To all Sorters / Pick-offs.. What does your flow look like everyday?

sms4001

Hey guys just wanted to see if you guys were getting utterly destroyed like we are every night... I understand they are pushing less hours / more work but this is ridiculous! This is what our flow has looked like for the past 2 months. Sorry for the bad pic.. its my cell phone.. but you should be able to get the idea (stacked way high and belt wide all night)

Image026.jpg

So naturally we are going to be shutting off the belt more and more but they don't seem to grasp that concept. Then, to top that off, just yesterday they had the nerve to make me load while a lower seniority employee sorted because it was "single handedly my fault" our flow has been like that because I'm going to "slow." I have talked to the union guy but who knows how long that will take to get resolved. Anyone else feel my pain / have any advice? I have tried to tell them its simply too much flow but they are either idiots or just don't want to admit any wrong doing. :biting::biting:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Talk to your safety people as well. I know that they are mostly ineffective but if you don't voice your concerns then you have nothing to fall back on. Put it in writing. File on it. Call the 800#. Document, document, document.
Names, dates, times, etc. Don't forget OSHA!

Then if someone gets injured the responsibility will be dumped right back on mgt. Let your steward know as well.

sms4001

yeah apparently OSHA is coming sometime in the next couple of weeks.. It will be interesting to see what the flow is like when they are here... I wonder if i could try and talk to one of them when (if) they come to our sort.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
yeah apparently OSHA is coming sometime in the next couple of weeks.. It will be interesting to see what the flow is like when they are here... I wonder if i could try and talk to one of them when (if) they come to our sort.

I'm sure you could. Be sure to ask if they have any employment opportunities while you are at it.

brownIEman

work as fast as you safely can. You can do no more, and they can ask no more. They will ask more, but that is just to make sure you actually are working truely as fast as you safely can. There are many, many employees who do not otherwise.

The drop in volume will mean more work for all of us. Yes, it sounds paradoxical, but to maintain revenue, if volume drops a certain percentage, hours must drop MORE than that percentage to maintain cost to income. The relationship between cost and hours is not exactly one to one.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
work as fast as you safely can. You can do no more, and they can ask no more. They will ask more, but that is just to make sure you actually are working truely as fast as you safely can. There are many, many employees who do not otherwise.

The drop in volume will mean more work for all of us. Yes, it sounds paradoxical, but to maintain revenue, if volume drops a certain percentage, hours must drop MORE than that percentage to maintain cost to income. The relationship between cost and hours is not exactly one to one.

If it's not in the contract, then it's not worth exploring.

Work a fair days work as safely as you can.

Any problems management has, smile and say "I am working a fair days work as safely and accurately as contractually responsible."

killamjl

So naturally we are going to be shutting off the belt more and more but they don't seem to grasp that concept. Then, to top that off, just yesterday they had the nerve to make me load while a lower seniority employee sorted because it was "single handedly my fault" our flow has been like that because I'm going to "slow." I have talked to the union guy but who knows how long that will take to get resolved. Anyone else feel my pain / have any advice? I have tried to tell them its simply too much flow but they are either idiots or just don't want to admit any wrong doing. :biting::biting:

This is exactly what happened to me yesterday. I just got moved to the back to load, from my current spot pulling off the belt. I HAVE NO CLUE WTH IS GOING ON!!.

I was told I cant keep up with the pace and that the back is getting slammed. WTH ive been doing the same job for 5 years but all of a sudden im to slow!!! I asked them if there is a push for more productivity but they just shrug me off and told me im going to slow, and asked if im having any trouble at home or with my health...sorry but that one really got to me.

Anyway from my POV the only reasons i can see there riding me so hard is because 1. Unloaders arent required to tote smalls since the drivers do it(which sends hundreds of small packages to the back) 2. There is some unspoken push for more productivity. 3. The new guys they hired last week are still in the GOGO work myself into a coma mode so they can get thru there 3months.

Anyway ive put up with alot of BS from UPS, but suddenly getting told im not working hard enough after 5 years of consistant work is pushing me very close to the edge. I can usually shrug off the UPS numbers game, and I dont really mind working in the back, I just want to know whats going on.

-rant off

Last edited:

jennie

Hey guys just wanted to see if you guys were getting utterly destroyed like we are every night... I understand they are pushing less hours / more work but this is ridiculous! This is what our flow has looked like for the past 2 months. Sorry for the bad pic.. its my cell phone.. but you should be able to get the idea (stacked way high and belt wide all night)

Image026.jpg

I wish I could get a pic on here of our flow. Anyway, heavy too. Just smile and say you will get to it. I work preload and its pressure to get it on the trucks by 8:15, I am pushing it when I say 8:30! I have been yelled at too, but I said "I work better and faster when talked to like a human" lol!

I also learned that they have to blame someone, so maybe your that guy for the week, and it all gets done everyday, right. So just work like you are, and don't KILL yourself doing it.:peaceful:

evilleace

I have been pushed way harder than usual these last two weeks we also have 3 newguys one hired yesterday the others last month that are worried about keeping up their "numbers" I tried to tell them not to worry about it but they work themselves to death today I watched a ft sup unload a whole trailer while the unloader watched because the sup said he was training I was lived but there was nothing I could do no steward in the building yet and he wasn't having the other guy do anything so he was right on the edge I was so mad I couldn't talk to anyone for 30 minutes afterwards. This push for numbers is getting nuts.

Another thing they want it done by 8:15 not 8:30 anymore and they want everyone ready to clock out at 3 1/2. Its crazy just wait until July when these guys get sick then maybe we will slow down.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Our belts at night are off probably 30% of the time recently.

Here is what I used to do -

If a sup starts to talk to you - hold up one finger, (the "hold on a second" index finger) then walk yourself & the sup to a quiet area. Make him repeat what he said. Multiple times. When you respond, respond vvveeerrryyyyy ssssllllooowwwwlllyyyyy. If his head does not explode, then when he is done, tell him you have to use the restroom. Bring a book.

You will never get grief again, I promise you.

LVD*4*LIFE

This is what I always say. Keep in mind I have been a permanent pick-off for 11 Plus years now. The red button is twice as big as the green one for a reason!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have been pushed way harder than usual these last two weeks we also have 3 newguys one hired yesterday the others last month that are worried about keeping up their "numbers" I tried to tell them not to worry about it but they work themselves to death today I watched a ft sup unload a whole trailer while the unloader watched because the sup said he was training I was lived but there was nothing I could do no steward in the building yet and he wasn't having the other guy do anything so he was right on the edge I was so mad I couldn't talk to anyone for 30 minutes afterwards. This push for numbers is getting nuts.

Another thing they want it done by 8:15 not 8:30 anymore and they want everyone ready to clock out at 3 1/2. Its crazy just wait until July when these guys get sick then maybe we will slow down.

That's called an extended demo. There's no grievances for it if a Teamster is being paid.

evilleace

An extended demo what a bunch of BS the guy didn't need help was one of the fastest unloaders today, and it was like the sup was gloating about being able to do it telling me once he started that he was gonna kick my a** makes me mad just thinking about it, honestly I don't even think sups should be allowed to train after the first week.

BURMDPsupe

With flow like that, I want to see what the service numbers are for your belt. I'm not doubting your abilities, but with that kind of flow, picking it clean is tough to do.

Are you the weak side pick-off and how many destinations are on your belt?

M-

UnconTROLLed

perfection
An extended demo what a bunch of BS the guy didn't need help was one of the fastest unloaders today, and it was like the sup was gloating about being able to do it telling me once he started that he was gonna kick my a** makes me mad just thinking about it, honestly I don't even think sups should be allowed to train after the first week.

shut off the belt if hes kicking your ass. keep shutting him off. Mgmt will get the idea.

kingOFchester

Flow has been lite the past week on my belt. Infact, today was the first day I went 3.8 without having to shut it off. But, it was heavier then the norm the past few months. Well volume lower, but the belt is being overworked most of the day so they can send people home early. Get slammed for the first part, then it goes to a trickle as I watch the guys go home from the back. Then it is a trickle until all the air gets to the building.

brownIEman

If it's not in the contract, then it's not worth exploring.

Work a fair days work as safely as you can.

Any problems management has, smile and say "I am working a fair days work as safely and accurately as contractually responsible."

of course. But working as fast as you safely can IS in the contract. working as fast as you safely can is synonymous with "a fair days work". IMHO.

brownIEman

What the heck are you mad about? The whole idea behind supervisors not doing bargaining unit work is so they do not take work, and really, pay, from a union member. If he has a union member right there with him being paid to watch, who the heck is he taking pay from?