To cut down on Double shifting, UPS asks people not work normal shift.

RealPerson

So,

My shift is worked at the Bare Bones of people. When we have vacations or optional days, we normally call in Double shifters.

Now, UPS is asking employees to not work their normal shift to work on my shift, and saying this is NOT extra work, and they do not need to call a double shifter.

I can see how the person not working their normal (other) shift is Not getting anything extra, BUT it is taking away from the people who use to double shift.

Also, this bring about why do we even have Transfers to Other shifts, if UPS can move you (If asked) to any shift they want.

fres431

No ups cannot move you to a different shift. Let's say you work preload and they short during the day shift your primary job is preload. Extra work is the day shift. I believe it says somewhere in contract that secondary work or alternative work cannot effect your primary work. Get your local union involved..my local would eat that up and either let double shifting happen or force ups to hire more for day shift

PT Car Washer

My building also has stopped all double shifting. None of our sorts are so fat on people to allow what you are suggesting. In fact the our day sort allows voluntary lay offs on Monday due to lack of volume but still not allowed to work pre load who are always short.

RealPerson

My hub shift is down to
Day 1 ... 7 People
Day 2-4 9 people
Day 5 ... 8 People

We had more but they keep cutting back and laying off. Some of the layoffs quit and some work the 5 to 9 or pre load shift now.

If we have even ONE optional day or Vacation we have to call in a Double shifter.

Couple weeks ago UPS said NO Over time and NO double shifting.
UPS Knew we were going to be One short due to a week of vacation.
They asked a NEW guy who had only been with UPS for 4 days to take his shift 5-9 Off and work the HUB (my shift).
UPS says this is OK since the person volunteered to take his shift Off, and this is NOT extra work it is Normal work, just someone is gone, HAHA...

They say since it is NOT giving the first guy (5-9) extra work, they can move people like that if they want and they volunteer..

(the week the new guy did work, the other one person that was forced to transfer did also work on our shift, which is fine.) But I still think this should of Been a Double shift thing and not a new person who can be twisted...

Also, No one will want to work our shift (hire more or transfer in) as they will always be laid off, when no vacations.

My hub shift is down to
Day 1 ... 7 People
Day 2-4 9 people
Day 5 ... 8 People

We had more but they keep cutting back and laying off. Some of the layoffs quit and some work the 5 to 9 or pre load shift now.

If we have even ONE optional day or Vacation we have to call in a Double shifter.

Couple weeks ago UPS said NO Over time and NO double shifting.
UPS Knew we were going to be One short due to a week of vacation.
They asked a NEW guy who had only been with UPS for 4 days to take his shift 5-9 Off and work the HUB (my shift).
UPS says this is OK since the person volunteered to take his shift Off, and this is NOT extra work it is Normal work, just someone is gone, HAHA...

They say since it is NOT giving the first guy (5-9) extra work, they can move people like that if they want and they volunteer..
Thats crap.

PT Car Washer

O Kay, so now you are saying a new guy been here 4 days was moved to a different sort. I believe that maybe alright since he isn't a seniority employee.

PT Car Washer

My question is short is.. The person that has only been with UPS, should not have even been offered to Move for a week, it should of been offered as a double shift????
Work as directed. Especially for new guys in their first 30 days. What you should be looking for is PT sups working to cover the prohibition on double shifting.

fres431

9 people in the preload? Jesus what kinda volume your hub do like 4000 pierces a day? If the newbie voluntarily changed shift to keep his probation days counting rather then being laid off he did the right thing

RealPerson

9 people in the preload? Jesus what kinda volume your hub do like 4000 pierces a day? If the newbie voluntarily changed shift to keep his probation days counting rather then being laid off he did the right thing

No, in the HUB. yes about 4K packages.
I don't believe the new guy would of been laid off, but I didn't ask that. I know they Did ASK him to take off and cover a week on the HUB shift. I guess if he was under his 30 days, they can do whatever with him...

PT Car Washer

Don't hate the new guy who is just trying to work a PT job and a PT pay check. He was maybe happy to switch sorts rather then be laid off. Your focus should be on NO PT sups working.