Tired of the Comparison between Package and Freight!

Personally I am getting tired of the comparison between the package and freight side of UPS. As a driver I perform the same job whether I work for package or freight and should be paid the same. Quite frankly it is an insult to my profession to earn less than my respected package drivers. If I were a cardiologist I would be expected to earn a certain level of income for my experience. It seems as though the package side is treated like cardiologists and the freight side like general practitioners? Give me a contract I can vote for, I'm begging you please!

And please, please don't tell me how much more the package side makes than freight to support your argument. Wages are about experience. If you want to nickel and dime employees do it at the senior management level where the income or lack thereof is determined by the decisions being made at that level. Thanks for your time.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Package drivers cover smaller areas and deliver more pieces per hour.
Package drivers deliver 150# packages which sales should have moved to Cartage or Freight delivery with liftgates or trucks backed to a dock.
Packaged drivers follow methods, live and breathe DOK, S&V, can recite 8 keys to lift and lower, five keys to slips and falls....

A freight driver could not handle the demands of delivering as many stops as Package using a Diad without a paper manifest.

A NDA envelope generates more revenue than a skid of ground freight.

Johney

Wages at UPS are not about experience it's about seniority. You have a lot to learn about this company.

Just to clarify Johney, I'm a road driver so I'm not talking about package car drivers at package or city drivers at freight. My comparison only deals with road drivers at both business units. I beg to differ with regard to your interpretation. Yes, seniority matters, but it shouldn't determine compensation with regard to road drivers.

ronroper

Package drivers cover smaller areas and deliver more pieces per hour.
Package drivers deliver 150# packages which sales should have moved to Cartage or Freight delivery with liftgates or trucks backed to a dock.
Packaged drivers follow methods, live and breathe DOK, S&V, can recite 8 keys to lift and lower, five keys to slips and falls....

A freight driver could not handle the demands of delivering as many stops as Package using a Diad without a paper manifest.

A NDA envelope generates more revenue than a skid of ground freight.

Not trying to be disrespectful but UPS Freight Drivers also go thru the bs ups safety training, we use diads, we are required to have doubles/triples, tanker and hazmat on our license, we make residential deliveries with tractor trailers using 48 foot trailers, we have no weight limitations, so sure we can carry your refridgerator into your kitchen without any helper, we deal with management their goals and expectations.
Im sure there are differences on both sides but it's not gravy on this side either.
The thing I don't understand is why do ups freight drivers NOT have a big S on the chest of their uniforms? because what is expected of us, only superman can do.

And this conversation is what I am driving at. All this does is create havoc between package and freight drivers. We trade on the stock market as one company. The public views us as one company. That all ends when it comes to wages between business units. I'm proud to work for UPS, but finish the assimilation already!

Johney

Just to clarify Johney, I'm a road driver so I'm not talking about package car drivers at package or city drivers at freight. My comparison only deals with road drivers at both business units. I beg to differ with regard to your interpretation. Yes, seniority matters, but it shouldn't determine compensation with regard to road drivers.
I understand what you are trying to say,but if you think that because you are a better driver than the next guy and should be paid more than you need to work for a non-union company. We as full-time package car drivers are all paid the same. It is the same here there are guys who are complete slugs and guys who work hard.Should the guys who work hard get paid more? Sure,but it's not going to happen at a union company period.

Skeeters

As far as line drivers go Parcel has got to put in some very long hours to equal our mileage pay if you have a decent line run 5 days a week... Do the math??? If you are a line driver with a good line run around 500 miles a day look at your vacation pay average. Tell who is making more an hour. Worry about Contractors, Healthcare, and Retirement...

I am definitely not saying that I am a better driver than anyone else. And I do recognize that there are some that work hard and some that don't. Moreover, I do recognize that we are unionized. None of that matters to me. All I am trying to say is that road drivers ought to be paid the same given the exact same nature of the job regardless of what business unit you work for at UPS. I know, I know, it most likely isn't going to happen.

As far as explaining the Feeder rate, I can only go by what the contract says. I'm not sure who that question was directed towards?

Johney

I am definitely not saying that I am a better driver than anyone else. And I do recognize that there are some that work hard and some that don't. Moreover, I do recognize that we are unionized. None of that matters to me. All I am trying to say is that road drivers ought to be paid the same given the exact same nature of the job regardless of what business unit you work for at UPS. I know, I know, it most likely isn't going to happen.

As far as explaining the Feeder rate, I can only go by what the contract says. I'm not sure who that question was directed towards?
I strongly believe you should make comparable to our feeder drivers, but like you said that probably isn't going to happen. Maybe you all should push for a better contract.

I am also getting tired of the comparison between package and Freight because personally there is no comparison. I'm going to be a long winded but bear with me. you say you're getting tired of hearing it's because they make more money,that's because you don't want to hear the truth. if UPS paid us what they get across the board we would never show a profit. a company doesn't by another company just lose money, besides another driver already pointed out depending on your run you already make more. if I take my miles I Drive in a week and divide that by the hours I put in I'm making more than there road drivers. when we were still over night and trying to get the Union in we looked at Central States contract and said that's what we want, we didn't look at UPS and say we want that contract. because at that time we all knew we were LTL not package two different company's so why would you do that now just because you UPS owns us? when Union Pacific bought overnight did we ask for the same things that they had? No, two different company's. if you remember when you UPS bought us they said they're going to make us the highest paying in our profession and the best company to work for. as far as the best company to work for that's up to each individual to say but after the first contract we are the highest paying in our profession. (LTL) no its not because YRC has concessions even without those concessions we would still be the highest paying in our field. very long winded I know all I'm trying to say is you can't keep comparing UPS Freight to UPS because as long as you do that you will never be happy with the contract were offered. like another person stated earlier we have other things to worry about in this contract like the contractors and this new made up division, Line Haul division. I'm sorry for all the mistakes in this post lol. I'm trying to use this tap to speak crap on the tablet, I thought this technology were supposed to make things easier. lol MAN

balland chain

I am also getting tired of the comparison between package and Freight because personally there is no comparison. I'm going to be a long winded but bear with me. you say you're getting tired of hearing it's because they make more money,that's because you don't want to hear the truth. if UPS paid us what they get across the board we would never show a profit. a company doesn't by another company just lose money, besides another driver already pointed out depending on your run you already make more. if I take my miles I Drive in a week and divide that by the hours I put in I'm making more than there road drivers. when we were still over night and trying to get the Union in we looked at Central States contract and said that's what we want, we didn't look at UPS and say we want that contract. because at that time we all knew we were LTL not package two different company's so why would you do that now just because you UPS owns us? when Union Pacific bought overnight did we ask for the same things that they had? No, two different company's. if you remember when you UPS bought us they said they're going to make us the highest paying in our profession and the best company to work for. as far as the best company to work for that's up to each individual to say but after the first contract we are the highest paying in our profession. (LTL) no its not because YRC has concessions even without those concessions we would still be the highest paying in our field. very long winded I know all I'm trying to say is you can't keep comparing UPS Freight to UPS because as long as you do that you will never be happy with the contract were offered. like another person stated earlier we have other things to worry about in this contract like the contractors and this new made up division, Line Haul division. I'm sorry for all the mistakes in this post lol. I'm trying to use this tap to speak crap on the tablet, I thought this technology were supposed to make things easier. lol MAN
When UPS stated that you were going to be the highest paid professionals in the industry, that should have warned you... Most of us that have been at UPS for a decent amount of time, know NEVER BELIEVE A THING UPS SAYS.. The saying "doing one thing and saying another" is the norm at UPS...

Trust me, we also already no that. Lol BUT we are the highest paid in our profession. (LTL) Name another LTL company that is making more. The first contract gave us raises to catch us up AND put us ahead of the rest. Trust me I'm not saying beleave everything ups tells us, I think we all no better then that.