To old to start driving?

browniehound

I just made book two weeks ago and I am 42 so the answer is no, your not too old. Work hard and by the methods and you should be able to make book

Just listen to what Scottyhawk says. Its all about the methods. It really is. I know it might sound like company speak but just follow the methods. UPS has been in business since 1907. How many companies can say that? Can Apple? Can Microsoft? I can continue but I think you catch my drift? Is U.S. Steel still business? Its the only one I can think of that was around in 1907. IBM comes to mind but I don't want to digress. UPS is still here and stronger than ever and there is a reason for that.

UPS knows how to make money hand over fist. They know what they are doing. The methods are tried and true. Follow them and the job becomes cream cheese. It really does. You don't have to bust your hump to run scratch if you follow the methods. Its the ones that don't follow the methods that hate their workload and think the job is impossible. For example that 2 minutes you burned to looking at your IPhone is not part of the methods. 2 minutes 10 times a day adds up. Just saying...

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
like i said you can probably do it physically, but you will have nothing but headaches and back aches every day. and on top of it 12 to 14 hour days every day. you have no life on this job cause your on the road 12 to 14 hours a day. freedom is highly under rated amigo trust me. 13 years in cant wait til its over. 14 left

U

uber

like i said you can probably do it physically, but you will have nothing but headaches and back aches every day. and on top of it 12 to 14 hour days every day. you have no life on this job cause your on the road 12 to 14 hours a day. freedom is highly under rated amigo trust me. 13 years in cant wait til its over. 14 left

Over 9 hours in a day is unusual for me.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
over here on the east coast at this little hub im at, i leave my house at 730(45 min from center)amd get to work at 815. have to get there that early to basically reload my whole truck because the dispatch and loads are so horrible. if you guys seen it here you would be like are you serious dude. place is ran like total crap. and then your dispatched way too heavy every day with them busting out routes left and right. i dont even say anything about it anymore i just rock em to sleep every night lol. usually punch out 730 to 9 somewhere in there. yup 12 to 14 hours every day on the road by the time i get home. and peak during xmas here forget about it im punching out at 10 at the earliest usually. sometimes at 11 with leaving the house at 615 am. be lucky your at a decent center sucks over here. did make 85k last year thats the only cool part bout it.

DSM515

over here on the east coast at this little hub im at, i leave my house at 730(45 min from center)amd get to work at 815. have to get there that early to basically reload my whole truck because the dispatch and loads are so horrible. if you guys seen it here you would be like are you serious dude. place is ran like total crap. and then your dispatched way too heavy every day with them busting out routes left and right. i dont even say anything about it anymore i just rock em to sleep every night lol. usually punch out 730 to 9 somewhere in there. yup 12 to 14 hours every day on the road by the time i get home. and peak during xmas here forget about it im punching out at 10 at the earliest usually. sometimes at 11 with leaving the house at 615 am. be lucky your at a decent center sucks over here. did make 85k last year thats the only cool part bout it.
Your high. Really 815am to let's just say 815pm that's 12 hrs minus lunch 1 hr = 11 hrs. That's about 98 grand your time driving to work has nothing to do with it. I made 82 live ten mins from work am 42 years old have a heavy urban route and NEVER load my truck not my job. I say go for it. Monday thru Friday I work. when you figure that out and know you have every weekend off plus 8 paid holidays plus paid vacations makes it a little easier on the old body and brain. I think Jumpman23 is making it sound a lot worse than it really is. Just sayin

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
not really just stating facts you must work at a decent center thats not totally out of control. let me guess your one of them clowns that dont touch a package until you get on the road. that tells me 1 of 2 things you have a good loader or u just do the job the ghetto way like the rest of the idiots i see in the morning with poor work ethics. i dont see how you can run a route n not touch a package. in our center if you dont do that with the super idiot dispatch and super idiot load your screwed, way over 9.5 every night. if you have a good center more props to you brother. if you like 12 hour days everyday good for you i know i dont. trust me if you lived 45 min from alcatraz you would feel me

cb1969

Age is not the problem. But you do have a discussion to make about. You have no idea if you will like the job. You can always disqualify yourself during your thirty days and go back to part-time. You just cant try again for two years. But, landscaping this is the busy time for that work so you have to factor that in. But age should not be a factor.

Indecisi0n

h6258FE6E

InsideUPS

I am a 7 year part timer that is getting close to a chance to go full time drivng. I have never drove at all and are going on 43. I also do lawn service work and landscaping on my own. My question is at my current age do you think i am to late in years to start the driving gig? Or would i be better off continuing the part time with my other work?

Welcome to Brown Cafe kyhunter.

The ONLY person that can answer your question is you. There are many variables in each person's life that dictate the best course for that individual. Having my own business and being part-time, I went through the same decision making process that you are going through now. Here are some things to consider.

1) Health - Evaluate your current health condition. Any old knee or shoulder injuries...etc. In 7 years you will be 50 and your body will continue to change in more ways than you might imagine..

2) Business - Do you have opportunities to grow your landscaping service? Can you branch out into things like water gardens, pond care service, etc.. Do you have the opportunity to get larger accounts such as businesses, shopping plazas, etc.

3) Family - Wife / Children - Do you have a wife that works....one that is able to help with overall family income?..... young children that you want to spend time with?

4) Job Security - Although UPS will be around a very long time, going full-time increases the chances of losing your job simply because you have MANY more responsibilities...and therefore chances to lose your job....when compared to part-time.

5) Pension - Regardless of whether you go full time or stay part time, you will most likely never reach a 30 year pension. If you stay part-time for example...you would be 70 years old when you reach your 30 year part-time pension....or a 23 year full time/ 7 year part time.. "partial service pension"..

6) Current Financial Situation - Only you know your current financial situation...and what your needs and goals may be.

Summary - Drivers earn excellent wages but also sacrifice a considerable amount of their lives and health in order to earn that wage. For me, staying part-time and growing my own business worked out to be more profitable and rewarding... however, I was 24 when I started at UPS and will be getting a 35 year pension at the end of this year ($1925/month) Also, I happened to be one of the fortunate part-time employees that were "red circled" meaning that our wages kept pace with that of driver wages.

UPS delivery work is much more difficult now than it was in the past.....considering the weight increases (use to be 50 lbs. now 150 lbs.), larger package cars (holding more volume), and longer hours. If you are married.....your wife will no doubt enjoy your paychecks....but may not appreciate your absence from the dinner table and little Johnnie's or Susie's games, plays, etc.. Sometimes however....that's the sacrifice that many of us men make for the sake our families.... An understanding and supporting wife will go along way in making your life as a driver more tolerable.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
not really just stating facts you must work at a decent center thats not totally out of control. let me guess your one of them clowns that dont touch a package until you get on the road. that tells me 1 of 2 things you have a good loader or u just do the job the ghetto way like the rest of the idiots i see in the morning with poor work ethics. i dont see how you can run a route n not touch a package. in our center if you dont do that with the super idiot dispatch and super idiot load your screwed, way over 9.5 every night. if you have a good center more props to you brother. if you like 12 hour days everyday good for you i know i dont. trust me if you lived 45 min from alcatraz you would feel me

You call people that don't go in early and work for free idiots?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
i get my time back trust me every day. between lunch and talking to customers throughout the day. im not searching for boxes all day like an idiot,you may want to but im sorry my work ethics way too strong for that son. im not doing the job the ghetto way like everyone else forget that nonsense

browniehound

Jump, do you take a violin with you to work everyday and repeat that to your customers? I;m just kidding (really I am) but the reality is all of us as UPS drivers experience the same long days as you. I leave the house at 715 and don't return for 12-14 hours. Truth is, I like it. A man(woman) is supposed to work these hours. Say you at a regular full time job at Joe Shmoe's you work 7-330 everyday making $14.00/hour. After that you sit in front of the X-Box smoking weed from 4-830. Then say you complain that you don't make enough money. Well I think you should be working those 4 four hours. I'm not saying you, I'm just saying these people in general that want more money but don't wan't to work for it.

What happened to the American work ethic? Nobody wants to work anymore. Its why president Obama got re-elected. We live in a country of people who believe in entitlements and they believe these entitlements should come from the federal government. Why?

A man(or woman) should be at work all day, every day. All day. UPS is the last place in America that it happens consistenly. An 8 hour day is not a full days work. Ask your great-grandfather. He will say its a half days work. I'm proud to put in my long days at UPS.

To work 7-330 everyday? What the heck would I do with the rest of the day? I would work if I needed money. I take lunch at 230 and these lazy bumbs are going home an hour later to smoke a blunt in their mom's basement. I could go on but I will leave it at this...

Johney

Brownie you make some good points, but what if I don't need or want to work 10 to 12 hours a day? What if I make plenty of money working just 8 hours? This company gives you no choice(except two days a month). Why not give the guys like you all the overtime you want and guys like me who don't want it go home after 8? Just a thought.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
love the response brownie. i may not love the job but im like you if im going to work even if its a job i dont like im a do it to the best of my ability. im real consious about my work ethic and just wanna try n make it go as smooth as i can. im not trying to have my destiny determined for that day determined by dispatchers who dont give a dam and by the loaders who dont give a dam and trained wrong by idiot pt supes who are trained wrong also that dont give a damm either lol. but my customers always no they can depend on me cause they know my work ethic.