To grieve or not to grieve, that is the question?

Guaranteed 8

Brothers first!
As of now we only have about 75% of full timers in the guarantee. Should a Steward file a grievance for the other 15% +. who we believe will be in the guarantee, after we win the 90%-10% grievance?:surprised::dont_know:

If don't know if ups freight is the same as our small parcel division, but I do know that there is a process to our grievances. First the person who feels they are violated is to approach their immediate supervisor, then if nothing is corrected they get a steward. They then both try to resolve the problem with your center manager, and if they can't, the effected driver has to choose whether or not to grieve the problem. If you are a steward be careful, you can't fight everyones fight for them. I've seen this happen too often. It is up to the people to know their contract and try to resolve their problems themselves, not complain to the steward and expect them to do everything for them while they cower in the corner. Good luck. Hope this answers your question.:happy2:

Guaranteed 8

Brothers first!
If don't know if ups freight is the same as our small parcel division, but I do know that there is a process to our grievances. First the person who feels they are violated is to approach their immediate supervisor, then if nothing is corrected they get a steward. They then both try to resolve the problem with your center manager, and if they can't, the effected driver has to choose whether or not to grieve the problem. If you are a steward be careful, you can't fight everyones fight for them. I've seen this happen too often. It is up to the people to know their contract and try to resolve their problems themselves, not complain to the steward and expect them to do everything for them while they cower in the corner. Good luck. Hope this answers your question.:happy2:

Thanks for the reply. Since the union is new at freight, we have alot of fellows who think that the Steward should do everything. Basically, I have told them that if you don't help yourselves, you are in trouble. Because the Steward can't do it all.:peaceful:

that article says 90% of fulltime bids, not 90% of fulltime employees.

You should file a grievance anytime you want clarification, but in this instance some people thought that 90% of fulltime employees would be guaranteed.

Guaranteed 8

Brothers first!

You should file a grievance anytime you want clarification, but in this instance some people thought that 90% of fulltime employees would be guaranteed.

Here's the deal. All full-time jobs are up for bid. There has never been a time in the past that it has not been so. What would stop the company from offering any bid jobs? Therefore, no guarantees? All full-time jobs are bid. No one gets a job assignment. Read the article on re-bids. it will clarify that it is the total of full-timers, other wise you could have no rebid.:peaceful:

It says start times are bid on and the company has the right to have a certian amount of employees with out a start time.

Terminals down here have there bid sheets with some positions are designated NG positions, these positions are non guaranteed positions, these are full time employees that don't have set routes.

Guaranteed 8

Brothers first!
We have more guys in the guarantee right now than routes. The whole thing is arbitrary. The article says the company has a right to have a sufficient amount of fulltimers unscheduled, it says nothing that these jobs are not guaranteed. If a 90%er wants unscheduled, then he bids on it. The guy who negatiated this contract with hall was a UPS man. He never worked in freight and is now retired. UPS has so little faith in the old (ovnt) management, that they had no say in the contract and will not even be part of the labor management.:peaceful:

SJ55

We have filed on this very same problem looks like it is a nationwide, they say that the contract does not talk about all fulltime employees but remember before the contract most terminals worked 100% of fulltime employees and bid those 100% so that falls in under maintenance of standards if your terminal had a 100% bid before than grieve on behalf of the maintenance of standards clause. Looks like they dont want to play fair and we will have to make them.

Bids are not even guaranteed. In the contract it states 90% of all bids are guaranteed 8 hours "If put to work". They can walk you anytime.

witheeze

Jack-knife
Is this something all terminals are doing at mine we have had two bids since radification and both were done differently

ScrewedUP

Where you located? Our terminal runs nothing like anyone else. Our terminal manager hates the union and with no work rules as of Dec 4 it's a free for all for management. Treat us like ****!!

ScrewedUP

Ok, I was full time dock/cdl until June 1st. Then bids came out and management said that wasn't needed full time anymore so they cut me to part time. Took the pay cut which was almost $3.00 and stayed on the dock. But for 14 weeks in a row I didn't work under 45 hrs/week. that included driving in the city and working outbound dock. Since our local union couldn't come up with an answer on article 5 sect1 (viii) in September I filed a grievence. Still haven't heard anything yet.

ScrewedUP

Because management says that's what UPS told him to do. If I only had a dollar for every time they've said that to me since March I would be rich. Then could tell to **** off!!