To be a casual or not

fdxvet123

Looking for honest opinions from anyone in the know about becoming a casual in the Feeder position. I currently work for the competition and have tenure with benefits and vacation but I would love to finish my career with UPS. Right now may have opportunity to become a casual,question is,am I risking to much to take a chance? Is this the only way to get in Full time eventually?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Those answers are different building to building.
Some buildings are begging for drivers, others are just covering vacations.
You will have to ask these questions at your interview.

fdxvet123

I have done the interview alrdy..next step would be road test but he said wasn't sure if I would want to risk what I have now. I would risk it if I knew the end game was a ft position even though I'd be taking a paycut to start

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I have done the interview alrdy..next step would be road test but he said wasn't sure if I would want to risk what I have now. I would risk it if I knew the end game was a ft position even though I'd be taking a paycut to start
Seems like the interviewer was quite honest to you about your end game.

Box Ox

Also consider that if you were to go full time after some years, it could be under a different contract with less favorable terms than what you imagined you'd be getting when you were looking at it now, in 2016.

fdxvet123

He did say it could be a year before ft could be possible. Just looking to see from your experiences what anyone has seen how this works. Any other way to get into a ft position? Also said there was an expansion coming to the area

UPS4Life

Do you mind saying what state or city you are looking to work? Like others have said it varies and one area may be a bad idea where others might be worth while.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
No way. Only apply if there is a permanent full time posting. Going seasonal is just throwing away what you have. Just keep checking upsjobs.com

Dr.Brownz

Yeah don't be anything other driver than a FT driver at UPS. You will be jerked around, made promises that will be broken, and laid off at a whim.

DON"T DO IT STAY WHERE YOU ARE UNTIL A FT POSITION COMES OPEN

fdxvet123

Thanks for the input...I'm still really on the fence about it because I feel like I may be letting an opportunity go by with the aforementioned expansion going on...decisions decisions