

I am one of the best, every supervisor is dying to keep me on but I have been driving Pt one year then FT 2 years I learn routes and deliver almost double many of mine. A lot go slow and milk the clock. Out of my driving class of 12, im the only one left driving still, maybe it's the area or what but I see so much stupidity in quite a few older drivers that need to retire
You do twice the work for a fraction of the pay and yet you "think" the older drivers are stupid?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Greatest thing since sliced bread.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
the fast you work...the more work you get. I don't get paid by the package.

rickyb

Here's my story. Started in late August. Was hired off the street. Didn't work enough days to make book before the freeze. Worked my butt off all peak. Laid me off from driving in January but gave me the option to stay on as a pre-loader. Been working the preload and delivering air on Saturdays. I show up every single day and give it my best. I worked 2 days this week...a total of 8 hours. I understand that this is how the game is played and we all have to pay our dues. Just looking for some thoughts and feedback here. Do I have a legitimate shot to be a full-time driver this year?
I figured if I can make seniority as a preloader then they have to give me another shot, right?

if i were u i would learn a trade and work in the oil fields or go 2 school but be careful what you choose and how muchd debt u rack up. where im from there are all kinds of 2 weeks in / out fly in / fly out with camp at hte oil fields. guys there probably save an extra $2000-4000 a month maybe more.

if there are no opportunites where u live, its time to move.

i found ups tedious with the constant address hunting. and doesnt ups driver work long hours??? its not worth it man, and believe me this place is gonna keep getting worse over the years.