To those that lurk more than post...

brownIEman

i hate to disagree with you but i do there is more fire than smoke. i have worked for ups 22 years and have been a steward for 4 , so i can go back to the bad old days of non stop supervisor screaming. but that is all it was , just noise. now there is nothing but threats on your job and for things that you can not be fired for , which is performance. now if someone is out there stealing time and if you are doing that you might as well be opening packages it is wrong. but i would have to say that 95% of the drivers i represent go out and give 100% everyday and supervision is all over them. so this climate of fear and hate is comming from the people who run this company which most of us used to be proud to work for.

Well, the value of sites like this is a free and open discourse of different perspective.

From a management perspective, I can tell you in my experience, your 95% estimate is a tad high, but not by much. However, even that to me is wayyyyy to low. 5% slugs who do not give 100% (again, perspectives, to me 100% is a fair days work, so any less is a violation of the labor agreement) is way too many. How would you feel if you bank said it would get 95% of the deposits and withdrawals to your account correct? Would you be ok with that?

But never mind. How do we try to get that 5% slug number down to 0%? Or, failing that, how to we keep the slugs from infesting other drivers and growing that number to 10, 20, or 30% service providers that do not give the fair days work everyday? The answer is the same. Ride the 5% as hard as you can. You eat up tons of management time and stewards time, and hourly time. People will get frustrated. But the 5% will, at least for small pockets of time, give a tad more. And any of the 95% that were thinking of giving less, will see what the 5% go through and think they want no part of that. Is it right? Don't know. I do know it has worked for 102 years.

jimstud

Banned
Well, the value of sites like this is a free and open discourse of different perspective.

From a management perspective, I can tell you in my experience, your 95% estimate is a tad high, but not by much. However, even that to me is wayyyyy to low. 5% slugs who do not give 100% (again, perspectives, to me 100% is a fair days work, so any less is a violation of the labor agreement) is way too many. How would you feel if you bank said it would get 95% of the deposits and withdrawals to your account correct? Would you be ok with that?

But never mind. How do we try to get that 5% slug number down to 0%? Or, failing that, how to we keep the slugs from infesting other drivers and growing that number to 10, 20, or 30% service providers that do not give the fair days work everyday? The answer is the same. Ride the 5% as hard as you can. You eat up tons of management time and stewards time, and hourly time. People will get frustrated. But the 5% will, at least for small pockets of time, give a tad more. And any of the 95% that were thinking of giving less, will see what the 5% go through and think they want no part of that. Is it right? Don't know. I do know it has worked for 102 years.
i think that in my building 95% might be too low, and i don't have a problem with going after the people who lay down.it is when management goes after good honest drivers that gets my blood up. like the 51 year old female who's paid over because of her age and phyiscal conditrion , all part of article 37 that is way over the line. what is done about management slugs? we have all seen them , you know the knuckleheads with beer guts so big they have not seen their toes or other lower body parts in about 10 years.

brownIEman

i think that in my building 95% might be too low, and i don't have a problem with going after the people who lay down.it is when management goes after good honest drivers that gets my blood up. like the 51 year old female who's paid over because of her age and phyiscal conditrion , all part of article 37 that is way over the line. what is done about management slugs? we have all seen them , you know the knuckleheads with beer guts so big they have not seen their toes or other lower body parts in about 10 years.

beer guts is a poor indicator of a mgmt slug, or driver slug in my experience. I have seen some of the portliest guys get up and move at a good clip in a package car. That aside, just search under the phrase 'management eat their own' or similar on this site and you will quickly get a feel for what happens to mgmt slugs. And they get no representation from stweards...

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I told you not to mention that PM!!!!! LOL!
Well, I hadn't mentioned any details but since you brought it up.............................. did my suggestion to help 'it' work?:happy-very:

Speaking of PM's.......................... I have another suggestion for you for 'it'.

Last edited:

rocket man

IF YOU HAVE A MANAGER OR SUPERVISOR YELL PROFANITYS AT YOU GO TO COURT GET A 30 INJUNCTION AGAINST THEM UNDER ACT OF VIOLENCE they CANT GOTO BLD FOR 30 DAYS screw them all/SEE IF THEY DO IT AGAIN .

tieguy

Banned
IF YOU HAVE A MANAGER OR SUPERVISOR YELL PROFANITYS AT YOU GO TO COURT GET A 30 INJUNCTION AGAINST THEM UNDER ACT OF VIOLENCE they CANT GOTO BLD FOR 30 DAYS screw them all/SEE IF THEY DO IT AGAIN .

See thats the problem with todays kids. If the manager yells at them their mindset should be

"geez I work for that guy and I'm not making him happy. Maybe I should try a little harder. It is what I am paid to do"

Instead in todays society no one accepts responsibility for being a screw up so todays kids decide they need to take the boss to court for being unhappy with their job performance.

jimstud

Banned
See thats the problem with todays kids. If the manager yells at them their mindset should be

"geez I work for that guy and I'm not making him happy. Maybe I should try a little harder. It is what I am paid to do"

Instead in todays society no one accepts responsibility for being a screw up so todays kids decide they need to take the boss to court for being unhappy with their job performance.
no the problem with todays adults ( i am guessing by kids you mean teamster so i guess the management are the adults) they have been sitting on their fat rear ends behind a desk so long that they are no longer in touch with the job us lowly drivers do which by the way earn ups billions of dollars every year do . and i know we make a lot of money , we are reminded by our management daily so don't bother posting that as your reply. oh and by the way you guys make quite a lot of money and as far as i can see do a hell of a lot less for it.

Lue C Fur

Evil member

Maybe the reason the supe is yelling at worker is because he (the supe) screwed up and is taking out his fustrations on the worker...

Its amazing that at UPS you can be a total idiot supe and they promote you but if your a good supe that has the respect of his workers you get screwed by your managment and you dont go anywhere.

What do i know though...im just a scumbag union worker that works on million dollar acft.:devil3:

brownIEman

just out of curiosity, would you give the same advice to a manager or supervisor who has an hourly employee yell profanities at them?

I can tell you as a newly minted operations supervisor I have yet to yell profanities at anyone. the reverse however, not so much...

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I had to get an injunction against workplace harrassment. Mine was good for 1 year. Very effective. :happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
no the problem with todays adults ( i am guessing by kids you mean teamster so i guess the management are the adults) they have been sitting on their fat rear ends behind a desk so long that they are no longer in touch with the job us lowly drivers do which by the way earn ups billions of dollars every year do . and i know we make a lot of money , we are reminded by our management daily so don't bother posting that as your reply. oh and by the way you guys make quite a lot of money and as far as i can see do a hell of a lot less for it.

despite all those rosy characteristics the point still remains the same. Your job is to work for those fat out of touch guys making lots of money for doing a lot less.

How the hell did you ever end up in a situation where you are working for those characters. And what does that make you?

DS

Fenderbender
despite all those rosy characteristics the point still remains the same. Your job is to work for those fat out of touch guys making lots of money for doing a lot less.
I was not going to say anything until I read this.
OK heres my take on this.You got almost 95% of drivers giving 100% every day.Why ride everyones @ss just to fix a few?
How the hell did you ever end up in a situation where you are working for those characters. And what does that make you?
I find this insulting.It implies that everyone in management has been promoted because they really deserve it,and that anyone working under them is inferior.
It also implies that because we are hourlies,we have not realized that because we chose this path we are stupid.Everyone is different,and its unfair to judge them as though they lived your life.
From my experience even the extremely rare slow days as a driver would probobly be a wake up call to most people.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I'm a big believer in the "95% rule"....which is that, in any work enviorment, 95% of the people will give their best effort while the other 5% will always be worthless pains in the ass. UPS drivers, ditch diggers, pro football players, it doesnt matter; that 5% will always be stinking the place up.

I'm OK with the idea of putting the heat on that 5%. The only problem is that, when it comes to UPS management...the 5% seems to have found its way to the top.