Told I needed to call Saturday morning to see if they needed my to work.

over9five

Staff member
Around here they have to tell you the day before if you're required to work or not, they can't just call you on a Saturday morning and tell you that you have to come in.

Here is the correct answer. Use your contract people, that's what you pay those dues for.

Just_another_day_at_work

Staffing is so tight at my building right now that they have denied all personal requests for next week. Which means that that everyone who put in for a personal will be getting paid time and a half for the entire day that they requested.
We love logistics.The DM is not allowed to hire new drivers. We got some guys going on the 9.5 list this week, some no OT requests, sups working.
Heard one of your sup had an accident.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We love logistics.The DM is not allowed to hire new drivers. We got some guys going on the 9.5 list this week, some no OT requests, sups working.
Heard one of your sup had an accident.
Yeah, they tried to keep it quiet but you know how that goes. Of course he couldn't hit some old junker, it had to be a Cadillac....

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
What has yet to be mentioned is that today (Saturday) will be an extremely heavy air day due to Valentine's Day being Monday. I agree that not knowing whether you will be working or not is a pain but I am sure your center is waiting to see just how heavy the air will be so they can figure out how many drivers they will need.
I had my normal # of stops today, definitely many were Valentine's day type gifts, but no big deal. Multiple piece delivery to a well known chocolate store took the place of the usual multiple piece seafood delivery to a spendy restaurant. Even took the EAMs for the next route over.
However I can't comment on how everyone else's loads were. While they're unloading & sorting, I'm stuck eating breakfast at the restaurant up the street, waiting until I can punch in. :sad-little:
Anyway, based on the tiny peephole that is my perspective, all you regular drivers and preload are in for it on monday. Which is a shame, because it seems like they had just finally got caught up here last friday.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I had my normal # of stops today, definitely many were Valentine's day type gifts, but no big deal. Multiple piece delivery to a well known chocolate store took the place of the usual multiple piece seafood delivery to a spendy restaurant. Even took the EAMs for the next route over.
However I can't comment on how everyone else's loads were. While they're unloading & sorting, I'm stuck eating breakfast at the restaurant up the street, waiting until I can punch in. :sad-little:
Anyway, based on the tiny peephole that is my perspective, all you regular drivers and preload are in for it on monday. Which is a shame, because it seems like they had just finally got caught up here last friday.
Good, that means they won't cut routes and give everyone their "Monday split".

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I would call in and if they need you and you can't come in then take yourself out of service. They are doing this in my area too. It might be annoying but at 45+ bucks an hour there are alot of people that would love to have your problems. Don't get me wrong it's a pain in the ass but it's once in a blue moon.
I think it would be double time, Im not sure. I was asked, too old to force, but with 53 hrs in already, it would have all went to someone other than me,. I almost found myself saying sure Ill work, then I thought of that. I need to make it to work every day, working 6 may push my limits. the cold has beat me badly.

bumped

Good, that means they won't cut routes and give everyone their "Monday split".

At UPS, I wouldn't assume that at all.

You know the drill.....we don't have any extra drivers, all the extra package cars are in the shop....District manager 2 states away said these are the only routes we can run.

Take your pick.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
The sixth report day is time and a half here. Too much snow on my rural area to even think about working last Thursday. I stayed at home. Bad thing was that since I only had four reports for the week, I had to deliver Saturday air. Not going to complain though. I think it is only the second Saturday I have worked in twenty-six years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The sixth report day is time and a half here. Too much snow on my rural area to even think about working last Thursday. I stayed at home. Bad thing was that since I only had four reports for the week, I had to deliver Saturday air. Not going to complain though. I think it is only the second Saturday I have worked in twenty-six years.

Why didn't you just take a personal day for the snow day?

menotyou

bella amicizia
The one common denominator in working Valentine's and Mother's Day is the reaction to me knocking on the door.
There is such genuine joy.
It does suck the ol' wazoo having to work a Saturday, but you can't deny how enjoyable it is to see those smiling eyes looking back at you. Makes you remember why you love your job.
Just my opinion.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The one common denominator in working Valentine's and Mother's Day is the reaction to me knocking on the door.
There is such genuine joy.
It does suck the ol' wazoo having to work a Saturday, but you can't deny how enjoyable it is to see those smiling eyes looking back at you. Makes you remember why you love your job.
Just my opinion.
Yes I enjoy that part also.
But I have some smiling eyes, basically two dogs with beautiful eyes, and a husband that have the same look when I walk in Friday night, and Know I will not leave them for two days.
It trumps, whatever a customer, or UPS can pay me.

cwb425

from what I understand there is a no such thing as "on call" you are either working or not. and they have to tell you 24 hours in advanced. if they try to get you in trouble for you saying you can come, let them know they didnt give you 24 hour notice.