Top pay for driving ground in a shuttle

synystergates

Last Thursday one of my sups called me to drive out to the Main St. hub in Los Angeles about 2 hours after I clocked out. He made me some deal about driving that night and not having to come in and he would pay me for a previous error on my check. (resent post about jury duty pay) He was going to pay me 4 hours of my regular pay as a jury duty day. My question is, do I get paid top pay for the 2 hours I worked driving and unloading the packages to the Main St. hub? I just checked my paycheck and they only paid me 2 hours at my regular pay. What should I do? In situations like this, I was used to getting paid top pay for driving, but I would not clock out. They would just ask me at the end of my shift, around 4-5 hours, and they would just let me break and then drive out.

rod

Retired 22 years
Last Thursday one of my sups called me to drive out to the Main St. hub in Los Angeles about 2 hours after I clocked out. He made me some deal about driving that night and not having to come in and he would pay me for a previous error on my check. (resent post about jury duty pay) He was going to pay me 4 hours of my regular pay as a jury duty day. My question is, do I get paid top pay for the 2 hours I worked driving and unloading the packages to the Main St. hub? I just checked my paycheck and they only paid me 2 hours at my regular pay. What should I do? In situations like this, I was used to getting paid top pay for driving, but I would not clock out. They would just ask me at the end of my shift, around 4-5 hours, and they would just let me break and then drive out.

First of all I would be real leary about making a deal with someone that don't have the athority to "make deals"---especially "pay" deals:peaceful: Heck the way UPS opperates today I doubt a Center Manager could make a decision like that on his own.

some1else

Banned
So what would you do in my situation?

if you do ground work get ground pay period. i wouldnt cut a deal to get paid less than your contracted rate its seems kinda useless unless they are giving you something good in exchange.

just file a grievance once they deny the groundpay request. the contract is cut and dry on it.

synystergates

if you do ground work get ground pay period. i wouldnt cut a deal to get paid less than your contracted rate its seems kinda useless unless they are giving you something good in exchange.

just file a grievance once they deny the groundpay request. the contract is cut and dry on it.

Can you tell me where exactly in the contract is this info located?

Work right slow and safe

systergates (mike)?

You should get top pay for the shuttle if it was ground and main st is all ground i know (mark) sent me to ontairo shuttle one night and it took 4hrs
he paid me for only 3 at air pay. it was all air so that was fine but took one hr from me so for the 2nd time I had to go give him my hrs once more and then he broke it down to how many hrs it would be at my hub rate then paided it out that way If you need help let me know before start i sit out side the 800 line by the baydoor and will help you out

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
once you learn how to "deal" with them, you gonna see how they "deal" you back. don't do it,just stick to the principle and don't deal under the table at all.

some1else

Banned
this is a big problem in my building they act like you are a trouble maker for asking for the payrate you are contracted for. their offer was either work at my air rate (which is 7.5$ less) or not to work at all.

i asked the center manager what he would do if his boss offered him a 30% pay cut lol. it would take a hell of a deal for me to take that pay cut

hyena

Can you tell me where exactly in the contract is this info located?
Its article 40 I forget what section, and I dont have my bible with me at this time (lol). You really need to read the contract and get to understand it im not trying to preach to you just think of it as good advice.

hyena

this is a big problem in my building they act like you are a trouble maker for asking for the payrate you are contracted for. their offer was either work at my air rate (which is 7.5$ less) or not to work at all.

i asked the center manager what he would do if his boss offered him a 30% pay cut lol. it would take a hell of a deal for me to take that pay cut
Theyve done the same thing to me in the past. They dont anymore. Dont ask first do the job after its done ask them to pay you what you are entitled to, if they dont file. If they can bully you they will if you give them an inch they take 100 miles (thats probbably giving them to much credit). Stand up to them thats why I say learn the contract. Power is knowledge

some1else

Banned
right work as instructed, if instructed to do grounds request ground pay (even though we shouldnt have to but you do) before you leave on friday, if its not on you paycheck give them a grievance at the same time you give them the groundpay days the next friday :)

seriously they have it really twisted to make it look like we are asking for to much to be paid per our contract. if ft drivers were getting payed 7.50 less than their rate the union would be in a fit; air drivers? who cares

705red

Browncafe Steward
right work as instructed, if instructed to do grounds request ground pay (even though we shouldnt have to but you do) before you leave on friday, if its not on you paycheck give them a grievance at the same time you give them the groundpay days the next friday :)

seriously they have it really twisted to make it look like we are asking for to much to be paid per our contract. if ft drivers were getting payed 7.50 less than their rate the union would be in a fit; air drivers? who cares
While your at it ask your steward to have the pension plan paid an extra day for a ptimer doing fulltime work. (here ptimers are in the ups pension, while ftimers are in the teamsters)

some1else

Banned
While your at it ask your steward to have the pension plan paid an extra day for a ptimer doing fulltime work. (here ptimers are in the ups pension, while ftimers are in the teamsters)

i know your a big union guy, but here is my experience. alot of the part time stewards ( i was on preload) care about pt employees but any of the grievances they put in are just ignored by the union (the exception being sup work). now as an air driver i have to use one of the ft driver stewards and they really do not care at all. the only thing they worried about is giving the reg-temp who stole my ft posistion my hours see

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/regtemp-senority.192516/

after 4 years of this i left the union (right to work state). most stewards and some of the guys at the local actually care, but im not willing to give the union my money for them to take some off the top then give the rest to barack hussein obama, and then let me out to dry.

705red

Browncafe Steward
i know your a big union guy, but here is my experience. alot of the part time stewards ( i was on preload) care about pt employees but any of the grievances they put in are just ignored by the union (the exception being sup work). now as an air driver i have to use one of the ft driver stewards and they really do not care at all. the only thing they worried about is giving the reg-temp who stole my ft posistion my hours see

after 4 years of this i left the union (right to work state). most stewards and some of the guys at the local actually care, but im not willing to give the union my money for them to take some off the top then give the rest to barack hussein obama, and then let me out to dry.
At least when obama wins we will finally be able to get rid of right to work states, nothing i hate more than people that are willing to benefit from the hard work of others.

I am sorry for your bad experience with the union, but ask anyone on here that knows me, i will represent anyone, ptime on the preload, twilight, package car from other centers, air drivers and feeder. I have been elected to uphold the contract and until i get voted out or resign i will continue to do so.

some1else

Banned
At least when obama wins we will finally be able to get rid of right to work states, nothing i hate more than people that are willing to benefit from the hard work of others.
alot of people hate to be forced to pay union dues, much of which goes to support political candidates and causes that have nothing to do with the union. when i was in the ufcwu they sent out a mass mailing during an election cycle supporting a 4% sales tax increase. at the time i was working at a grocery store within 10 miles of the state line. so my union wanted to give the store 10 miles away a 4% price advantage to help me how? thats when i left that union.

I am sorry for your bad experience with the union, but ask anyone on here that knows me, i will represent anyone, ptime on the preload, twilight, package car from other centers, air drivers and feeder. I have been elected to uphold the contract and until i get voted out or resign i will continue to do so

if our local union had the same attitude they would be getting my dues. thats an advantage of right to work. if im forced to be a union member i only have one vote, in my state i have 2; the union elections, and whether or not to pay my dues.

705red

Browncafe Steward
btw red what would you do about this?

i know nationally it makes sense becuse they get initiation fees out of the new employee and continue to collect dues from both of us until im forced to quit. i guess thats why they allow it to happen.
We dont have cover drivers here in 705, either you are a fulltime driver or you work your way up through the ptime ranks, no preload and here take this route out bs.

some1else

Banned
We dont have cover drivers here in 705, either you are a fulltime driver or you work your way up through the ptime ranks, no preload and here take this route out bs.

terminology difference i think; by cover i mean ft driver just no set route; they just run whoever is on vacation same pay and hour guarantees though; generally 2-5 years until you can bid a route

but regardless why can ups hire seasonal employees and give them work (when i want those hours i was sent home today after 5 hours when regtemps are out 9.49) but even worse make them permament without bid?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Is you only job function as a delivery driver or do you work the preload and fill in for all offs and vacations only.

Here our swing drivers are on the package car seniority lists and are entitled to work before seasonals, this is why we do not have any seasonal package drivers right now.