Too weak

Appleyard

Hey guys, arms to sore to complete the shift. Lifting a 30 lb box feels impossible. I check the clock i'm only an hour into my shift. I don't know how i'm going to make it. I love to work at ups but my body is giving out. Bruises, cuts, soreness everywhere my body aches. I need this job! Help!

upsman2940

How long have you been at ups? It takes awhile for the body to adjust to the constant lifting pushing pulling. Hang in there!

Appleyard

I've been at ups for a week now. I'm afraid to tell my supervisor i'm having trouble keeping up. He looks so intimidating that if i show any signs of letting up or weakness he will fire me instantly. I'm presenority i feel so vulnerable. UPS is dark and cold when you're pre senority

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Hey guys, arms to sore to complete the shift. Lifting a 30 lb box feels impossible. I check the clock i'm only an hour into my shift. I don't know how i'm going to make it. I love to work at ups but my body is giving out. Bruises, cuts, soreness everywhere my body aches. I need this job! Help!
If you truely need this job then you'll be ok. Times like these test your character, don't let yourself get beat down by the man. Show your family and whoevers depending on you that they are worth all the headaches, bruises, sore arms,ect so you can provide for them. Look for something else if this isn't for you but stick it out until you nail down another job.

Even if you leave after you find something else, you're leaving on your terms. Take control of your life and make smart decisions to improve your life and not take the easy path of laziness. Blue collar jobs build character and makes you realize the value of money, I wish more kids would learn that before giving up.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yes give it about 3-4 weeks. When I started preload I worked in an auto factory from 4pm to 2:30 am then drive thru for a quick bite and off to preload. Slept from 9am-3pm if I was lucky. I recouped on the weekends stick it out it's amazing what the body can do when pushed.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Will my body adapt? Will it get easier over time like everyone describes? Is it worth it to go another day?

If you truely need this job, then you don't need to worry about this. Push through it until you find another job, or give up and blame someone else on why you couldn't handle it. You'll be a better person if you tough it out until you at least find another job. You'll look back after you have left, having a bad day at your new job, that it could be worse. You can at least take that away from UPS if you stay until then.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Yes give it about 3-4 weeks. When I started preload I worked in an auto factory from 4pm to 2:30 am then drive thru for a quick bite and off to preload. Slept from 9am-3pm if I was lucky. I recouped on the weekends stick it out it's amazing what the body can do when pushed.
And what it does for a mans/woman's character also.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was so tired, and sore I couldnt move. Epson salts is your friend in a good hot bath. It helped me not to think about it, just do it. One box at a time. Yes you will adapt, but in the meantime, it needs to be your priority, to get enough sleep, show up on time shove boxes, and go home and do it again. Dont think how sore you are, just think how good that hot bath will feel.

Appleyard

Jackburton thanks for that. I'm not only doing this for myself but for my family, and i know, knowing that i can go throiugh anything. I will never quit!

nystripe96

Here's a little trick I've learned. Take 2 Advil a few days a week right before work. You'll see that your muscles will become relaxed and your range of motion will increase. In about 2 months time your body will adapt to the workload. Are your fingers really sore? I bet they are. Well that will go away too. You're going to get stronger & healthier. You're muscles are being trained for work they've never done before. Think of this as your paid gym membership. Don't give up. It's hard to get fired if you just show up to work on time everyday. Just do your best

texan

Very hard to add to the great advice above. Just think of (in those weak moments when you want to quit) your family. Put a mental
image of them in your mind, their faces, their looking you in the eye and saying dad / mom, I need new shoes, dad / mom we need
this or that. Dig deep down and know that you will overcome, and get use to it. Your body and ability will develop with determination.

Indecisi0n

It gets easier. I take a protein shake in the middle of the day. Remember eating correctly helps the body recover faster.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is typical of those who are part of Generation Me.

The military has had to restructure (lower) their physical fitness requirements for new recruits due to the softening of America.

U

uber

This is typical of those who are part of Generation Me.

The military has had to restructure (lower) their physical fitness requirements for new recruits due to the softening of America.

I bet if you compared my physical fitness at the age of 26 (right now) to yours at the same age, it would blow yours through the roof.

Part of the reason you're the board piñata is because you always make generalizations like this.