To guarantee or not to guarantee, that is the question.

upschuck

I've noticed in other threads that some areas guarantee all drivers 8 hrs, while others only bid drivers are guaranteed 8. I am assuming that those that do guarantee the 8, that they use PT cover drivers heavily. How many FT non bid drivers do you guys have? My center does not guarantee anything to FT non bid drivers, but most all work everyday. Only slow time for layoff would be in the Jan/Feb months, and this year with the weather most all worked then as well. We do not have any PT cover drivers. We have about 15+ FT non bid drivers in each of the 2 centers in my building. I would think that the way my center does it would make more FT driving opportunities and higher pay sooner than the guaranteed way. What do you guys think?

PT Car Washer

All of our package car drivers are FT with a daily 8 hour guarantee. Most have bid routes and the ones who don't cover for vacations or days off. Or run garbage routes which are overflow from other routes. Pretty much work everyday except Jan/Feb maybe. Everyone has been working steady this winter. No PT cover drivers here.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
All of our package car drivers are FT with a daily 8 hour guarantee. Most have bid routes and the ones who don't cover for vacations or days off. Or run garbage routes which are overflow from other routes. Pretty much work everyday except Jan/Feb maybe. Everyone has been working steady this winter. No PT cover drivers here.
Same here if you're a driver you're FT. We have had times when the bottom few were laid off. Still get hours though. I double shifted a few times in my day to get my 8.

upschuck

I have read on here that in some centers, that all FT drivers get 8 even if they don't work and if that hinders the company to put on more FT drivers. And do they like that even though it took them longer to get the job.

ikoi62

ft drivers,ft clerks,ft porters guaranteed 8 pt loaders and unloaders guaranteed 3.5 No PT cover drivers.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have read on here that in some centers, that all FT drivers get 8 even if they don't work and if that hinders the company to put on more FT drivers. And do they like that even though it took them longer to get the job.
I highly doubt that. The company constantly breaks areas to avoid paying more drivers. I'm sure if the were paying someone not to work they would bring them in and lower the overtime on other drivers. Forgive me if I mis interpreted your post.

upschuck

I highly doubt that. The company constantly breaks areas to avoid paying more drivers. I'm sure if the were paying someone not to work they would bring them in and lower the overtime on other drivers. Forgive me if I mis interpreted your post.
That is how I interpreted some(more than 1) posts on other threads here saying they are guaranteed their 8 hrs if worked or not. I will see if I can find those and post them here.

upschuck

Here are a couple quotes
That stinks our supplement there are no cover drivers. Everyone is fulltime 8 hour gaurantee. Most junior drivers (and some senior) are "unassigned" which means they run whatever route is open due to sick, personal, disability etc. unnassigned drivers can bid to cover vacation weeks. Same pay, same vacation etc. when we have extra people there is a "request off" list which is senority based. Most senior driver goes home first etc.

I cant believe your supplement allows people to be "on call" with no gurantee and allows junior employees to go home before a senior employee. Do the "casual" make less money also?
Since I'm guaranteed 8 hrs a day I have a route everyday I just don't know which one until I show up. What I do know is that it won't be a crappy route everyday most of the time I'll be on a half decent or a good route...

I guess if the only way your where guaranteed 8 hrs a day is if you bid a specific route than you do what you have to.. But in my area we have FT cover drivers that bid the cover route opening position during bid.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Here are a couple quotes
All that means is if they work they get the 8 hour guarantee. Our full time and full time drivers without a bid route are guaranteed 8. I would assume a TCD that comes out of part time to cover a single vacation day isn't. Our center doesn't put drivers on the road unless its a full route.

upschuck

All that means is if they work they get the 8 hour guarantee. Our full time and full time drivers without a bid route are guaranteed 8. I would assume a TCD that comes out of part time to cover a single vacation day isn't. Our center doesn't put drivers on the road unless its a full route.
Some1else's post sounds like they get eight no matter what. Read the second paragraph about being "on call"

S

selfcancelsignal

I see it as call in until a certain time to see if we have work. You are never really on call.
Which my stewards have told me is not actually in the contract.

Sent from the 64GB US Cellular iPhone 5S of selfcancelsignal

upschuck

I see it as call in until a certain time to see if we have work. You are never really on call.
We always waited til an hour after normal start times to be called(normal procedure), called in, or just came in and hoped to work. Our start time list states "on call".

PT Car Washer

The company has to tell you if you are laid off for the week. If you are officially laid off you can bump the lowest seniority PTers to make your 40 hours for the week.

IlllIIllIIlllIllIIIlIlIlI

We have around 55 FT bid drivers, no FT cover drivers, 12 PT cover. If your touch a ground package as a pt cover you get paid same rate as FT, but if you only do airs, you get air rate. They can force them to do either. I guess the upside to having PT covers is that the FT jobs are filled as fast as they're vacated, but the downside is that there are routes that have only ever been done by PT covers, so the total FT job count would undoubtedly be lower than a center without PT covers.