Toner Box Explosion Almost Made Me Quit

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have seen giant size boxes of used toner cartridges come through quite often. One time a box broke open and around 20 of them dropped out. Three of us in proximity were covered in the toner dust. It took a good 15 minutes to clean up.

I would also recommend seeing a doctor just in case.

watdaflock?

Being a smoker of 4 years does not help the problem

Ironic you're worried about breathing in some toner for a few minutes after admitting this.

As for you getting into trouble/fired - Tell your boss you want something on paper about breathing in toner is not a hazard and you don't need a mask.
Personally your boss sounds like a d*ck to say such a thing and obviously cares less about you.

"The International Agency for Research on Cancer has classified toner powder as a type 2B carcinogen with the primary ingredient in most laser toner cartridges being Carbon Black. Carbon dust, which toner is mainly composed of, is known to emit carcinogens which can be dangerous to humans and result in a form a cancer when inhaled. Normal operation of photocopiers and laser printers will not expose users to these possible risks; however a broken cartridge that explodes toner powder in the office can be a different story"

(Google "toner ink exposure")

Integrity

Binge Poster
Well, while loading my truck tonight, a box of Canon brand powdered printer toner got crushed on my rollers by a much larger and heavier package, resulting in a massive cloud of black dust in the truck, and half inch thick, 2 foot wide pile of powered toner on the ground. Luckily the fan was running, and we had so many big packages that there was about 20 feet left until the truck was 100% full. This allowed, I think, for at least a little "airing out."

It was the heaviest hour, but I left the area immediately, trying not to breath anything in, knowing full well the larger mess that this would make. I told my supervisor I was not going back in the truck without a breathing mask and goggles. It turns out we have none, not even for a hazmat spill. I think that is total bull:censored2:. How can you not?

After about ten minutes, when all my supervisors are in the truck checking out the problem, my main supervisor is telling me that this isn't a hazard and I shouldn't need a mask for some dust. He was calm, amidst my obvious livid anger. I told him "this is my two weeks notice." He kept talking while I decided to start loading. "Why don't you quit tonight?" he says. I told him I wouldn't do that because I've been there for 2.5 years and that just wouldn't be right. I have since redacted that statement. I can't even remember what exactly happened tonight because I so amazingly pissed off. I did however remain calm. I'm still pissed, so this is why this post is losing coherence.

Basically, I have 3 questions.

1) Can they just randomly fire me now that I have said this? I'm not sure if they would, given my experience and impeccable load quality + pph rating. I think they could though?

2) How dangerous IS it to be working in a cloud of printer toner? I'm coughing black specs up now, and so I am worried my lungs are now died black. Being a smoker of 4 years does not help the problem. I've honestly been trying to quit all week, and am back down to ~4 a day from a pack a day, but as soon as I left I had to bum a cigarette from my buddy. Now I'm worried what I just smoked caked the toner further into lungs. I read that toner particles are orders of magnitude smaller than cigarette smoke, and much harder for the lungs to expel.

3) Why no breathing masks and goggles? They're trying to save money? Its up to the employees to have these? Since the material in question is not immediately hazardous, it does not warrant protection?

I need some drinks. I hope I still a job tomorrow.
SubPop79,

This appears to be a clear OSHA violation.

You can obtain Canon Toner MSDS online.

Beware, my experience has shown me that Hazmat Designated Responders cannot be trusted to look out for the workforce.

PM me if you would like to discuss this issue further.

Sincerely,
I

10 point

Googling {Canon toner adverse reactions} tells you in Section 7 & 8 to Avoid breathing dust.

Section 9...read the section Explosive properties. That is another issue. FYI.

SubPop79

Well, nothing directly related to this happened today, which is a good thing. I heard a while back that they like to fire people on a Tuesday, and that did not happen. My main sup was nowhere to be seen today though, and our "alternative sup" who was running the show asked to see me after work and when that happened he just quized me on my DOK because the building manager is coming by tomorrow and he wants to make sure that his best guys know their stuff. Something like that. They tell me I'm a great employee and they talk crap on others while doing so but I get the feeling they do that with everyone for morale. It also seems like the building manager comes by after "situations" happen. Maybe I'm paranoid but, in a situation like this, could there be paperwork filed about that I am not aware of?

I just realized that I have idea what their actual titles are. Should probably get on that...

We've been going through so much crap as a building recently. It is obscene. I can't imagine what an ordeal like this, if brought to the right people, could do. Probably nothing, from my experience. I'm honestly amazed we are still in business. Seems like half the packages we send, if they are not books or something built like a brick sh**house, are destroyed.
Googling {Canon toner adverse reactions} tells you in Section 7 & 8 to Avoid breathing dust.

Section 9...read the section Explosive properties. That is another issue. FYI.
To which articles are you referring to and do you have a link? I should also make it clear that it did not "explode" per se. A heavier package hit it while it was already damaged, and when I picked it up the contents fell outs, resulting in a truck filled with a cloud of airborne toner powder.

SubPop79,

This appears to be a clear OSHA violation.

You can obtain Canon Toner MSDS online.

Beware, my experience has shown me that Hazmat Designated Responders cannot be trusted to look out for the workforce.

PM me if you would like to discuss this issue further.

Sincerely,
I

PMing as we speak. I can't find said MSDS. I have a Canon page up I thought would bring me to it, but there is no "next" button. I can only select Nation, Language, and Product. Weird.

Sent using BrownCafe App[/quote]

browntroll

i would have refused to work until it was cleaned up if they decided to not clean anything, you rub the stuff over 2 boxes
and smash them together in front of sups to show them the mess you have to breath in. if they thinks its safe for you to work
in that toner dust then they should have no problem when it gets blown in their faces.

10 point

Well, nothing directly related to this happened today, which is a good thing. I heard a while back that they like to fire people on a Tuesday, and that did not happen. My main sup was nowhere to be seen today though, and our "alternative sup" who was running the show asked to see me after work and when that happened he just quized me on my DOK because the building manager is coming by tomorrow and he wants to make sure that his best guys know their stuff. Something like that. They tell me I'm a great employee and they talk crap on others while doing so but I get the feeling they do that with everyone for morale. It also seems like the building manager comes by after "situations" happen. Maybe I'm paranoid but, in a situation like this, could there be paperwork filed about that I am not aware of?

I just realized that I have idea what their actual titles are. Should probably get on that...

We've been going through so much crap as a building recently. It is obscene. I can't imagine what an ordeal like this, if brought to the right people, could do. Probably nothing, from my experience. I'm honestly amazed we are still in business. Seems like half the packages we send, if they are not books or something built like a brick sh**house, are destroyed.

To which articles are you referring to and do you have a link? I should also make it clear that it did not "explode" per se. A heavier package hit it while it was already damaged, and when I picked it up the contents fell outs, resulting in a truck filled with a cloud of airborne toner powder.

PMing as we speak. I can't find said MSDS. I have a Canon page up I thought would bring me to it, but there is no "next" button. I can only select Nation, Language, and Product. Weird.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Attachments

• TN1210_0103.pdf
    34.3 KB · Views: 156
Last edited by a moderator:

10 point

Section 11 gives the toxicological effects (on small animals).

This should be common knowledge to management by now considering how many cartridges we ship/pick up.

Last edited:

watdaflock?

Its too close to peak to get fired anyways.

Ya can probably expect to get canned some time in January. (kidding)

Maybe I'm paranoid but, in a situation like this, could there be paperwork filed about that I am not aware of?
I'm guessing but since it dealt with a hazardous package nothing will come of it.
You'll have to screw up worse. If you're that bothered about getting upset and dropping some "friend-bombs" just apologize for cussing and losing your temper.

* Tell your boss breathing in toner is hazardous but apologize for cussing. Also inform your sup' in the future (if another toner leak) you'll refuse to work in the area until its cleaned up.

Last edited:

Paulaanne

@SubPop79
Hello, I read your story and I can relate... I had that same thing happen to me with a toner package. Only difference is I'm a sorter now and I put the package on our tan belt and it busted open all over my head, face, neck, chest. I freaked out at first then, I was embarrassed so I ran to the bathroom and a coworker got one of the full time supervisors to come talk and they told me to wash my face and neck and then he tried to make me continue working and I refused. I told them who in there right might would work with this on there body. I was uncomfortable cause it was on my personal body parts and I wanted to go home to shower.. So after 30-40 mins of arguing with them I left... Then I talked to my Union about it and they informed me that UPS had to pay me because it wasn't my fault... Also I told them that toner isn't good for our human skin.. I had dry nasty skin for a few weeks after..

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I had green toner explode all over me in the back of the package car. Looked like the green giant.

SubPop79

I hope you all have washed it off with cold water. Warm water, with the right conditions, will apparently tatoo it into your skin.