Took Package Car Keys Home

mrbrownstone

When I got home this evening I realized I still had my package car key. Is this grounds for getting in trouble tomorrow. I live almost 40 min from my center so there is no way and probably no point in taking them back tonight.

Sent using BrownCafe App

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Just be ready to drive the biggest P.O.S. struggle-buggy in your building's fleet tomorrow. That's what our carwash guys do to us when we take the keys home.

PT Car Washer

I wish we had that option. Used to go to the spare key box and if we did not have a spare shop would change the key lock. Takes like 5 minutes. With the new FOBs and no spare FOB and no spare key the shop can still change the key lock and make it go. A lot of extra work for everyone else.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
worst case scenario is they won't be able to find the spare set. Your package car won't be able to be moved, fueled or washed. Someone will have to push it out of the way to put the lineup in. Your ears will spontaneously burst into flames from the people talking about the :censored2: who took their keys home. Like someone said, you'll probably get the spare with the bad clutch for tomorrow, but they will get over it. How did you get the keys with a big brass disc on them past our ever vigilant security guards?

mrbrownstone

worst case scenario is they won't be able to find the spare set. Your package car won't be able to be moved, fueled or washed. Someone will have to push it out of the way to put the lineup in. Your ears will spontaneously burst into flames from the people talking about the &#$% who took their keys home. Like someone said, you'll probably get the spare with the bad clutch for tomorrow, but they will get over it. How did you get the keys with a big brass disc on them past our ever vigilant security guards?

I know there are spare keys in my lock box. I just hope they figured out the code. The code is actually not my center code it has the code for another center in my building that it used to belong to.

Lol the vigilant security at my center doesn't bother drivers at all. They won't stop you from just walking out. They only seem to go after hub employees.

Sent using BrownCafe App

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Atleast this isn't the olden days...when we had real keys. How many old timers,left them on a shelf? Atleast once or twice?
I can remember going to lunch and closing the bulkhead door(hadnt been closed all day) and when i got back from lunch the Bulk Head Door key wouldnt work. I did my best sell to my on car that it HAD been working all day ,until then! We both laughed it off when he brought me a spare key.............do something like that today and the Telemactics machine would explode

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
an old timer who actually locked their bulkhead? most drivers back then had the door pegged with a folded up delivery notice. I noticed the other day I still had one of those big stainless bankers clips from the old delivery records in the bottom of my feeder bag.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The old wooden bulkhead doors had a hole in them. A driver here locked the keys in the back. Just happened to be in front of a sporting goods store. Borrowed a fishing pole and hooked the keys.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Anytime I have gone home and realized I had my keys still I call in an let the nighttime OMS know so he could pass the word onto carwash so that they can get the spare. no big deal.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Locked mine in the back once. 30 minute drive for the mechanic to bring me keys. Luckily I was walking distance to a fast food joint.
Atleast In the old trucks, you could pry the bulkhead door open. Screwdriver and your clip from your delivery records
Usually did the trick!

Before the stupid fobs, I just carried a spare set in my pocket.

Now that I think about it, somewhere along the line, I ended up with a master key that fit every bulkhead and rear door lock in our fleet. I am pretty sure I still have it someplace.