Toner Box Explosion Almost Made Me Quit

SubPop79

Well, while loading my truck tonight, a box of Canon brand powdered printer toner got crushed on my rollers by a much larger and heavier package, resulting in a massive cloud of black dust in the truck, and half inch thick, 2 foot wide pile of powered toner on the ground. Luckily the fan was running, and we had so many big packages that there was about 20 feet left until the truck was 100% full. This allowed, I think, for at least a little "airing out."

It was the heaviest hour, but I left the area immediately, trying not to breath anything in, knowing full well the larger mess that this would make. I told my supervisor I was not going back in the truck without a breathing mask and goggles. It turns out we have none, not even for a hazmat spill. I think that is total bull:censored2:. How can you not?

After about ten minutes, when all my supervisors are in the truck checking out the problem, my main supervisor is telling me that this isn't a hazard and I shouldn't need a mask for some dust. He was calm, amidst my obvious livid anger. I told him "this is my two weeks notice." He kept talking while I decided to start loading. "Why don't you quit tonight?" he says. I told him I wouldn't do that because I've been there for 2.5 years and that just wouldn't be right. I have since redacted that statement. I can't even remember what exactly happened tonight because I so amazingly pissed off. I did however remain calm. I'm still pissed, so this is why this post is losing coherence.

Basically, I have 3 questions.

1) Can they just randomly fire me now that I have said this? I'm not sure if they would, given my experience and impeccable load quality + pph rating. I think they could though?

2) How dangerous IS it to be working in a cloud of printer toner? I'm coughing black specs up now, and so I am worried my lungs are now died black. Being a smoker of 4 years does not help the problem. I've honestly been trying to quit all week, and am back down to ~4 a day from a pack a day, but as soon as I left I had to bum a cigarette from my buddy. Now I'm worried what I just smoked caked the toner further into lungs. I read that toner particles are orders of magnitude smaller than cigarette smoke, and much harder for the lungs to expel.

3) Why no breathing masks and goggles? They're trying to save money? Its up to the employees to have these? Since the material in question is not immediately hazardous, it does not warrant protection?

I need some drinks. I hope I still a job tomorrow.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
asdrty.jpg
Say Cheese lmfao.

Mr Shifter

You still have a job. Seems the supervisor knew you were just venting as you continued working. Just calmly talk to the same supervisor tomorrow and let them know It was just choice words. I'm sure you're not the first or will be the last to say they're quitting when they get upset and don't really mean it.

PT Car Washer

I believe you will still have a job tomorrow as long as your actions can not be interrupted as work place violence. Just saying I'm quitting is not enough unless you never go back. Must have a Union Steward present.

SubPop79

I don't think my actions could have been interpreted as violent, at all. Yes, I cussed and said "Well, why don't we all friend* start scanning in here and then we can all friend* see if this smile* isn't dangerous." Everyone cusses here. Its not like I was smashing packages. After I said I pretty much just shut up while my sup talked and went on loading as I always do. There was even some joking about it later when got a new truck to accommodate the overload that happens every Monday.

I think the fact that half our new hires in the course of this month have all quit might be a good thing in this case. People have quit very recently for much less than this ordeal. The remaining hires still don't know how to load fast or neatly.

I'm honestly more worried about having inhaled that stuff. From what I've read, smoking is a much healthier alternative. This might be the final straw for both my nicotine appetite and my employment.

BigBeef42

Dude, i was a hazmat responder for 3 years. It was my job to clean up that junk. Ive cleaned up 5 or 6 dozen toner boxes. It happens all the time.

Toner isnt good for you. If you have a tightning chest/lungs then go see a doctor.

If your building is small then they wont have a hazmat guy working.

Sent using Ink and Canvas

BigBeef42

Looking at this... go see a doctor anyways. This will let ur boss know that he shouldnt have made u work. Say its work related if you go to the doctor.

Sent using Ink and Canvas

Last edited:

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Just because your pieces per hour are top shelf and your loads are of impeccable quality doesn't mean they won't walk you to the guard shack. They could just do it to make an example of you or show the part time sups who the real boss is....nobody up there can't be replaced. I've seen it all in the 38 years I worked there. Having said that, like PT Carwasher said, have a steward tomorrow when you go in and if you feel it might be necessary, go to a Dr. tomorrow before you go in. *somewhere* in your building has got to be equipment to handle spills. I think OSHA would see to that. They just didn't want your slide to back up. Wish you the best.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you need to go to the Dr...go in tomorrow with your steward and file an accident report....get a claim #. You probably still have a job.

I understand your frustration but you handled the situation poorly. You dont tell a sup that you are NOT going to do something. If he told you to get back in the trailer...you have every right to explain that you dont feel comfortable doing that because you're concerned it's unsafe. If the sup insisted....you ask for your steward immediately.

Be careful what you say when you get angry at work. You clearly can see how much your "immpecable" load quality and pph matter when asked why don't you quit now? Everyone is replaceable!

Last edited:
Z

ZQXC

They would love to make an excellent worker the "sacrificial lamb", really gets the attention of all the slackards.

Z

ZQXC

Had the head-piece on a pressurized extinguisher of Purple-K powder break off when it hit the bottom edge of the slide. Spinning plumes of purple powder for a few seconds and a whole lot of hysteria.

No extra charge for the alliteration.

fres431

Go into work start work..shortly after starting ask to seek medical attention of shortness of breath. Ups cannot deny one medical attention. Somewhere down in ca similar event happen(don't know what the leaker was) anyhow the kid that was loading obtained something in his kings that gave him like a yr to live couple ft sups lost their job over it.

iruhnman630

Reminds of the time in my unload days when the training sup came out of the trailer in uncontrollable laughter after his first day newbie had an entire case of blue dry ink dump on him.

Poor kid looked like a smurf.