Top dog

hyena

so I was just wanting to rack some of you older guys brains. I've been thinking about going into full time management. Is it worth it ,in the long run? Union vs hourly ( we've heard it all before). Anyway serious answers only . Thanx for all replies

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Bruh...

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1434173245.645828.jpg

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
That depends upon your personal goals. My job is different than Small Package and have always been in the position to make things happen, resolve pretty large issues and set direction for my Center. I was an hourly long ago turning wrenches and wanted more out of my career. Not knocking anyone at all, but my personal desires were to move up through the chain. There is no secret of how to get ahead at UPS. Get some Sponsors, keep your mouth shut at the right time, practice being articulate regardless whether you know what you're talking about and act like you owe everything in your life to UPS. Oh and continuously quote Jim Casey and copy senior managers' silly expressions...."Let me do a listening check"; "help me understand"; "that's what good looks like"; etc... I couldn't do that, so my career stalled at the center manager level.

so I was just wanting to rack some of you older guys brains. I've been thinking about going into full time management. Is it worth it ,in the long run? Union vs hourly ( we've heard it all before). Anyway serious answers only . Thanx for all replies
Don't! Seriously Don't. You're always on the clock being in management.
Maybe our job is rough but when you punch out,its over.

Last edited by a moderator:

beentheredonethat

Sorry, I'm not sure of your details. If a service provider is relatively young, has a college degree and is not at top rate and long term goal is to utilize their degree, then I'd definitely say to move to management. After two years in management I'd redo my resume and look elsewhere. If you are a female or minority I'd also advise you to go into mgmt since that will get you promoted quickly. Otherwise, I'd stay a service provider.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
One of our FT supervisors, who had around 20 years in, walked out with no notice a few months back. He was younger too, late 30's. He was a decent guy, unlike many. Well-liked by most but probably the DM. When people walk out of 80k/year jobs without giving notice, there is a problem...and the problem didn't stem from him.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
One of our FT supervisors, who had around 20 years in, walked out with no notice a few months back. He was younger too, late 30's. He was a decent guy, unlike many. Well-liked by most but probably the DM. When people walk out of 80k/year jobs without giving notice, there is a problem...and the problem didn't stem from him.
Yep, that never happens at other companies.

beentheredonethat

Yep, that never happens at other companies.
Photog, I agree that other companies have management leave too. My concern from what i see at a district level, in regards to our younger management team, our best and brightest are the ones leaving since they have better opportunities at other companies. I see the average and MHN management staying. I'm concerned that so many experienced management have left due to retirement and the people replacing them aren't as good, nor as qualified. Too often we are promoting based on race and sex instead of merit. That also is hurting us and why I see why many quality white males are leaving in droves.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Photog, when a FT mgt person leaves without giving proper notice, how much more difficult do they make it on him/her to "cash out" their "non-monetary" compensation?
No idea.
I've never known a management person to not give a notice.

I'm not sure management has non-monetary compensation they can cash out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Photog, I agree that other companies have management leave too. My concern from what i see at a district level, in regards to our younger management team, our best and brightest are the ones leaving since they have better opportunities at other companies. I see the average and MHN management staying. I'm concerned that so many experienced management have left due to retirement and the people replacing them aren't as good, nor as qualified. Too often we are promoting based on race and sex instead of merit. That also is hurting us and why I see why many quality white males are leaving in droves.
No doubt.
I think everyone anticipated this and the new programs that UPS has put in place support this ... although they probably don't encourage it.

All the technology put in place to help plan, implement and monitor would seem to reduce the need for years of experience.

UPS has to find a way to get rid of the slackers and hanger-oners in a way that will not result in lawsuits.
Hopefully they don't find that way.
Eventually, the culture will morph into something better than it is today.

beentheredonethat

No doubt. All the technology put in place to help plan, implement and monitor would seem to reduce the need for years of experience.
I think that is what people in Atlanta think. However, the results I see from service complaints from customer, to actual service failures I see as technology can't replace experience and good management.

Eventually, the culture will morph into something better than it is today.
I hope it does, but I wonder how long it will take and if it will be quick enough.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
How much longer for Union employees?
Who knows? But the FACT is NOW, there is no more pension for new management. Would you have gone into management way, way,way......way....... back when if you didnt get a pension?