To Keep Up With Inflation

Top rate for package car driver needs to be over 50/hr on day 1 of the next contract
Screenshot_20230321-181745-737.png

JL 0513

I agree it needs to be a significant bump right away to get to the purchasing power we had before 2 years ago. The COLA increase last year was a joke.

There's no way we're getting that significant of a raise right away. Not even sure we'll be at $50 by the end of next contract. Hope we are though.

I'm in MA and they're trying to get the minimum wage to $20/hr. We'd have to be at least $60/hr to adjust to that.

Memester

Yes we deserve a good raise but perhaps.
Many people do not realize how much are benefit package is worth.
This is absolutely the case. Myself included until my wife, who works in accounts billing for a doctor’s office, told me.

That said, I still don’t think it’s out of line to expect our wages keep up with inflation

This is absolutely the case. Myself included until my wife, who works in accounts billing for a doctor’s office, told me.

That said, I still don’t think it’s out of line to expect our wages keep up with inflation
I get it trust me I get it.
We all need our money
Screenshot_20230321-183924-816.png

JL 0513

Problem is the GWI's in the contracts always run low to high. In the past 2 contracts or so, starting with 70¢. This time around is unique because of the sharp inflation going into a new contract. Last year's COLA increase was much too low for real inflation. So would the union actually fight for a large first year raise and smaller subsequent GWI's (with the assumption inflation slows in coming years)?

In all seriousness, I think top rate should see a $3 increase in the first year. Groceries are up an average of 25%, some things up 50% (steak for example) from 2 years ago. Not this 8% nonsense the government keeps putting out.

vvv

Top rate for package car driver needs to be over 50/hr on day 1 of the next contract
Talk sensible my friend, that comment is very foolish. We'd be very fortunate to grab $1.50/hour each year with all else going on.
$1.50 an hour each year assuming it's another 5 year contract would put drivers near $50 +/-.

Even that scenario is a stretch.

542thruNthru

These threads crack me up. $50 starting plus raises. Also PTers start at $22 plus raise and catch up raises. Oh yeah and no more 22.4s and raise them up to $50 also. No PVDs! Oh and make all pensions equal and pay 5k a month.

Hey while you're at it... throw in AC and you got a deal! :)

JL 0513

These threads crack me up. $50 starting plus raises. Also PTers start at $22 plus raise and catch up raises. Oh yeah and no more 22.4s and raise them up to $50 also. No PVDs! Oh and make all pensions equal and pay 5k a month.

Hey while you're at it... throw in AC and you got a deal! :)
Don't forget heated and ventilated driver seat and heated steering wheel. What are we, barbarians?

Its_a_me

Inflation is up 6%

The Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers rose 0.4 percent in February 2023 (seasonally adjusted) after rising 0.5 percent in January and 0.1 percent in December 2022. From February 2022 to February 2023, gasoline prices fell 2.0 percent and offset increases in food and shelter prices, resulting in the index for all items increasing 6.0 percent (not seasonally adjusted)

so to keep up with just inflation (not to be rewarded for work and expertise in helping make UPS the most profitable its ever been over the course of the last contract)....you take your wage and multiply by 1.06. I think the company would jump and run to sign that contract proposal.

inflation is expect to slowly decrease to 4% by year's end--but it rose from Dec and Jan (to Feb which reflects the current information). Negotiating just on inflation is dumb as it doesn't reflect what the workers have done to make the last contract the most profitable ever for UPS.

PS....actually heated/ventilated seating is a smart solution to a heating/cooling need on a truck that takes frequent stops with doors opening making AC difficult to implement. Surface losses to outside ambient temperature are slower than air losses. It's common sense...but the retrofitting costs on current equipment---better chance of getting 365 pairs of UPS branded socks paid for per person.