Today was my 30th day

browner89

I'm a package handler in the southern region. What do I need to do in order to join the union? Thanks

30th working day or 30th day since you were hired? You need to work 30 in 90 (per most supplements, some are different) and have you paid your ~$100 in initiation fees? You'll receive your receipts for due payments and a union card in your mail once you're eligible.

browner89

Thanks. Oh, also, I work preload and am making $10.10. I assume I need to email HR to get my extra $0.90 an hour?

What do you do on preload? Unload or loading PCs? If you're doing unload then you probably won't get the extra $, and I may be mistaken, but for some even loading PC's has been de-skilled.

browner89

Do you think you should have to know how to load 'em in order to deliver 'em?

I'm not driving yet but I do know more than a few drivers in my center and I can tell you that from their opinions of the preloaders here it wouldn't matter if you came straight from flipping burgers or not.

With how they talk down on their loaders you'd think that the opposite would be the requirement, you should be forced to deliver them before you're allowed to load a PC.

Unfortunately the thing about preload is that it seems in order to have some respect for your work you need to know how it affects the driver, UPS doesn't bother to show them how it hurts the drivers.

Box Ox

I'm in a RTW state. No initiation fee where I am. Ask your shop steward for a membership card. You fill it, sign it, he/she submits it and dues start coming out within a few weeks.

How much comes out per week depends on your hourly rate. Should be $5/week at yours. You can deduct dues on your tax return.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm in a RTW state. No initiation fee where I am. Ask your shop steward for a membership card. You fill it, sign it, he/she submits it and dues start coming out within a few weeks.

How much comes out per week depends on your hourly rate. Should be $5/week at yours. You can deduct dues on your tax return.

Very few PTers itemize.