Tour tomorrow. Load or Unloader position? Sunrise 4-9am

WhatUpBro

I'm 20, go to school part time (Graduating in december with associates), desperate need of cash.

I have been doing a lot of research about UPS.
Apparently the tour just shows you the job/positions and if available, they allow you to pick between loader or unloader, sometimes sorter.

Which position should I say I prefer during the tour when the go on 1 on 1?
As of right now I prefer unloading, since I've unloaded in the past at wal-mart..

barnyard

KTM rider
Evidently you did not search very well. A good search would have found threads posted by noobs that asked almost the very identical thing you posted.

WhatUpBro

Evidently you did not search very well. A good search would have found threads posted by noobs that asked almost the very identical thing you posted.

Thank you so much for this post and answering my question. I'm sure your other 1,724 post were very informative.

H

htown0721

You will not get the pick they will send you where there is a need for people. However, I would tell them you were interested in sorting because you get an extra dollar, same goes for loading the package cars. However, as far as picking where you work I have never heard of it, but if you do get a chance between load and unload I would go to the unload (personally, only done unload a few times but was a long time loader).

WhatUpBro

You will not get the pick they will send you where there is a need for people. However, I would tell them you were interested in sorting because you get an extra dollar, same goes for loading the package cars. However, as far as picking where you work I have never heard of it, but if you do get a chance between load and unload I would go to the unload (personally, only done unload a few times but was a long time loader).

Thanks, this helped a lot! I will be sure to mention my interest in Sorting :)

anonymous4

And you will get the opposite of what you want. It is rare for a new hirer to get into the sort isle, rarer for them to stay there permanently. You should get the extra sort dollar based on principal. This is in my area, it might be different in others. I have heard some posters claim no one wants to sort in their hub/center. I think that is not the norm.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
During peak, in the hub here, they hire for the sort aisle. come end of Dec, they are gone (95%). maybe one or two is offered a perm spot.

stoni24

If ur wanting cash load cars. It's all hard work anyway. U'll get max hrs per day loading"blown out" package cars

Kis124

And you will get the opposite of what you want. It is rare for a new hirer to get into the sort isle, rarer for them to stay there permanently. You should get the extra sort dollar based on principal. This is in my area, it might be different in others. I have heard some posters claim no one wants to sort in their hub/center. I think that is not the norm.
our hub puts new hires in the sort isle..some of the unloaders have a problem with that, but don't have the spine to file...

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
hahahaha you're not going to pick anything

they'll throw you where they need bodies, which will almost certainly be loading package cars, unless you look like some kind of goon, then you'll go unload trailers

the only people who are put in sort are the kind that can't do anything else right

Edit: if you'd rather be in unload though, mention to whatever FT supe that you have unloading experience, that may sway them

anonymous4

Yes, it is the same thing nationwide I would imagine. They can place one trainer with multiple sorters then send them to the load/unload after a month without additional training. They also seem to think sorting first makes for better loaders. In any case, most new hires who end up in the sort isle are gone shortly after.

the only people who are put in sort are the kind that can't do anything else right

Sorting is the only position of the main three that requires concentration and reading throughout the night, with the inception of smart scan. Your new posting style is piss poor. You are using the soulless term "bodies" so well, you must be on the cusp of promotion. Good job.

OptimusPrime

Yes, it is the same thing nationwide I would imagine. They can place one trainer with multiple sorters then send them to the load/unload after a month without additional training. They also seem to think sorting first makes for better loaders. In any case, most new hires who end up in the sort isle are gone shortly after.

Sorting is the only position of the main three that requires concentration and reading throughout the night, with the inception of smart scan. Your new posting style is piss poor. You are using the soulless term "bodies" so well, you must be on the cusp of promotion. Good job.

This used to infuriate me when I was a sorter. Back in the day you had to pass the 350 question sort test to become a sorter. But then we started hiring the dredges of society, and apparently that was too difficult. So they would just throw them on the aisle to learn as they go. So we would have to carry their dead weight.